PROPOSED CHANGES - NEW MELEE FEATS

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.
Brumm

PROPOSED CHANGES - NEW MELEE FEATS

Post#1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:01 am

Hello everybody,

I am working on new feats for melee fighters and would like to give you the chance to bring your ideas in. All ideas are very welcome but please keep in mind that we can't make everything a reality.

Currently I have two new base feats in the works: "Shield Bash" and "Take Down". Shield Bash requires a shield (obviously) and Take Down requires a Spear. You can see a first prototype of both feats in the following video (the attack between the two feat animations is a regular attack):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6wqgt88ogzp7 ... 4.mp4?dl=0

Currently there is no effect added to the feats and I would like to hear what you think could be appropiate. What I played around with so far:

Shield Bash

Type of Feat: General
Prerequisites: Shield Proficiency, BAB +8

A character with this feat can attempt to hit a foe with his shield to inflict bludgeeoning damage. You must succeed on an attack roll based on two times your true base attack bonus + 5 + 1d20 against your targets full AC. The damage dealt is equal 2d20 for each strenght modifier point you have. Your damage is doubled on a critical hit. This ability has a cooldown of 12 seconds.

If you are using a tower shield your damage is increased by 25%. A small shield on the other hand reduces your damage by 25%.

Disable
Prerequisites: Shield Proficiency, Shield Bash
Disable gives Shield Bashes the chance to throw enemies off-balance. The attacker and the defender both make a d20 roll to which the attacker adds his strenght and the defender his constituion modifier. To successfully throw an enemie of balance the roll of the attacker must be equal or higher than the roll of the defender. After a succesful hit the targets AC is reduced by 5 points for 2 rounds and knocked two the ground for 1 rounds.

Pulverize
Prerequisites: Lvl 21, Disable, Epic Prowess

Pulverize increases the damage of your Shield Bash attack by 25%. Futhermore you land a critical hit with Shield Bash if you roll a 15 or higher.

Take Down
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (Spear), Power Critical (Spear), Dexterity 21
A character with this feat can perform a deadly spear attack on his foes.Y ou must succeed on an attack roll based on two times your true base attack bonus + 5 + 1d20 against your targets full AC. The Attack deals 15% of the enemies full HP as piercing damage. This damage is doubled on a critical hit. This feat has a cooldown of 12 Seconds.

Feel free to critizise the ideas above and make suggestions how to improve things. Just write down what comes to your head. It might make a lot of sense though if you always ask yourself the question "What is the worst thing that could happen if we make my suggestion a reality?". That way we can try to rule out those ideas that will cause us headache in the long run.

Thanks in advance and have fun!
Brumm
Last edited by Brumm on Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 13 times in total.

konst3d

Re: PROPOSED CHANGES - NEW MELEE FEATS

Post#2 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:25 am

I like the idea and proposed feats.
Sword + board style could definitely use some upgrade.
I'd also suggest to upgrade Epic Toughness feat line, at the moment each one adds +30 hp, which is meh... How about making it 100 hp per feat?
Also constitution role could be increased, at the moment it's far beyond str\cha\dex.
Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

Belferon

Post#3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Hi Brumm! I really, really like the fact that you're working on some new feats and what not. Very cool. 8-)

Is there going to be an improved shield bash too? Just something with a little bit more of a kick to it? IE: It lasts a few seconds longer, it does a few more points of damage, whatever.

Hmm... maybe it could cause the target to move more slowly for a certain amount of time? Might be interesting.

Gritoit

Post#4 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:15 am

For the shield bash that is -5 AB only for the shield bash not all attacks right? If for all attacks that makes it much less appealing.

Also I was thinking there is no reason a dex or int based fighter / swash couldn't hit someone with a small shield or buckler. Why not add scaling for them but only with the smallest shields. That way dex / int based can have a bonus when using a shield too.

For medium, large and tower shields make them so they only scale with strength. Also make medium and large shields knockdown / stun when you shield bash. Tower shields should have even more damage imo.

For the small shields and bucklers make the secondary effect a short duration stun. No knockdown because in order to do so would require you to overpower the enemy with strength.

Gritoit

Post#5 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:20 am

Takedown sounds great how it is currently. Not sure any secondary effect needs to be added. Just the fact it is % health is very useful for fighters who currently have no great way of taking out high health / defensive targets very quickly. This would allow fighters to take bosses down in a reasonable timeframe.

Lady Seline

Post#6 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:00 pm

Gritoit wrote:Also I was thinking there is no reason a dex or int based fighter / swash couldn't hit someone with a small shield or buckler. Why not add scaling for them but only with the smallest shields. That way dex / int based can have a bonus when using a shield too.

-Anita likes this, because children, halflings and gnomes can never use a tower shield and shouldnt get penalised as swashies.

Brumm

Post#7 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:05 am

Post updated

Tom D

Post#8 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:55 pm

Some spear ideas if we want to make the feat more exclusive to warriors
* add Expert Tactician as a requirement - stays with dex feel and another feat means harder for non fighters to get but not prohibitive
* or add Greater Weapon Focus as a requirement as only the best trained spear wielders can perform a take down - means have to have studied (8 ftr levels or dedicated monk)
* or add Knockdown as a requirement - feels close to the feat and would be another feat to discourage casters but not prohibitive and works with the student of the spear idea as above

Suggested Restrictions
* Only allowed with shield or wielding two handed. No two weapon fighting.

Suggested replacement
* Suggest Power Critical instead of Improved Critical as Improved Critical will offer no value to any keen spear wielder which almost every player can forge. Power Critical gives some value for taking the feat other than just opening up Take Down and still supports the Take Down’s additional level of critical
* maybe 21 dex instead of 25. Weapon Finesse does not work with spear and we want the spear wielder to be effective when not using Take Down as well. Will want a 50 str. With 21 dex requirement, can still get to 50 in another stat. For example, similar to the dex based edm build, this could be a str based Take Down build.

Just my thoughts. Excited about both feats and seeing new builds around ROT!

addict-ant

Post#9 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:07 am

For me personally having a dex requirement on a melee weapon or shield is counter-intuitive in D&D - always been str for melee and dex for ranged; it also locks the feats into str/dex builds - if that's the intention fair enough but feels a little too niche imho. I think Tom's idea of having feat requirements would be the way to go.

Gritoit

Post#10 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:32 pm

I like the direction Tom took with the requirements for the spear related feat.

Some additional thoughts. My suggestion for the requirements for the spear feat is 18+ str, 18+ dex, and WF spear, WS spear, Power Crit spear, and Expert Tactician. Strength makes sense since it is a large weapon. Dex makes sense since you need to aim. WF, WS and power crit all make sense since you need extensive training to do something like this. This also means a caster will have to use 5 feats to pick it up. You will need 4 levels of fighter/monk as well. Most of the characters using this will already be picking those feats/classes and qualify.

A few other thoughts since it was mentioned by some people they didn't like it being locked to fighter/monk:

In the end, it really depends on how many characters/classes we want to have access to the feat. I think that is a large reason why to get access to Weapon Master they made the requirements so stringent. They knew everyone having access to the class wasn't a good idea.

That being said I could see dropping the WS requirement to open up some more builds.

The slightly easier requirements would be:
18+ str, 18+ dex, WF spear, Power Crit spear, and Expert Tactician.

Thoughts?

Return to “Proposed Changes”