Monk Build

This is the place to post builds and or questions on builds.
Nivar

Monk Build

Post#1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:08 pm

Greetings Trinity Builders.

With the recent Monk Changes I am interested to hear what everyone is considering an optimum Monk build for endgame content. With the Monk Features focusing around Wisdom that seems a no-brainer to have that as your primary stat, I have spent the last few days leveling up an Assimar Monk and just hit ERL 2. Base stats are Str:12 Dex:12 Con:14 Wis:20 Int:10 Cha:10 level 1 feat intuitive attack. EDL 1 I put 5 more points into Wisdom. I am thinking that I should put EDL 2 points into Dex. Current build has him going 30 levels of Monk, I am open to other ideas for optimization. However, at level 40 I would like as many Monk levels as possible. Right now with gear and all level ups into Wisdom he is at 48 so pushing the 50 maximum. Thanks for any suggestions and help offered, I am enjoying the new beefed up Monk quite a bit.

kc2345

Re: Monk Build

Post#2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:43 am

Monks are pretty good now after their update.

Some general pointers:
1) If you are planning for a level 40 end game build, aim to maximize your stat point usage. ROT is extremely generous with stat point boosts, and it is entirely possible to have 2 stats at 50 by the time you hit 40. This is as a character gains 10 points from hitting level 40, 20 from ERs, 5 if Easy Mode is selected, and another 12 from Wish Shard feats selectable at ER3. This gives a total of up to +47 to all stats. Magic boosts are up to +12, so do not push any stat past 38.

For level 1, a min-max build should hence aim to maximize stat totals. For an Aasimar monk who plans to max Dex and Wis, this could look like: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 10 - in order to maximize the point buy system. By 40, stats would be something like: Str 8, Dex 38, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 38, Cha 10 without Easy Mode bonuses. With your starting stats, your stat distribution would be something like: Str:12 Dex:36 Con:14 Wis:38 Int:10 Cha:10 - which is still serviceable.

2) Build with a primary fighting style in mind. For a monk, this means either PTWF, Unarmed or Ranged. Unarmed has better damage at early-mid levels, but with top end gear and set bonuses, PTWF comes out ahead due to the extra attacks scaling better with static damage bonuses. If going ranged, the best options are a crossbow (better damage) or shurikens (better AB)

3) Try to obtain the full monk set, either by trading, donations, or visiting the auction house. The monk set adds a scaling damage bonus of up to 8d12 per hit (52 average), which is nothing to sneeze at. It also offers various immunities, and a +11 shield AC bonus. You can find the details from the set item catalog accessible from the main site.

4) The Sacred Fist PRC has had it's weapon penalty removed. It's really worth considering mixing Cleric/FS/Paladin/Ranger with Sacred Fist for additional buffing power for your monk.

Return to “Player Building”