LLCO Chronicle

Forum for the Roleplayers to hang out.
Sergoros

Re: LLCO Chronicle

Post#11 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Spoiler: show
~~~Dream sequence engage~~~
You can see two figures near each other.

You recognise one of them as your companion, Dorian. He is kneeling and bowing his head. The back of his left hand is covered in shadow.

The other one seems to be...a woman? She is completely covered in shadow, but judging just by her figure, you can tell, that she must be very attractive. For a second shadow moves out of the way, and you can see her face for a single moment. Both her eyes and hair look as dark as you can imagine. You didnt even realise that this dark shade of black is possible, it is like looking into the abyss itself. And the face, you dont think you ever seen the face so beautiful. Moment passes and her face is covered in shadows again...you forget whatever details you were able to pick up when you seen it. The only thing you remember is her dark eyes, hair and how enchanted you were by her beauty.

Once you were able to turn your eyes away from her face, you suddenly realise that two of them are talking with each other. But something is wrong with how you hear the woman, most of the woman words seem to be covered in static, you only able to recognise a few words from her part of the conversation.

-~Static~ disappointed ~Static~ - says the woman
-I am very sorry, My Queen. I didnt foresee that witch would betray me....
~~Static~ MY mighty Knight ~Static~ defeated ~Static~ mere Child?
-She is not a simple child, My Lady, she seems to be a powerful sorcerer of some kind! She never runs out of power and her magic reserve never depletes!
-~Static~no human ~Static~ defeating ~Static~ overestimated ~Static~
-No! My Queen, please, give me another chance! I wouldnt fail you again!
-Silence! The human ~Static~ weak. ~Static~ blood ~Static~ diluted ~Static~ force ~Static~ another!

The Woman figure grabs the shadow on the back of Dorians left hand and rips away half of it. A little shadow is now in her palm. She brings the palm closer to her lips and blows little shadow away. Instead of dispersing, It is now getting bigger and forms into the shape of the... You forgot it once you woke up. But you remember it being something strong.

When shadow grew as big as Dorians head, it started moving and landed on his shoulder. The shadow on the back of his hand started growing and expanding, it covered his whole hand, forearm, arm, and shoulder.

-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHh - You can remember Dorian screams. You are not sure how long it all was. A second? An Hour? Day? Time feels all wrong in this dream.

- ~Static~ Gift ~Static~ Razza ~Static~ wake up ~Static~ direction.
-ah...hah...Thank....you...M...Queen.....

Shadow was still growing, but at a way slower pace, it was slowly taking over his neck and going upwards.

- ~Static~ child ~Static~ master ~Static~ blood!
-Yes...My Queen, I will prove, that I am...ah..huh...Deserve...your attention!
- ~Static~ deserve ~Static~ Champion ~Static~ wake up ~Static~ unstoppable!

~~~Dream sequence over~~~

Only Gron and Yurei were able to see this dream.

Sergoros

Post#12 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:05 pm

4-th day of Alturiak. Year xxxx+1.
Letter from Dorian Redcliffe to the captain Gorges.

Just to prepare you captain, there are some bad news and some Good news, we managed to fend the troll's army off, but there were other problems with the mission.

Just as planned, we first started clearing the road to the cave, that would be a preferable habitat for the said army. It was not as easy as I would have expected, but after going through alot of healing potions, we finally cleared a way into the cave and ventured inside.

Inside of the cave we first had to deal with giant spiders, which was about of what I could have expected...but what we didnt expect was a fire elemental guarding the way up the stairs up to some kind of the evil wizards lair. At this point I would have turned around and went to some other, safer place to clean up, but suddenly entrance behind us was sealed shut with a reinforced iron door. We had no choice but to force our way through.

Fire elementals werent a big problem, but wizard himself....honestly...we were way out of his league, with just one spell he downed half of our party. Luckily, in the fight, we managed to break some kind of the seal, that was used to control all the fire elementals, after wizard has put us out of commission, his own elementals surrounded and killed the wizard.

All bloodied and barely able to walk, we crawled back to the village, but... to our surprise, stupid woman Leona managed to persuade some of her fellow villagers that we abandoned our duty and that they had to defeat troll and his army by themselves. Because of that, on our way to the village, we had to face a terrible tragedy... Every last one of Leona troops were dead and she herself was about to be eaten by the monstrous troll! Ofc, we ran as fast as we could and with the last tiny bit of my strength I faced the troll again, protecting the stupid woman from the certain death! Fooled by my bravery, troll decided that taking us on would be to risky in his injured condition, so, of course, he ran away.

Stupid woman, instead of saying thanks, mumbled, that we would pay for everything, and ran back to the village. We did whatever we could for the rest of her dying soldiers, but we only managed to save 2 people, the rest were injured beyond our healing abilities....so many dead, and all because of this foolish woman...

Later we rested and finally confronted troll and his army. With a proper plan in motion, we faced him with all our might! Seeing, that loses would be to high on his armies front, Troll finally agreed to leave the village alone and live peacefully in the cave that we cleared.

I warned him, that if he ever returns, I would face him again, with even stronger troops behind me! I have seen true fear in his eyes after my fiery words. Chances of him returning are abysmally low now, he truly fears us.

But what awaited us next was a complete surprise...the foolish woman...she dared....she claimed that we protected the cursed troll! That we foiled her plan and that if it wasnt for us, she could have killed the troll herself! What a dishonourable lie she cooked.... And worst of it...she managed to fool every last person in the village! Apparently, she has some influence on the people there.

