Proposed Changes - Healing Spells

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.
Chemic_al

Re: Proposed Changes - Healing Spells

Post#21 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:50 am

KC, I suppose it's something. You can never stop a FS taking a cleric dip for uncanny dodge and turn undead anyway, but if they prefer to spend it for free Augment Healing instead of evasion say, that's their choice.

Part of the problem you suggest is lack of offensive casting - and lack of usefull spells so a fav soul really has no difficult choices in spell selection at all!

If I remember the fav souls used to get a boost on healing why not tone the healing down so a cleric does more base than a fav soul?

I'm not sure cure light wounds doing up to 525 is sensible either, 125 ish should be where it's sitting with max investment, it's a level 1 spell after all! Mass cure light should be the "top up" not heal half an average 40s hitpoints.

kc2345

Post#22 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:39 am

I don't think making Clerics better healers than Favored Souls through making their base healing better is good design.

Instead, differentiating clerics further through making their domains more impactful would lead to more variety rather than locking them to a "best healer" role.

The animal companion rework is nearly ready, and this makes the animal domain very impactful indeed. If the other domains are brought up to similar levels, clerics would be a highly variable, versatile caster.

Making the CLW - Heal gradient steeper by making lower level heals weaker could definitely be done, but I don't see a huge benefit to doing so as this would severely compromise the performance of Shaman and Druid healers who have lower tier healing. At the moment, they're still performing worse, but not so bad as to be borderline useless.

525 CLW requires Max CL, 100 Heal skill, and 3 feat dedication to healing. At that point, some potency should be there even for the lowest tier healing.

addict-ant

Post#23 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:22 am

Chemic_al wrote:If I remember the fav souls used to get a boost on healing why not tone the healing down so a cleric does more base than a fav soul?

just FYI - this bonus was removed some time ago to help level the playing field.

Brumm

Post#24 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:26 pm

Just for your info: I was looking at domains recently and thought about a few changes. Seems to be a quite interesting field to me with a lot of potential.

Havoc189

Post#25 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:40 pm

I am in favor of cleric domains getting some improvements they are not well balanced. some domains are unimpressive and do not make practical choices comparing to the other domains

FFF

Post#26 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:16 am

Changed kc's formulas:

Minor: CL*(Heal/100*4+1)
Light: CL*(Heal/100*5+1.5)
Moderate: CL*(Heal/100*6+2)
Serious: CL*(Heal/100*7+2.5)
Critical: CL*(Heal/100*8+3)
Heal: CL*(Heal/100*10+4)

Result with CL 50 will be the same, but level 1 characters will not heal 50 hp with lvl 0 spell.

FFF

Post#27 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:30 am

addict-ant wrote:I think a radius like meteor swarm for healing - seems pretty big to me...

EDIT - thanks for the no's Brumm, make it 15m and see how we go?

Raduis is already 12.5 meters, 25 is diameter.
And it's impossible to cast far away, center of healing should be very close to character.

I think radius now is balanced(as for healing on friday events)

PS: it's impossible now to heal warlock with elritch spear(max distance) and melee that are attacking the same target.

Brumm

Post#28 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:51 pm

FFF wrote:
addict-ant wrote:I think a radius like meteor swarm for healing - seems pretty big to me...

EDIT - thanks for the no's Brumm, make it 15m and see how we go?

Raduis is already 12.5 meters, 25 is diameter.
And it's impossible to cast far away, center of healing should be very close to character.

I think radius now is balanced(as for healing on friday events)

PS: it's impossible now to heal warlock with elritch spear(max distance) and melee that are attacking the same target.

Radius is 25 meters currently

kc2345

Post#29 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:25 pm

FFF wrote:Changed kc's formulas:

Minor: CL*(Heal/100*4+1)
Light: CL*(Heal/100*5+1.5)
Moderate: CL*(Heal/100*6+2)
Serious: CL*(Heal/100*7+2.5)
Critical: CL*(Heal/100*8+3)
Heal: CL*(Heal/100*10+4)

Result with CL 50 will be the same, but level 1 characters will not heal 50 hp with lvl 0 spell.

I think any formula for heal needs a significant non-CL, non heal skill dependent component due to potions.

The caster level for potions is basically locked in as follows: Cure Minor CL 1, Light 2, Moderate 3, Serious 5, Critical 7 and Heal 11.

Potions also do not take heal skill into account.

If we were to use this formula, Cure Minor Potion would heal 1 HP, Cure Light 3 HP, Moderate 6 HP, Serious 12 HP, Critical 21 HP, and Heal Potion 44 HP. This would make the potions basically useless.

A side effect of the static, non-scaling number in my formula is the Cure X Wounds/Heal spells become somewhat OP for low level characters. However, as heals are capped by their very limited HP pools anyway, I don't think this is a huge problem compared to making potions useless.

FFF

Post#30 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:37 am

What if change potions CL to 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30?
5 hp minor
15 hp light
30 hp moderate
50 hp serious
75 hp critical
120 hp heal
It will be very close to vanilla numbers

Return to “Proposed Changes”