Advice on Fighters

This is the place to post builds and or questions on builds.
Samyx

Advice on Fighters

Post#1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:36 pm

AGhost_7 wrote:
Samyx wrote:I believe pure "high-technical" fighters are somewhat underpowered in a high-magical world,

I'm not sure what you mean by technical fighters, but I do believe that fighters hold their own pretty well. They are more reliant on gear than casters (of any kind), of course, which means that they're weaker at the beginning but do catch up.

By "technical fighters", I mean full fighters with 30 or nearly 30 BAB at level 30. ALl fighting classes, without diping into bard/sorc/cleric/whatever to get immunities or goodies. They pray BAB, the one and only god.

And i disagree with you about fighters holding their ground in an high magical world, when you see the spells scaling with ER and epic confluence. Remind me please what scales with ER when you're a fighter ?

Well, any advice about how to build a decent fighter is welcome, anyway
Last edited by AGhost_7 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This topic is a split of "Taking suggestions/requests for new items"

AGhost_7

Re: Advice on Fighters

Post#2 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 pm

On RoT, fighters do hold their ground pretty well. They're able to function if dispelled, which is very common. Gear is pretty insane, and so damage is never lacking at the higher levels for fighters.

Fighter is a vague term, if you could specify the archetype that you're looking for I'm sure I could throw something together.

Samyx

Post#3 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:25 am

Hi,
My archetype is here :
Level 30 : Fighter 18, DC 5, WM 7. All non-AB-CAP feats on, all critical feats on.
Level 35 : I add the last 5 levels of DC
Level 40 : I add 5 levels of Elite commando (way of slayer)
Race : Yuan ti.

My goal is to maximise AB without spells (which I don't have, mind) and crush ennemies using weapon damage (so far a gladiator blade). In order to do that, I push on survival up to level 30 :
- Yuanti SR
- Steadfast determination.
- Evasion gear
- DC saves bonus.

Level 31-35 will increase my AC as I trigger the armor optimization line using DC bonus feats. And armor skin using a free feat.
Levels 36-40 will be aimed at increasing resistances where needed, depending on gear I can't imagine at that level.

Equipment :
- Bull turken armor
- Scorpion helm
- No rings or gloves of real interest (merely I use them for regeneration or STR bonus, but I can't find interesting rings for warriors)
- Grimstead shield, not crafted yet... (I used the grimstead towershield up to now, but it hindered my AB)
- Dragon plates boots
- Unghart belt (the one that immune to death magic)

So far that's the plan. I may change it during ER1, if I feel lelve 30 without 90AC cannot be survived, and then I will replace the critical line (inproved critical/cleave/great cleave/ovewheliming critical) byt the armor line( the 3 armor optimization + armor skin).

I may make the build public in nwn2db if you want to review it in detail.

What do you think of it ?

Cheers

AGhost_7

Post#4 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:52 am

You can get a lot of cheeze into a build with dipping into a medium BAB class. Is that a no-go for you?

Samyx

Post#5 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:44 am

There is no such thing as a no go when building enjoyable PCs. I am all ears !!!

AGhost_7

Post#6 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:15 pm

My favorite dip right now is rogue 4. You get evasion, access to a huge skillset, and uncanny dodge. Uncanny dodge works on RoT, so its a pretty nice way to compensate for lack of immunity to critical hits. Evasion permits you to take expose weakness(auto-hit bug), and the feat itself is nice.

So with that in mind, I'd say that the levels of fighter that you'd most likely want to aim for is fighter 14. You get +6 STR thanks to the Epic Stoicism which is available only to fighter 13+ characters at the shard processor(details here).

So that's 18 levels of down.

Warrior of darkness or anointed knight are great classes for many reasons. The obvious one is the spell protections that the class provides; high will and spell resistance. I greatly recommend it for "straight-ish" fighters. 10 Levels of that then...

Frenzied Bezerker 2 for increased attacks: The problem with Power Attack and WM's is that there are so many ways that things can go wrong that its usually not really worth the investment. So for more damage, capitalize on the number of attacks; which is how most powerbuilders go about on here. FB 2 is easy to squeeze into the build in pre-Epic as well in this case.

Something like this perhaps: http://nwn2db.com/build/?169120

Samyx

Post#7 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:24 am

Hi,
I am surprised by your advices :

My favorite dip right now is rogue 4. You get evasion, access to a huge skillset, and uncanny dodge. Uncanny dodge works on RoT, so its a pretty nice way to compensate for lack of immunity to critical hits. Evasion permits you to take expose weakness(auto-hit bug), and the feat itself is nice.
->>> there are many random drops with improved evasion, including rings, (update : now there is one in stonakor shop), so rogue is useless except if it gives access to a very special rogue item useful for warriors, which I yet have to find.

So with that in mind, I'd say that the levels of fighter that you'd most likely want to aim for is fighter 14. You get +6 STR thanks to the Epic Stoicism which is available only to fighter 13+ characters at the shard processor(details here).
->>> yes of course my target for STR is 32, so +6 with epic stoicism and +12 item I will reach the 50 cap.
->>> why Fighter 14 ? 13 is minimum for stoicism, but 18 is needed for Weapon supremacy. useless feat ? It may count agaisnt AB cap, but I am far from +20. +13 form weapon, +1 tacticain feat, and... what ?

So that's 18 levels of down.

Warrior of darkness or anointed knight are great classes for many reasons. The obvious one is the spell protections that the class provides; high will and spell resistance. I greatly recommend it for "straight-ish" fighters. 10 Levels of that then...
->>> Being Yuan ti removes the need for these lines of class. Immediate SR.

Frenzied Bezerker 2 for increased attacks: The problem with Power Attack and WM's is that there are so many ways that things can go wrong that its usually not really worth the investment. So for more damage, capitalize on the number of attacks; which is how most powerbuilders go about on here. FB 2 is easy to squeeze into the build in pre-Epic as well in this case.
->>> in the description it is said that FB increased attack is not stacked with haste. As Haste is available since char level 2, what is the point of those FB levels ?

Well, that does not mean I have better ideas !!

So far my build :

30 : Fighter 18, WM 7, COTW 2, Elite commando slayer 3
I reach final 50 STR at ER2+Epic soicism
40 : Fighter 26, WM 7, COTW 2, Elite commando slayer 5

But...I am sure beter ideas are aournd !!

Samyx

Post#8 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:39 am

Ok, let's say i want to keep my fighter 18, WM 7. 5 levels to dip somewhere. what do you advice to get the most of those 5 ?

MortisCorpus

Post#9 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:08 am

Champion of the wild 2, Shadowdancer 1, Weaponmaster 7, Fighter 20
Administrator, Dungeon Master

Samyx

Post#10 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:35 am

That would be for dexer ? for a brutal one, HIPS is useless, no ?
I record the idea, however.

Return to “Player Building”