Honestly, I was enraged, this damned, ungrateful, stupid woman...she dared to throw mud on the reputation of her saviours! Ofc, I didnt let it just be. Using my amazing talents and eloquence, I told a great story of our adventure and how we saved the village from the troll. Only the most foolish of the villagers still trusted a woman after this. Most of the reasonable people in the village have sided with us, Including a very talented blacksmith, might I add! Sadly, she had to much of the influence on the stupidest of the peasants, and...as we all know, most of the peasants are stupid as they can be. Tristan is a clear proof of it.

What I thought was cowardice in my previous report was actually something ridiculous, that I didnt even consider at first. Tristan and Sam...were persuaded by witch and Troll, that Troll and his army are peacefull!!!!!.... (text here seems to be a little unstable and not as straight as the rest)....hah....even writing this part without the laugh is hard. Troll persuaded them to not help their fellow comrades in the fight!!!!

But honestly, if only I could have had proper soldiers in my ranks, and not damn stupid peasants...At least Gron is a good to heart Soldier and knows how to differentiate between fellow comrades and monsters. With a bit more disciplined party, we could have avoided so many unnecessary sacrifices...And the guys Leona has lead to their certain death would still be with their families. Even thinking about it brings tears to my eyes...

In the end, I scrapped whatever I could from this shitty situation with my shitty troops. Village is saved, and about third of the villagers are grateful for it.

We would be on our way back to the trinity soon. Hope you would understand the situation and wouldnt blame me for this bungle.
Last edited by Sergoros on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Belferon

Post#13 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 am

Entry #2

Well, it's been a while since I've last written anything so I should probably correct that. Our mission today was to go to a small desert village and aid them with a problem they were having with monsters. Specifically a Troll and a lot of Kobolds and Lizard men.

We went to the village and talked with a woman named Leona I think? Bah, she's not important what was is that the village seemed pretty quiet considering this roving band of monsters was supposed to be destroying the town? There were even a few guards patrolling the town while we were there. This Leona woman however said that the monsters must be destroyed and that the village was in great danger... What a joke. This town was in about as much danger as the Tin-Man having a heart.

Speaking of Dorian, I think he actually fits the scare crow better, if he only had a brain! Ha! Anyways, we decided to go into the desert near the town and see if we could find these critters. Sure enough a big two-headed troll came over to talk to us. Yes... talk. So as Samar, myself, and the little one listened to the troll and were intent on finding out what was going on, the Scare Crow snuck behind it and attacked from behind! What an honor less coward!

After the Troll beat the crap out of him, which was extremely funny to watch, we finally understood that the troll and his little pals were simply looking for a place to live and didn't want to hurt anyone. So, I suggested the caves near by. I'd been in this area before luckily in my wanderings. Anyways, we made a deal with the Troll that we'd find him a good cave and that he and all his friends could live there and not bother anyone, and not be bothered by anyone either. Sounded good to me.

So, we set off to explore the next area and the caves within. It was rough going at first. We weren't expecting rock elementals or giant beetles and giant cats to attack us at every turn. But, after we killed off several of each of them they backed off. Especially when we killed a sand dragon! Boy we should have looked for it's hoard of gold! Ah well, next time I suppose. We finally found a cave that we thought would be big enough for all the critters needs. All that was left was to secure it.

This also proved more difficult than originally thought, as there were some sort of fire elementals in the caves besides all the normal critters! I was scouting ahead when I spotted the first one and ran back to immediately tell my companions. Luckily we were able to best the beast... er, elemental. We pressed deeper and deeper into the cave. Finally there was some strange room in the far back end of the cave.

In this room was some sort of, magic using being. He claimed that the cave was his and that no one else could have it or share it. Needless to say talking to this one didn't yield any results that we wanted. After a few minutes the door behind us shut and was magically sealed! A trap! We fought the magical man but to no avail. A few of us were knocked out by magic and then I was hit by some sort of spell, and really that's all I remember, but the Little One filled me in on the rest.

There was some sort of magical seal/ball looking thing she recognized on a stone bench. So she hit it a few times with her magic and then the Sam started attacking it. Apparently it what he was using to control all those fire elementals and more. This would be his undoing, for as the seal was broken the fire elementals decided now would be a good time to kill the man holding them all captive. Thus ended the cleansing of the caves. We went back to talk to the Troll and tell him the good news!

As we found the Troll he was hurt and pinned to the ground with Leona standing over him with a vial of acid in her hands. We had to act quickly and ran to the Troll's aid! A quarrel ensued with Leona and our party and in the end she ran off but not before the Troll was freed and he ran off. We searched for the Troll, and that's when we noticed all the bodies of men, Kobolds, and Lizard Men as well. Apparently this woman decided to attack the Troll and his friends before we could come back and deliver the good news to him! What trechary is this?!

Now the lady ran back to town and started telling folks all sorts of wild tales about us while we were telling the poor Troll the good news about the caves. Not that he needs such a large cave now that most of his friends are dead except two Kobolds I believe. What a tragedy this turned out to be. And the foolish women was to blame for all this loss of life. I think even the Tin-Man was upset by this, and he doesn't even have a heart!

I shall leave off here to think on all that has happened and reflect.

Tristan Eagle Eye

Lady Seline

Post#14 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:35 pm

My clothes are ruined, and now I no longer have spares... I have to use my tenday best and they're already covered in his blood. I don't know why I'm even doing this... He's just another person like back then. Part of a lynch mob out to destroy the innocent!

*Yurei scowls at the fireplace where the water is boiling, The small village cottage is homey, though lacking in many rich furnishings. However you look at it though its still far better accomodation than that which she shares with her sister in the slums. If feels... welcoming. Lost in her brooding she is startled when a hand tugs on her blouse*

"Is Papa going to be okey?"

