PROPOSED CHANGE: Animal Companion

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.
Brumm

Re: PROPOSED CHANGE: Animal Companion

Post#31 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:39 pm

Great feedback!
I'll come up with a some changes to the Golem and the Companions tomorrow.

kc2345

Post#32 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:32 pm

If dropping the bear's HP, one option to keep overall toughness similar is to raise the Bear's damage immunities from 30% to 50%.

4,760 ÷ 0.7 (damage taken @ 30% immunity) = 6,800 effective HP

This correlates to 3,400 HP with 50% immunity to all.

Of course, this also effectively increases regeneration rate by 40% (going from 70% to 50% damage taken), so there is that.

konst3d

Post#33 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:14 am

What do you think about making elemental companions a bit different? Make them casters, not brawlers. For example:
Fire elemental: allow to cast body of the sun and rays of fire or fireball or another fire spells.
Air elemental: chain lighting, call lightning, etc...

Or maybe make them warlocks? Yeah, pretty weak class for players, but pets with unlimited blasts?
Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

Brumm

Post#34 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:24 am

Current plan:

Bear
[*] Reduce BAB sacling to 1.25% / LVL = 60 BAB (from 2.5%)
[*] Remove not working feats (see KC's post)
[*] Increase all saves by 10 at base
[*] Increase base AC by 5

Golem
[*] Reduce max concealment to 50%
[*] Reduce max HP to 2.5k HP
[*] Reduce base AC by 8 points
[*] Recude max BAB by 10 points (not sure about the exact modifcation so far)

Spell changes
[*] Make Regenerate a Ranger lvl 4 Spell
[*] Change Heal Animal Companion healing power to 2% of the companions max HP per CL

Regarding Elementals:
I guess making them one element casters with a custom AI and an instill vulnerability spell would make sense

Lady Seline

Post#35 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:19 am

Golem i wouldnt mind having lower conceal, and ac in exchange for a bit more HP. its a damage shield pet, so if it doesnt get hit, it never does damage. Golems are constructs so should be immune to SA and crits for resillience ofc, so being hit repeatedly but reflecting the damage works fairly well.

Bear having conceal sounds wierd... its not a Telthor Bear. Having more immunity, regen, and natural ac sounds better. Its Bear's Endurance after all not Bear's Grace.

Warlock Elementals will be super popular cos... infinite 1/2 Lightningbolts a round no DC? Yes pls!

As wizards or sorcs, they'll run out of spells...

I remeber the old Nwn:1 combat familiars with imp magic missiles every other round and Hellhound firebreath every other round... super fun to actually have a reason to summon your familiar... Pixie dragon invis was cute too.

Atm every time I summon Mr Clicky, I just stick him on follow: far, and always be stealthy, and he still manages to just die and inflict unresistable D6 damage on me, along with -33 HP. I wish Mr Clicky actually assisted me more...

Brumm

Post#36 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:17 pm

The damage shield of the Golem got removed a while ago. He just works as a tank now.

Lady Seline

Post#37 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:48 am

Oh... ty. I havent used him in a while...

Brownyman

Post#38 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:31 pm

So tested bear again and he is still very strong when Buffed.

This is with full buffs CL50, spell res, energy immunity, death ward mindblanks knockdown etc etc.

Underdark castle EX1 basically i just followed him, a few casts of regen needed.

Dark lair non EX he takes quite a beating but still just keeps on ticking, whereas Golem died.

The druid spell lists potentially add +22AB + greater heroism. 116AB full. cleric and ranger bears will not get that , depending on if Greater Magic weapon works on animals after changes.

Checking spell lists rangers do get Greater magic fang and Natures Favour albeit at Half caster lvl, so for full pet buffs that at least 26 Ranger with practised caster, your pet is suitably weaker though then anyway.

Not sure what to suggest without gimping the other classes pets!

Awaken and enrage animal need attention as they allow multiple castings.

In theory the bear lvl in question would be what my character could have at the cost of one feat - natural bond. It just feels too strong :?

Brumm

Post#39 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:30 pm

I would say we make the Bear a tad weaker then. It's easier to grant him some extra power later on than the other way round. I don't want to lower it's HP though so changing the BAB is the most obvious thing to do. Or do you have a better idea?

Brownyman

Post#40 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:12 pm

This is where I’m not sure, lowering the BAB weakens it for all, not just for druids. Potentially it could be the same for every pet - Druids can boost by +22 , Rangers +10 and clerics depending what spells work on them (GMW,Aid,bless, prayer?)

But then I don’t know who would make a real ranger or Cleric heavy build unless they specifically wanted the best pet?

KC did mention that while the bear survived well in Dark lair he did have 50% concealment from spells. That helped a lot. He would of probably been destroyed

In reality i think you could drop another 5 or 10 BAB and not notice much difference with Druid power , it would still be high 90’s buffed which is plenty. Or scrap nature’s avatar 9th lvl spell? Instead of BAB reduction

Return to “Proposed Changes”