@CAB: Warlock Changes

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.
Brumm

@CAB: Warlock Changes

Post#1 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:07 am

Hello everyone!

I decided to use the forum for this because it is easier to keep track of everything. I think I am mostly ready with a first round of Warlock class updates. The reason I was quicker than expected is that I discovered a bug in our code which made Warlocks that bad. Without the bug the problems they had should be more or less gone.

1. The bug I found
Our current spellresistance code doesn't factor in bonus CL if you are not a Paladin (quite funny, eh?). Fixing this should make most problems Warlocks had with SR a thing of the past. The EX code caps SR out at 40 + 2 * EX so even on EX6 you shouldn't get higher SR than 52 at the moment (with the exception of SR tagged mobs and those mobs that have higher baseline SR of course). Piercing that should be quite easy for a dedicated Warlock. A full CL Warlock without any feats already gets 50 CL + 1d20. This is further increased by spell penetration feats and Master of All Essences. I doubt that we really need an invocation to further lower SR on enemies under that circumstances. The only thing we need is something to dispell mantles. But that can be easily added to one of the existing invocations.

2. The changes I made to Warlocks
The changes I made are mostly what I already described on the Discord channel:
- I added Autoquicken, removed the penalty for having it and removed the penalty for having HIPS. Requirements currently are Epic Blast 1d6 (Auto I), 2d6 (Auto II), 3d6 (Auto III), 4d6 (Auto IV)
- I set the duration of blast shape secondary effects back to their vanilla values.
- I adjusted Warlocks CL and DC scaling to be consistent with the scaling of all other caster classes.
- I changed the blast dice damage to be adjustable on the fly so we can test what a good blast dice is.
- I changed the number of Glaive attacks to be BAB based; you get 1 attack for 10 points in BAB. They now use vanilla melee touch attack rules but the penalty for each subsequent hit is -10 on your AB rolls.
- Explosive damage feat should work for warlocks.
- Harsh casting does not.

3. Followup changes
After getting the baseline right we can modify some of the invocations and Warlock PrCs.

Just let me know what you think.

addict-ant

Re: @CAB: Warlock Changes

Post#2 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:35 pm

I have hardly any experience with the class, so I really don't think my opinion should count for too much...

That said - my 2 pence/cents worth is that nothing there looks unreasonable from where I'm sat and happy to proceed unless someone with more experience can point out some flaws.

Kalzanin

Post#3 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:42 pm

I am pretty much same boat as Ant - all these look reasonable and we have the ability to adjust the power of the blast dice to reasonable numbers ...

I am all for testing Warlock out whenever you give the word - excited to test and to learn about ze Warlock :

Brownyman

Post#4 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:16 am

Can’t wait to try this!

kc2345

Post#5 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:39 am

All the changes generally look reasonable.

Will definitely need to beta test to determine if the theory matches the in-game experience.

Brumm

Post#6 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:43 am

Thanks for your votes. I'll commit the changes as soon as we sort some problems out we are currently having with the recent plugin update. Everything goes to beta then for a few days. I'll keep you informed.

bsb5652
Site Admin

Post#7 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:22 am

Yes, there is something that we have turned on in the 1.6-1.9 version of Naam's NWNX plugin that break the inter server portalling we use. Naam is working with me on it as a priority and we will keep all appraised as we go. It was in our regression testing on core game functionality on BETA that we discovered this issue.
Brian Bloom

Realms of Trinity Executive Producer & Game Creator
http://www.realmsoftrinity.com

bsb5652
Site Admin

Post#8 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:41 am

Nam has fixed this issue and we are all systems go for testing and rollout post testing.
Brian Bloom

bsb5652
Site Admin

Post#9 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:46 am

@Addict-Ant @Brumm @kc234567890 @Tom D @Browny @kalzanin CAB Members please email me / Forum PM / or direct message me here with your votes on Warlock changes detailed here. viewtopic.php?f=49&t=5325&p=40327#p40327
Brian Bloom

Brumm

Post#10 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Shot explanation: These are not the final Warlock changes of course but we have to make a server push soon to get the journal bug fixed. I'll further work on the Warlock in the near future. I plan to play a Warlock myself from the beginning during that time to get a better feeling for what we have to do. But this process will take a bit longer of couse.

Return to “Proposed Changes”