Oh... right... that's why. She'll just end up like Anita and I. Stop scowling at the tiny village girl you idiot, you're scaring her! Thats it, smile and nudge! Lie like Red is doing in town right now... I'd stop him but whats the point. If it lowers their opinion of the lynchmaster maybe Ted and the villgers wont end up corpses like back then. Thats it, you know the drill... spike that shadow, twist that thread of the weave, make them see the smile and not the scars... that's it... just as Youfu taught us...

*Yurei smiles and soothingly pats the small girl's head reasuringly, as she takes the clean towels the girl brought and lifts the boiling kettle off the fire, pretending to need one to hold the handle*

"Is what the man in town saying true? But Leona said that..." the mother asks as I move to their shared bedroom. "Oh I'm sorry, I forgot you don't speak!" she states as she covers her mouth aghast.

Its probably best if I get our side accross sooner than later... And this family's word will count for a lot more than Red's I think.

*Yurei just smiles at her, and after filling the basin with hot water and before sterilising her hands she writes a note in simple, precise and neatly written common.*

"Its ok, goodwife. I apologise for the inconvenience of my condition and I'm grateful for your consideration. Pay it no mind. In truth... not really. Serr 'Red' is... big on hyperbolie so he's, shall we say, altered his own importance. That said the essence of what he says is absolutlely true. This is all that idiots fault. She's a bigot. Aparently I'm a monster too if you ask her. Yes the refugees next to you were not human, and yes they took firewood when they were refused aid so they didnt die of exposure. However in their theft... was anyone hurt? No. Did they attack first yesterday? No. Did your husband, and all those other men *neat strike through* Sorry did those other men have to die? No.

We were sent as the legal representatives of Trinity guard to mediate and assess the situation, if it had warranted combat do you not think they would have sent a whole squad of armsmen? Also even if we had failed or died, you all still should not have done anything like that, as reinforcement would have immediately been sent from Trinity's nearest garrison as soon as we failed to report in. That is noblesse oblige, and your only responsibility as a tax paying vassel is to defend your own home and walls unless called to arms for war, not to attack without the support of the millitia or army.

I managed to stabilise your husband's wounds last night with what was left of my dress as bandages and once I clean the cuts I'll rebind him with these cloths you have provided. Its my hope that this will prevent infection, combined with what herbs and magiks your healer can provide. Could you cut them into neat strips for me while I sterilise my hands and then place them in the boiling water. Careful not to burn yourself, its still bubbling. Maybe ask the little one to wait for the healer, maybe make some tea if she's big enough to handle the kettle now? I'm sure the healer would like some when she's done here. It may keep her distracted and not worry."

*when Yurei finishes her rapid writing and places the note on the bedside table, she plunges her hands with rolled up sleves in the still bubbling water, much to the womans shock. After sitting on the nearby chair to read the note carefully, the woman looks up curious, then quickly talks queitly to the anxious child. Filling a second basin with hot and cold water, she begins to cut the cloth into neat strips with her maiden knife as the child following instruction carefully takes what is left of the hot water back to the main room to make tea. They work in silence, the woman lifting and moving her husband and removing the mans crude, red velvet bindings now soaked with blood, as Yurei replaces them with propper linen bandages, binding them as she was taught to by the Nuns.

Once the healer arrives and takes over attending to the man, the wife draws Yurei discretely to the side.*

"You seemed angry, and scoweld a lot while you tended the fool of a man my husband is. You didn't really want to help him did you... why is that?"

*Yurei looks out the open window*

How can I tell her?
But how can I not?
History repeats if you don't break the cycle...
I dont want to talk about it beacause time does not heal all wounds, there are those that remain painfully open...
But what if it just refuels the hate if she knows what I am and cant accept it?
What hurts the victim most is not the cruelty of the oppressor but the silence of the bystander...

But really... what have you got to loose? At least i still have Anita, thanks to Youfu.

*Reluctantly she pulls out one of her few reamining parchment sheets, and begins to write*

"I watched my mother burn alive when I was about your daughter's age. My mother was, attacked by an evil man. One who was not fully human. But mamma always loved my sister and I, and never blamed us for his vile acts. But the others in town... they never saw us like our mom, only like him. They hated us just because we were different, and eventually... they started to hate mamma too because she always accepted us. Shortly after our fifth winter a famine struck our village. A man, who was spurned by mamma for being mean to us riled up a lynch mob agains the 'devil spawn and her witch mother'. I awoke that night coughing smoke, My lungs and throat were soon in agonizing pain and all I could hear over the roaring was mamma's screams as I saw her face melt right in front of me *the ink around this point becomes smudged by water drop stains* I couldnt get to her becuse a roof beam had fallen on the shared bed on our side of the hut. I was pinned under the matress the beam was holding down. When I could move because the straw matress had finally burnt through I tried to find my sister. Her arm was gone, crushed by the same beam, and she was unconcious from shock and so I grabbed her other hand and pulled her out the burning hole in the back wall. I kept dragging her into the fel-wood, further and further, as the mob eventually found the blood trail and gave chase, though they lost us in the dark and thick foliage. When they eventually found us... well... If the wandering sorcerer hadn't found us too from the house fire and commotion we'd be with mamma now.

I don't like lynch mobs.
I don't like people who treat any peacful creature ill when they have commited no serious crime.
I particularly don't like them who do so just because of their species, igoring how they behave.
This mob was pointless. It was never needed. Everyone died because the followed a bigot. Again.

Ironicly, I kind of wish Serr 'Red' would learn this too... I guess we both have problems. But your little one deserves a loving family. I just miss mine."

*she listlessly passes it backwards with one hand and just keeps staring out the window. She does not expect the hug that smothers her from behind, or the hand that musses her hair round her horn nubs.*

"Thankyou for saving my fool husband. I'll have words for him when he wakes, you mark my words. You're a wonderful child, your mother would be proud."

