Persistent displacement

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.
MadMage999

Persistent displacement

Post#1 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:45 am

I believe persistent spell is supposed to work for all spells level 3 and below.

Given that displacement is level 3 and is not persist-able, any reason I shouldn't make it persist-able?
Co-Founder: Arcane Society

-=<ICE>=-

MBH for real

pumpprodigy

Re: Persistent displacement

Post#2 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:08 am

By 3.5 rules, persistent spell effects only spells that are personal, or have a fixed range. Displacement has a range of touch, and does not qualify.
To that end tho, divine power should be persistable with strength domain, but is not, and I am sure there are other exceptions as well.

Since dispel is already a bit issue here for casters, I dont really see any problem with adjusting the spells to qualify tho. This is a very high magic server with ability scores in the 50 after all.

kc2345

Post#3 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:34 am

Good:
Arcanes (Wiz/Sorc) and Gishes are the ones that will benefit the most from this change, and they are the ones traditionally thought to be the most in need of buffs.

Mainly a QOL improvement as most arcanes can leave it up for 4-8 mins per cast anyway with extend. Also has benefits in freeing up level 4 and 5 spellslots (extended G. Invis) for offensive magic

Not something that is dippable to obtain, since 17 wiz or 18 sorc (or equivalent) are required to qualify.

Bad:
Kind of neuters the Swiftblade class by overlapping somewhat with one of its key features - only difference is dispel immunity on Swiftblade 6.

Can you persist displacement on another target? If so, it makes self-conceal pretty redundant if grouped with an arcane caster. Also not 3.5e legal if so.

Suggestion:
Make displacement target self only and then allow persist. Arcanes can still conceal others with G. Invis.

MadMage999

Post#4 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:37 am

kc2345 wrote:Suggestion:
Make displacement target self only and then allow persist. Arcanes can still conceal others with G. Invis.

Not a good idea, IMO. This would make it unable to be cast on buffing rod.

--EDIT-- Nevermind, I think I can do this, come to think of it.

-=<ICE>=-

MBH for real

Naamarikala

Post#5 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:31 pm

You can cast Blur (20 % concealment) on an item, even though it's range is personal. MM, you could use that as an example.

addict-ant

Post#6 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:25 pm

I like this idea - though don't think you should be able to persist it on another - caster only imo.

MadMage999

Post#7 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Don't worry, it will work on the buff rod, but only on yourself, same as fire shield and mirror image.

-=<ICE>=-

MBH for real

Return to “Proposed Changes”