Ice Slinger on Throwing Weapons and ER3 Cold Iron

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.
kc2345

Ice Slinger on Throwing Weapons and ER3 Cold Iron

Post#1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi all,

Currently the Ice Slinger line of feats is made completely obsolete by ER3 Cold Iron as the 4d6 Cold damage from Cold Iron overwrites the 3d6 Cold from Ice Slinger. This makes the 34 (!) Shard investment into Ice Slinger a total waste of shards for anyone who builds a thrower (Cold Iron on armor is not great, especially for a weapon user).

Could Ice Slinger be changed to Magic damage? The line of feats could be renamed to Magic Slinger I-IV, and it would add up to 3d6 Magical damage. This should be fairly easy to implement.

On a side note, it would also be nice to put a minor HP and passive regeneration component to Unlimited Throwing Mastery I-VII to match up with Forging.

Perhaps something like +2 HP per Mastery level, with +3 for Mastery VII, and +1 Regen per 2 Mastery levels. This way, a character who hits Mastery VII gets Throwing weapons with +15 HP and +3 Regeneration - exactly matching the amounts available through forging.

Fraggle

Re: Ice Slinger on Throwing Weapons and ER3 Cold Iron

Post#2 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Hello,
i dont wanna vote for something or critisize, just mention , that the whole Throwing Weapon Line based on your Calculations. Who is interested, feel free to check this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5053&hilit=throwing+mastery .

Brownyman

Post#3 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:29 pm

Its a bit like the Adamantine Legendary 4d6 bludgeoning weapon conflict... and why no one has warhammers , warmaces..

kc2345

Post#4 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:54 pm

Naam has said that his plugin would resolve the ER3 Adamantite and Bludgeoning weapon issue - i.e. The enhancement bonus would stack with the bonus dice damage.

This means that the closest competitor to throwing, slings, would gain the ability to benefit fully from ER3 Adamantite, changing the calculations from that old thread. (Slings are Bludgeoning)

I am therefore looking to do the same for throwing and Cold Iron to keep them roughly on par again, as previous calculations were based on the assumption that both slings and throwing have a non-stacking metal.

konst3d

Post#5 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:39 am

Make it stack? So if you have Ice Slinger 3d6 and apply Cold Iron - give 7d6 cold, not 4d6?
Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

kc2345

Post#6 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:14 am

I would be happy with that too!

Only issue is, what happens if you put ER3 Cold Iron but have Ice Slinger at less than 4?

konst3d

Post#7 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Make it additive. Your current cold damage + 4d6.

kc2345

Post#8 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:28 pm

That does make sense from a logic POV.

From a programming POV however, it requires a lot of effort.

There are 4 different Ice Slinger feats. This means that there are 10 different programming conditions to check (with/without ER3 Cold Iron with Ice Slinger 0-4), with each setting cold damage to a unique level.

Programming wise, it would be much easier to set the damage type of Ice Slinger to Magical (a single damage type integer change and a .tlk file update), and have Ice Slinger work independently of ER3 Cold Iron.

konst3d

Post#9 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:57 am

The only problem I see - different ice slingers are using different damage dices, d6 and d8. And it's kind of hard to add 4d6 to 2d8 for example. :)
What could be done to simplify the things - make Ice Slinger IV a prerequisite for Unlimited Throwing Mastery - Cold Iron.
So the code could look like this:

Code: Select all

function generateThrowingWeaponStack()
{
   // ...

var coldDamageDiceCount = 0;
   var coldDamageDiceSize = 6;

if (player.HasFeat("IceSlingerIV"))
   {
      coldDamageDiceCount = 3;

if (player.HasFeat("UnlimitedThrowingColdIron"))
      {
         coldDamageDiceCount += 4;
      }
   }
   else if (player.HasFeat("IceSlingerIII"))
   {
      coldDamageDiceCount = 2;
      coldDamageDiceSize = 8;
   }
   else if (player.HasFeat("IceSlingerII"))
   {
      coldDamageDiceCount = 2;
   }
   else if (player.HasFeat("IceSlingerI"))
   {
      coldDamageDiceCount = 1;
   }

if (coldDamageDiceCount > 0)
   {
      // add coldDamageDiceCount(d)coldDamageDiceSize of cold damage
      // to your shurikens\darts\axes
   }

// ...
}

But changing ice slinger to magic stinger is also possible solution. :)

Return to “Proposed Changes”