*Yurei just stands there in numb shock, disturbed when the healer walks in and the goodwife asks her to watch her daughter for her for a bit as she has some people she needs to talk to today. When Yurei eventually leaves town later that day she briefly spies the same goodwife with a small crowd of womenfolk and supporters speaking to Samar, possibly thanking him maybe as the woman passes him a letter, who knows?*

((this 'letter' is the second yellow paragraph written above))

louballic2

Post#15 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Lady Winter's Notes:
Lord Winterhome: was pleased at how the guardsman dealt with the non humans. He's not it. Lady Gray seems only concerned with foliage. Quechub - seemed troublesome and meddlesome - and Is Winter's prime suspect - - - but apparently he supports the guard? The privy man impression was he gave nothing away. What is he even doing at such a gala. He would the perfect cat's paw

EDIT: Hurried impressions: Sir Samar Bordello escapade, Yurei's note taking of skills, and clever rumor, Gargoyle bettle larvae, Gron - scoin? Red keeping the group together (was worried for a while)
Last edited by louballic2 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

louballic2

Post#16 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:55 pm

Ode to a Rat I found on the end of my Sword

Oh, way wabbly
How doest thou wriggle and writhe
betwixt life and the stew pot

Ye verily rat stew is awesome
Thy delicious little body set
to sustain our souls

Hark now though
thy perfect form
ideal for sewers and offal eating

Methinks discretion the better part of valor
Thou too perfect a form may lead to distress on our part
So go free little rat and pray no seiges partake - for then surely thine fate would be sealed
Last edited by louballic2 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sergoros

Post#17 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:49 pm

9th day of Ches, Year xxxx+1
Notes to self.

Why am I even making this. This is so stupid. Diary is not something a proud man shall have. When I was a child, this was something my sisters would usually do...

But this has become necessary for me now. I feel it. I am not the same man that I was a year ago. Something is changing in me. I dont react the same anymore. I dont feel the same anymore. I dont even...look the same anymore.

I need to do it, to confirm that I am still me.

I didnt understand Her Blessing first. I thought of it as good luck charm. Like something a lady would give to her knight as an inspiration, so he can win in the upcoming tournament.

But, I was wrong, I underestimated this gift. It is taking me over now. Even now I feel how it spreads, how it changes me. This is like my body is being remade anew everyday. I dont feel the same emotions, that I had felt before. I mean, I do, but they are..somewhat bleaker. If, in the past, Sams and Tristans crude humour would anger me. Now? I mostly just feel pity for them. For how small they are. For how insignificant their lives are. Even the basic instincts are different. If, before, I might have considered taking a few tavern wenches for a night of entertainment... There is no such desires in me anymore. It feels childish and unnecessary.

Just rereading these notes helps me understand myself better now. Maybe this is how it is to have power? To not bother about small and insignificant things? I Wonder if my grandfather have been the same? I always thought that he was just boring, but maybe this is the price? At least suffering still tastes the same. Maybe even better. That Johnny guy was delicious, just looking at his squirming...I so wanted to torture him some more, but this is not the time for it. I have to keep up the good image.

Now, lets gather up my thoughts and see if anything else has changed in my thinking.

First, my companions. There are 6 and a half of us now. Yes, Razza, you would be the half.

*My closest companion is my new teacher Razza, he was sent to me by Her. But he is also made from me. I dont know how She does it. Or if time even matters for the ones like Her. He was made next night after he was sent to me. He teaches me how to adjust to my new body. And he gives me useful advices here and there. He also distracts all enemies around me with illusions, even if they can see through his illusions it still distracts them the same. Even if you know that shadow blinking here and there before your eyes is an illusion, it is still impossible to fully ignore it.

I still dont understand what Razza is, but, apparently, nobody can see or even touch him. This is like he himself is an illusion. If it werent for his abilities, I would start doubting my own sanity.

*Second in the list I would place Yurei. She backstabbed me once. I was very angry at her. I even cursed her. Literally, she is cursed now. She is unable to hurt me with her magic anymore. Why is she the second then, you ask? Ofc we should be mortal enemies now? Old me thought the same. But now? I think it was my fault. I can't just do what I want whenever I feel like doing so. I may be 100% right and fully rational. But other people...they are different from me, they are weaker and emotions control them, like they controlled me before. Just like they control Yurei now. I should learn to understand my companions emotions and funnel them in the right direction. She was the one, who taught me this lesson, indirectly.

Also, about a month ago, I have found out that she is not fully human too. I verified it. She has horns on her head under the hair. It explains alot. I even feel like there is something deeper in her, something she hides from everyone. She has this mask of naive child, but there might be something deeper there, something dark, that might make her a proper ally to me. But I can't be sure yet. She holds her cute little child mask way to tight.

*Third is Good ol pal Gron. The most reliable human companion I have, at the moment, he is not encumbered by Sams and Tristans stupidity. And he just does what has to be done. Sometimes he goes to far, but it is easy to calm him down. If I ever want somebody to protect my back, I know he is the guy to rely on.

*Fourth would be our new companion Winter. She is a bard adventurer. She is somewhat known it seems. At least captain felt she would fit right in our party. It is somewhat ironic how Winter joined our group just after actual winter was over. I dont know much about her, and this is why she would fit just in the middle. She can sing, I guess, she can talk, and she can...explode traps with her own hands, it seems. Just make sure to stay away from her, when she "disarms" traps. Gron did catch a bit of the explosion too.

Now, we are going right to the top of "who I would prefer to never see again" list.

