Fighter (29), Weapon Master (7), Frenzied Berserker (2), Elemental Warrior (2)

This is the place to post builds and or questions on builds.
Turiim

Fighter (29), Weapon Master (7), Frenzied Berserker (2), Elemental Warrior (2)

Post#1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:15 am

Hey Forum,

how can I make that build better?
http://nwn2db.com/build/?285037

Sincerely,
Turiim

kc2345

Re: Fighter (29), Weapon Master (7), Frenzied Berserker (2), Elemental Warrior (2)

Post#2 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:18 pm

I'll preface this by saying that the build as-is is probably going to be able to do the campaign, but will have issues with post campaign content. So if your intent is simply to build a character you'd want to role-play without too much consideration to min-maxing, then it is perfectly serviceable.

If you are trying to build a min-maxing build however, I noted the following :

1) Con is not especially great for a secondary stat as you get a lot of HP from gear and base HD already. Pumping Con would basically be worth 200 hp or so at 40, which is about a 20% hp boost for a base 1000 hp character. Instead, I would pick either Cha (divine might, shield, bard cheese) or Dex (Robe AC, Champion of the Wild, Two weapon fighting) as the secondary stat to amplify AC and damage.

2) Elemental Warrior fits the RP concept well, but is honestly deadweight in terms of pure power. You lose 1 BAB simply by taking the first level, and the benefits (20% ranged conceal for limited duration) are simply not worth the cost. Frenzied Berserker for supreme cleave isn't bad, but late game enemies take quite a few rounds to kill, limiting the number of times cleave triggers and hence its usefulness.

Instead, I would pick either:
I) Barbarian 2 - Take the first barbarian level after 20 and you can take epic prowess instead of a rage type. This nets Toughness, Epic Prowess and Uncanny dodge as feats, and also allows access to one of the best non-set helmets on the server

II) Blackguard/Cleric or Paladin - For Cha secondary builds. This would give access to Epic Divine Might (2x Cha mod as unresistable divine damage), and divine shield (+5 Dodge AC). BG and Paladin options get huge save boosts, and the cleric option allows for domains (evasion for expose weakness is a strong choice).

III) Bard - With just 2 Bard levels and 25+ base Cha, it is possible to spend 4 feats to pump Inspire Courage to +6 AB/Dmg, and get a passive +2 AB with battledancer. Subtracting the lost BAB at bard 1, this is +7 AB/+6 Dmg for 2 levels and 4 feats. Low Cha builds get +5 AB/+4 Dmg for 3 feats. Note alignment clash with paladin.

IV) Champion of the Wild - For a dex build, dual scimitars with this would out-damage a single Falchion due to adding Dex mod damage and the huge number of extra attacks per round.

3) Fighting style - I see you did not take monkey grip, so I am assuming you plan on 2- handing the weapon? If you do so, you should take the shield skin feat for a 1+BAB/5 AC boost, or 8-9 AC at 40 for most high BAB builds. Alternatively, take monkey grip for a shield. This option gives +14 shield AC at the cost of about 15 damage per hit.

Finally, do plan on a 30 build before a 40 build, as the 30 -> 40 climb is extremely slow, and relevelling is relatively inexpensive on this server.

Turiim

Re: Fighter (29), Weapon Master (7), Frenzied Berserker (2), Elemental Warrior (2)

Post#3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:08 pm

wow thank you for the detailed replay :o :D

i will work on it for now and ask again if i need anything else

Turiim

Post#4 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Hey KC,

what do you think of my Barbarian build?
http://nwn2db.com/build/?285401

konst3d

Post#5 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:07 am

Another question is - does uncanny dodge works with dodge AC provided by the divine shield? Dodge AC from other sources - boots, feats, etc?
Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

Itaasi

Post#6 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:24 pm

konst3d wrote:Another question is - does uncanny dodge works with dodge AC provided by the divine shield? Dodge AC from other sources - boots, feats, etc?

Yes. Uncanny Dodge makes Dodge AC work when flat-footed, no exceptions

kc2345

Post#7 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Barbarians are extremely mediocre without their class set, but if you do want to build one, there are a few minor changes.

1) If you have the set and want the purist bonuses, then you need 36 Barbarian levels. You can replace the remaining 1 Barbarian level with a fighter level for an extra feat. If you don't have the set, consider taking 12 Fighter levels for the passive AB and damage bonuses.

2) I am not sure what your weapon plan is. You have monkey grip at 1, yet took weapon focus in the battle axe through the war domin. The battle axe is a 1 handed weapon for non-small races, so the monkey grip feat is completely unnecessary.

3) If going war for weapon focus, take luck of Heroes at 1 instead of Monkey Grip as it's not available for taking later unless you burn a cleric domain on it. Otherwise, take power attack at 1 and take the Luck and Water cleric domains.

4) Battledancer doesn't actually check that you have bard levels. Instead, it checks how many bard songs you can do per day as a prerequisite for taking it. Hence, if you equip an item that grants extra music or the artist feat, you can take this feat with less than 5 bard levels for +2 AB and then remove the item after. Do note you need significant UMD to do this as the items are typically restricted to Bards.

5) I prefer the standard rage over whirlwind. YMMV. Extend and extra rage arent worth it as rage lasts fairly long in ROT. Get Epic Rage instead.

6) Skip improved power attack. A rule of thumb is that +5AB means an average of 1 extra hit landed per round, 2 hits per round if going with a Double weapon or TWF. As a Strength based EDM build, you're going to be hitting North of 170 per blow. Gaining +6 damage per hit is not worth the loss of 1-2 less hits per round unless you're fighting extremely easy enemies where even your poorest iterative attack has a 95% chance to hit.

konst3d

Post#8 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:57 am

Itaasi wrote:
konst3d wrote:Another question is - does uncanny dodge works with dodge AC provided by the divine shield? Dodge AC from other sources - boots, feats, etc?

Yes. Uncanny Dodge makes Dodge AC work when flat-footed, no exceptions

Good to hear, thanks!
Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

Return to “Player Building”