*Tristan....He is a rube, of course. With all the implications. Crude sense of humour. Low intellect. Low skillset. Low intellect. No charisma. No intellect. Wait? I feel like I repeated something here. Well, it must have been important if I repeated it for some reason.

Overall, he might have been good for me, if only he had fighting spirit like Gron has, or if he, at least, knew to listen to his betters, but Sam obviously was a bad influence on him. Encouraging him to think by himself, which obviously is wrong for the person such as he. The less his kind thinks, the better for them.

*Sam...This guy is the worst. I dont understand how guy like him managed to survive in this world. He is not stupid, but he acts like a clown. He is a thief and a killer, but he thinks of himself as the good guy. He have the ability to plan, but wastes it all by acting irrationally and covering himself with cow dung. I can complain for hours on how his existence in this world is illogical, and by all laws of nature he should have been dead ten times over, but it would be a waste of my time. This is what he is. His Very existence symbolizes what I hate the most. The wastefulness. He is just like my father and brothers. He has the potential, but it is all wasted. He is what I could have been, if I only gave up and let the flow carry me to wherever.

With this taken care of, I think I will shortly recall the events of the past month.
------------------------------------------------------------------
While we were still in bloodsands, blacksmith helped to adjust the armor for my unique needs. With my body changing, I would need to hide it from other humans, dont want to attract this kind of attention. With my vow idea, it might even give me this stoic "humble, but reliable" image, as a bonus, it would make me famous as somebody, who always keeps his promises. just what I need for my future plans.

There was the first time when we first met the bard, Winter. Honestly, she didnt look like much. But, captain later recognised her as somebody more reliable, so I dont have the room for complaints. If he says so, I only can nod in the return.

My vow worked out just perfectly, nobody even questioned it at first. There were some questions later, but they were more out of curiosity, not out of suspicion. Whats important, is that they all now believe, that I have an important, respectable reason to never remove the armor from my body. Which was especially good, because our next missions were all about masquerades.

While we were in bloodsands, the mercenary that we caught, was finally broken and he revealed everything he knew about Dowagers. Or, at least, about his mercenary group, that works for dowagers. Apparently, they were paid to do so by somebody with big influence in the city. One of the high nobles probably.

And this was our next mission. We all had to masquerade as minor nobles and attend the next big party, where we would try identify the culprit. Softly ofc, without attracting any suspicion. Ofc, I didnt have to masquerade, so I was just playing a role of sams bodyguard. I had a mixed feelings about this, but, overall, if it lets me keep my secret, it is worth it.

What happened next was a shitshow. Apparently, some guard recognized sam and welcomed him by his name, I was thinking of multitude of plans of how to get out of this...instead...Sam just Loudly introduced himself, and not only himself, but even said MY name. Things like this are the reason I hate the guy. His nihilistic "do first, think later" attitude. The rest of the party I tried my best to become invisible and pray that other guests would forget me. I dont want to change my name again. Especially now, when I am actually trying to make a big name of myself.

Luckily, I was successful and, I hope, nobody even remembers me. Later we gathered all the info and concluded, that most suspicious person in the circle is the lady Gray. Next day we gathered together, and, despite sams and tristans mood to clown around that day, even managed to cook up a good plan on how to properly investigate lady Gray.
-----------------------------------------
And, as expected from plans that are properly cooked and come from the right head (mine, ofc), This plan worked just perfectly. With the help of the captain we received the right papers, uniforms for my crew, and Yurei was even spreading the rumours about the dangerous plant parasite all week.

We stormed the lady mansion, all looking intense and scared for her life. Talked a big tall story about the Horrible Gargoyle Beetle Larvae Parasite, that spreads via plants and then infects the walls and foundations of the building itself, later bringing it to ruin.

After a bit of persuasion and performance of me gravely releasing dust from my fist (that I collected beforehand) and claiming that if we dont hurry, the whole mansion would fall on our heads, we were left alone in her mansion to properly investigate every corner of it. We wasted quite a bit of time of looking at every corner of the mansion, but didnt really find anything out of the ordinary. In the end, Yurei saved us by placing a book on the bookshelf which, activated some hidden mechanism and revealed a secret door behind it.

There we met Johnny. I didnt grasp his character at first. He was way to stupid and unreliable. He doesnt look like a guard. He also doesnt look brave. But he claimed that he can't allow us to go farther....but he was such a wimp, that he couldnt possibly stop us. I restrained the guy with 1 hand easily, he just kept whimpering that we shouldnt be here. Honestly, I was very suspicious of the guy. You really see such a honest to the heart coward, but my spell told me, that the guy isnt evil, so it is unlikely, that he was something more, than he was looking to be.

Anyway, I just kept carrying the guy with me all the way through the corridor. When we arrived to the end of it...there was some kind of the portal. I started analysing it, but wasnt able to grasp much information about it, Razza looked like he knew something, but before I was able to ask him, Everybody, but Yurei and me suddenly entered the portal....
Yeah, why not. Just silently go in and pray that there is no lava pit on the other end. Brilliant! I was thinking of maybe sending Yureis rat first. Or maybe asking Razza to fly in and check. Not sure if he is able tho. Distance where he can exist is only limited to few feet around me, but maybe he might catch a glimpse of whats there before disappearing? I would just resummon him back right away anyway. But no. Just waltz right in, why wouldnt you?

Anyway, Razza confirmed that from his analysis this portal is safe and we can go in safely. Which we did right away, fearing for what might have happened with our "smart" quartet over there.

They were fighting zombies, sigh, didnt even try to ran back and call us for help. Just went right in, hoping that we would follow. They would have been dead if we didnt tho. Not from the zombies, no. Not even from the traps, that Winter was explosively "disarming". But from the big hellhound that swiftly killed three of us, before I managed to attract its attention and make it focus on me. Gron and Tristan butchered the dog, while it was distracted trying to bite through my armor.

I didnt even manage to try most of my anti trap measures, between Winters "disarming" and sams unique skill "Throw his own half dead body at the trap, maybe it will disarm it". At least now I know that I can disarm a trap by throwing halberd at it. Weapon was destroyed as a result tho. But might be worth it in certain situations. It isnt that expensive. Might try the sticks next time, they are cheaper. At least sticks definitely can open chests. Chest was not trapped tho.
Winter later entered the room and happily opened the chest again, screaming "Yay! Chest!". She didnt ask me if I checked the chest for traps. She also didnt check it for traps herself. Just saying, I am glad that Gron choose to train in healing arts.

In the end, we discovered that Lady Gray had nothing to do with mercenaries or dowagers, but she was approached by the Lord Henry before, who was proposing for them to ally in some unsavory business. Hellhound was also sent to her by him, as a gift. We plan to investigate him next.

After we finished with lady Grays mansion, I told Yurei to clean up all the mess and to make it look like we were never there. Everything was put where it had to be, and Johnny was tied up and placed inside a wagon. We later imprisoned him in temporary confinement, so he wouldnt blow our cover. Goody shoes in my party plan to later release him, after everything is good and done. Me? I would have killed Johnny near the chest and blamed everything on him, but I have to do things differently now. For the whole group to work together, we have to compromise.

I later told lady Gray that our cleansing ritual was successful, but we might have heard some weird screams from the upper floors. It might have been our imagination. After all, she told us that she was leaving the mansion empty. This would have been terrible, to have a living being in the range of ritual. It would slowly disintegrate every cell in persons body. Living them to die, slowly, in pain and fear.

Ofc, she would assume, that Johnny, cornered by the ritual, would try to escape in the portal, where spell would follow him, spreading and disintegrating zombies and the dog there. Commotion would make all the traps trigger, and, in the end, he and all his belongings, would have been destroyed by the same trap, that made my halberg disappear.

Thats what I hope she would think, at least, lady Gray had no choice but to confirm, with the forced smile, that it Was all our imagination, and mansion was empty.

I love it when the plan comes together.
---------------------------
Dorian smiles and clothes the book.
-Everything is going to be Just Fine.

Sergoros

Post#18 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:16 pm

16th day of Ches, Yeah xxxx+1
Report to Captain Gorges
As was ordered, we have arrived to the stronghold to investigate what lizard henchmen of lord Henry is doing there.

We have faced some resistance in the form of local "squatters". Later revealed to be potential mercenaries. Poor lads didnt want us investigating farther in the stronghold, so we had to teach them a lesson. Among the mercenaries, there were about a dozen spellcasters. We even faced some summoned beasts on our way. Your scout Doc was very useful, but quite slow. I had to kick him all the way up the hill, in case we face some traps. Winter still managed to disarm one trap Sam style tho. Thats what she gets for running ahead and not waiting for Doc to tread the road first.

After killing about 50 or more mercenaries, we managed to get to the stronghold and found Lord Henry's lizard there. He was careful at first, but then he suddenly said, that he heard about us and prepared for an attack. Lizard has used some kind of necklace, that summoned a big demon and one succubus. I first incapacitated a Lizard, and then went to help the group in dealing with the demons. Luckily, my curses made the job easier, than it might have been.

As by the orders, we couldnt bring the lizard to the trinity, so I had to start interrogation where we were. He didnt wish to speak at first, and told us that he would rather die, than tell us anything. Naive beast. 15 minutes, 8 broken fingers, 3 peeled off skin patches and few slowly removed claws later, he was begging for death. But he will only receive it after he told us everything he knew.

Now, to the actual results. Our suspicions were correct and even more. Lord Henry was behind Dowagers. He was planning to create a united crime syndicate in trinity, operating under his control. Poor lizard believed it to be done for some greater good, that Lord wanted to somehow diminish the crime by uniting it? Stupid lizard was obviously manipulated by the Henry too. Lord must be planning to use them for some nefarious needs. As evidence, we got the letter from lord henry to the lizard,signed by him too, with orders to hire more mercenaries for Dowagers. Also, we have the broken necklace, maybe arcane society can point it to be connected to the Henry.

Also, I have a map with secret entrance to lord Henry's estate. Lizard said Henry's estate has underground connection to the Dowagers, so that could be a way to get both Dowagers and stronger evidence against Lord Henry too. Lizard also mentioned, that Lord Henry has some powerful magic artefacts in his estate. Must be cautious, when infiltrating it, otherwise, who knows how many more demons he can summon?

I was pleasantly surprised with Yureis behaviour on this mission, she played a perfect carrot to my stick. Looked so kind and caring for the poor lizard. Even made him give us few more info pieces on the Lord Henry. Her perfect performance really helped with the interrogation.

Overall, everything went well. Now, about the problematic part. While I was interrogating the lizard, Winter and Sam were interfering in the process and distracting me from the job. Winter first tried to kill the Lizard before I finished with the interrogation, but I managed to stop her. She then tried to use a sleep scroll, but my resistances are simply to strong for her pitiful spells. Worst part of it, if she managed to stop me, we wouldnt have received the map to the hidden entrance. Not even mentioning other vital Intel on the lord Henry. She claimed that we "had enough" with the letter, and that I had to stop the torture. Naive girl. Our lives might be at stake, and she thinks extra information is unnecessary.

Sam was mostly a distraction, but he argued, that we must bring lizard alive to trinity, cause "he didnt want to kill, just because captain told him to". Hypocrite. He murdered like a dozen guys on the way to the stronghold. Just for not letting him walk through. But when enemy is defenceless, his conscience suddenly wakes up and he starts crying over every little thing.

Lucky for you, Captain, you have me, the guy who knows how to properly finish the job. I didnt listen to the hypocrite and killed the lizard after receiving all the info we need. In my humble opinion, you might want to somehow punish Sam for his potential insubordination. If he isnt taught a lesson, he might tarnish the guard reputation one day at best, at worst, his attitude might lead to the death of his fellow guardsmen.

Above mentioned letter and the necklace are both attached to this report, as evidence.
Last edited by Sergoros on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

louballic2

Post#19 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:02 pm

OH! Nights dark and drear,
That's when Faceless Dorian,
The Fingerbreaker hunts.

Women scream
and children flee
When faceless Dorian walks down the street

When you see the broken fingers
was it an accident
Or IS IT the work of faceless Dorian the fingerbreaker

Os that the slamming of a door
or the stirke of a hammer
Or is that the tread of faceless Dorian

No finger is safe
where he treads
Men stand around in groups whispering

Is that faceless Dorian
No one Knows what he looks like
He could be anyone

Do not ask what happened
It was faceless Dorain
The fingerbreaker

Copied from dischord from CountyBoar - Contains serious (but not breaking) philosphical spoilers but is fun to read
Steve the accountant, the dowagers, and the demons are all physical manifestations of lord Henry’s sins. Steve is his greed, dowagers are gluttony, hezrou is sloth, and succubus is lust. Henry is in the process of removing these sins from himself in order to become a perfect being. Soon all in trinity will have no choice but to bow down and worship the living god of Lord Henry Witherbottom
(Not really of course)
Last edited by louballic2 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lady Seline

Post#20 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:17 pm

WIP: revisions possible
This is a rough script, that will have Gorge's actions altered after consultation
1st to implement: Loose cannon is a bad fit for Dorian. will be changed.
I take a sip of my third caff of the day, my eyes feel like my arms after practice in the training yards. Just the last few reports to read and scribe up and I can finally get out of this tiny nook of an office and get some sleep. One screw up. Thats all it takes. One ticked off noble and you get exiled to the corner office. Set up for a failure and assigned a job everyone just knows is a mineshaft collapse waiting to happen. Once you fail, they scrape you off their boots and throw you out like yesterdays courtesan. To the hells with that! Like the hells I'll go down quiet. They give me a bunch of rocks, and I'll polish them with my arse crack if I have to just to get a gem. Its a balancing game, right? Dorian gets the job done, sure, but he's a loose cannon. No restraint. I need to pair him up with a break. Someone to keep his more extreme acttions in check. Samar may be a jokester, the playboy doesn't take anything serious, but he has the background to at least be listened to by Dorian and reigns in his excesses. Gron is level headed. What he doesnt show in initiative, he makes up with tenacity. Like a barghest. Loyal and deadly, he'd have made a good sergeant if he'd joined the regular mallitia. But this stacks things too much in favour of the nobles. Tristan was to be a balancing point, another point of view. We'll see how it works out, too early to see if it worked.

I take a nother swig of my caff, long cold, as Colin bids me good eventide from my door. Good kid. Starting to work less late hours due to his newlyborn. Good for him. Got to remember to shift his hours round. I'll take him off the late shifts and move his route to the less risky areas. I jot a note down on my notebook for tomorrow. Just two more reports to go..

Things were looking good at first. They did well in the sewers, and managed to handle the outlying village issue with minimal loss of millitia assets. That pleased my bosses, but I wish the locals hadn't gone off the rails. The squad dynamic has been thrown off blalance though. Those two wildcards.. When the church wanted us employing some of their youngsters and my superiors insited I wrote it off as a PR stunt. I expected some fresh nosed priestly acolyte with no idea how the real world works, but consoled myself that the squad would get some lacked healing. Less bodies, less paperwork. Boy was that wrong, I mean how young was the lass they sent over? When i realised it wasn't a halfling I nearly sent her right back home. I would have if they hadn't point blank insited I couldn't in advance. More of her influence maybe? Early successes making my failure in doubt, so gotta throw in another disaster in waiting? Jokes on them then. Despite her youth and complete lack of divine blessing this firestarter has spirit, if not good health. A frightning knowledge of theology, basic spycraft, and common sense despite a lack of book learning. Earnt from a tough life on the streets no doubt. I was shocked to see how quckly she spread a rumour though, it shows a significant influence or popularity in the poorer social circles. But by the divines, that was a pain fielding all those paniced functionaries railing about an infestation, I'm glad the gambit paid off. That bard though... I'd have just painted the doll a minor nobility fleeing an unwanted spouse, but the last private report filed by the little lady warned she dabbled in demonic powers. The private report I requested from my snitch in the ecclesiastical administration mentioned the origin of the kid's talent, but this Winter... she never mentioned her source of training and that has me cautious. I'll wait and see. With luck a bard can put a better positive PR spin out to the locals, as all the rest of them that can speak seem to only do so with scowls and growls.

I take another sip of caff, scowling at its thick taste like grit spread over cold and muddy water. Saving the 'best' report for last. Redcliffe's reports are detailed, but it takes me twice as long to read filtering out what's his ego and what's real then filtering out all his more... extreme statements. A noise of commotion near the front of the building reaches me as I put my tankard down and start to read. At least his handwriting's legible;
"As was ordered, we have arrived to the stronghold to investigate what lizard henchmen of lord Henry..."
As I slowly parse the report, the noise gets gradually louder. I frown as I look up towards the door, and pay more attention. Raised voices? Has one of the perps coming in or heading out of lockup thrown a tantrum again? Are those mercs hitting the station to bust out their representative? As the shouting draws nearer I hear a heavy thump.. rythmic like a heartbeat, enough to set my bones shaking and make me grasp at my scabard of my blade leaning agains my desk. Thump... thump... THUMP... Whatever that is its big. Quickly I push the chair back so my feet wont get tangled if I need to act fast and grasp the hilt, and sure enough the thumping stops at my door as it is thrust open hard enough to slam against the back wall and make my tankerd jump on my desk. I find myself staring right... at a crotch. The crotch of the biggest damn full-plate monstrosity I've ever clapped my eyes on. My eyes drift up to the emotionless gaze of its eyes yet as I try and draw my blade out and face it, it refuses to leave my scabard. My mind races, analysing causes.

"I'm so sorry Captain Gorges! She just wouldn't stop and is refusing to speak to any of us at all!"
The voice of Betty, my adjunct who takes my messages when I'm out of the office calls out from behind the massive golem and the owner stalks out from behind and into my room. My eyes pan down to her... then down... down some more. My very first thought in my shocked, clouded mind was "By the Gods! What the hell has happened to Yurei?" Half her normal, cheerful face is a molten mass of horrific scar tissue. In a daze the first thing I think of is Leona came to town with a bigger flask of acid but as my mind races thoughts pop into my head as the child walks to my desk dressed in the blackest armour made of scale and chain.

Step: I cannot draw my sword which means some form of divine protection.
Step: The divine protection to ward off aggression prevents aggression. She hasn't come here to fight.
Step: The golem is also covered, it must have a link to its master: Its a shield golem.
Step: Yurei has no divine power, This is not Yurei.

Step: This child's hair is too black and too long. Yurei's is dark brown, this is black as night, grown to hang down loose.
Step: This girl is positively thrumming with power, it would be a bad idea to piss her off.
Step: More importantly, she looks... Really pissed off! As in hellhound using my manhood as a chew toy pissed.

That last thought had barely passed through my mind like some unexpected stray rowboat stumbling up to the dock pier in a fogbank right about the time the child reached my desk and slammed a note down on it with her heavy metal gauntlet. I take the hand off my hilt and put on my best diplomatic face. Some faint part of my mind in the far off distance is cackling, and taunts me with a quiet voice, "its another of their messes, you know that right?" and silently dreading its the truth I slowly take my seat and pick up the parchment. Expensive... probably usually for spellwork.

"I'm fine, Betty. Could you clear off the crowds I can hear rattling sabers out there? I'll handle the situation.", I make a gesture to the young lady to take the seat opposite but she shakes her head and remains standing, her eyes boring into me like diremoles into a turnip field. I push Dorian's report to one side and read the note. Precise hand writing with exacting angles. Traditional sign of a wizard's training since they need precise geometry. I file that piece of information away in my brain for later;

"What in the nine hells are you all playing at? When my sister chose to sign up to work for the city watch we both knew there would be some unpleasant situations to deal with. We expected to run into violence, maybe some domestic abuse that sort of thing. Neither of us is naiéve enough to not know enhanced interrogation may happen in serious cases, but what in Mystra's name posessed you to perform one IN FRONT OF A TEN YER OLD GIRL?"

Dorian... it could only be Dorian, I can feel the headache coming, pounding like the drums at my impending exection for letting this happen on my watch. The political fallout of this kind of thing even if just a rumour will litterally get me buried, forget just burying my career! I rub my temple, and resume reading.

"I do not appreciate coming back from the graveyard shift to find my belovéd sister sitting in our tiny, rusted bath scrubbing herself raw trying to get the blood out of her hair. Nor do I appreciate having to hold her all night just so she can get to sleep. Its bad enough she has nightmares about watching our mother burn to death right in front of her, something she never speaks of in detail to me, but to have these new visions keep her awake now too? You damn well better sort this out or by Mystra I wont just come in here next time with a damn letter!"

I take a deep breath, and release it. Sadly it does little to alleviate my high blood pressure: sonemthing not helped by all the caff I've been drinking. Composing myself I speak politely,
"Ms... Mortisfillia? Thankyou for bringing this very serious matter to my attention. I was just about to read the report of today's mission events and was not yet away of any details", as I point at Dorian's report I pushed to one side, "Please rest assured now I'm aware of the propriataries that have been overlooked I'll... speak very VERY strongly to those involved. You have every right to be upset that such an.. unpleasant scene had to be witnessed not only by one I have see to be a gentle hearted maiden of impecable character but one whom is clearly a young child. If Ms. Yurei needs a few days off I shall grant it no questions asked, at full pay of course, no need to speak to me before hand. She's either here tomorrow or not. I will make any neccessary excuses."

I maintain eye contact to impart my seriousness to her. One sky blue, and one white and cloudy on the scarred side. Combined with her angry frown I couldnt help briefly thinking of a rageing storm, which as I watch thankfully begins to dissipate into calmer skies. With no words spoken, she bobs a formal curtsey, and with a swish of skirts glides out of my office with her golem in tow. THUMP!... Thump... thump... I take a calming breath and look up to see the crowd of guardsmen at the door.

"Back to work you lazy sods! No-one wants to pull an all nighter if we're not on the night shift. I expect your report to be on my desk in the morning, Roberts! Same to you Bryce!", I snap breaking the scene up.

Now how in the hells am I going to broach this to the squad and actually get them to think of the long term political ramifications of their actions in future? The last thing we need is some bard singing about this kind of thing all around town! I'll think of some excuse to get Yurei away while I speak on this matter if she's there tomorrow, or I'll get another visit from that walking avatar of young rage...
Last edited by Lady Seline on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Roleplaying Forum”