Proposed Change - Arcane Golems

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.
Brumm

Proposed Change - Arcane Golems

Post#1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:49 am

Hello everybody!

We noticed that most players set their Mithral Golems on 'stand ground' so that they just wait at the map entrance and soak up damage. That was not intended when we introduced the Golems and makes them much stronger then they are supposed to be because they don't take direct combat damage.

To fix this issue I initially wanted to change the damage share ability to only work within a specific distance to the caster but this solution comes with the drawback of extra load for the server due to the way such a feature would have to be coded. Another idea I had was simply replacing the golem with a damage absorption ability. The ability would work pretty similar to the current use of the Mithral Golem just without having the Golem around you. The ability could add a -/50 resistance against everything up to a specific amount of damage for example. The amount of damage absorbed would be determined by the feats you have.

Such a change should not require a relevel or anything.

I am happy to hear your thougts about this.

Greetings!
Brumm

Agom

Re: Proposed Change - Arcane Golems

Post#2 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:44 pm

Would it be possible to code something that removes or disables the "Stand Ground" option for Golems only? That way they will be have to follow their caster and can't be left behind.

kc2345

Post#3 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:00 pm

Right now, the Mirror Golem is basically useless past campaign content due to dying too fast (0% damage immunity vs mobs with 95+ AB or AOE damage spam is a bad combination)

Perhaps change the Mithral Golem to a "Mithral Coating" for the Mirror Golem? And make the golem re-summonable on a 3 min timer instead of 1x/day?

This would grant the Mirror Golem 40% to all damage immunity and KD immunity, and incentivise use of the mirror golem (using a golem costs feats and means no shadow sim, so the opportunity cost is high). No damage sharing, but the mirror golem could reduce your incoming damage by fighting alongside you, and taking some hits meant for you.

It also removes the ridiculous aspect of having more golem mastery being a bad thing.

With respect to the damage shield, I think arcane is already the toughest class even without an extra damage shield. Mirror Images + Conceal by far beat the +6 AC that divines get through shield of faith/barkskin. Having mithral golem replaced by a damage shield also puts the mirror golem in an awkward place.

Fraggle

Post#4 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:24 am

To be honest, grouped with Arcane is often anyway low fun for other Players. Inside their Acid Fogs, Tentacles, Clouds you always have huge difficulties to target any specific Enemie ( especially with Melee ). Running wild Golems makes Situation worse. After the Arcane Rework, it cost a lot of time till Arcanes learned to park their Golems. Not all Players ( especially the newer ones ) has KCs abilities to play controlled with Summons!
Which Solution ever, but please dont lead to running wild and uncontrolled Golems in the middle of the Combat!

Brumm

Post#5 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:27 am

Fraggle, I can't agree more on what you say and that's the reason why I don't like your suggestion, KC.

I neither like the Golem being parked at the entrance nor have him running around and block melees or make targeting more difficult. I loved the idea of having a Golem but totally ignored the fact that NWN2 handles summons and companions very poorly. Though, taking the Golem away without any compensation is no option at all even if it was one of my worst development decisions in the past; too many players rely on it now. So the question is: What do we do? The best I was able to come up with was the damage absorption shield ability. And such an ability might do the trick if we design it carefully. So I still need your input.

Fraglle, I agree on your point with the duration AoEs too. They make the whole combat blurry and nobody knows what is going on anymore. I would love to solve that problem by directing Arcanes more to direct damage spells instead of duration AoEs. Suggestions for how to do that would be welcome too.

Brumm

konst3d

Post#6 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:00 am

I think the best thing that could be done is simply to remove mithral golems from game.
Because it makes already OP arcanes even more OP by boosting theirs survivability over the any limits.
Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

Brumm

Post#7 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:08 am

Like I said. I don't think that this is an option.

Fraggle

Post#8 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:29 am

First i like Konst3ds Suggestion to replace Golem with a static Totem. With short Duration and Cooldown. Damage Shield Totem with 1 min Duration and 2 mins 30 secs Cooldown. Major Problem would be that all CD often Bugs by Transition or Death.

To Arcanes Fogs and Clouds, biggest Porblem is the lacking Sight for Players, not the Damage itself. May its Possible to tone down the Graphics a bit?
For more direct and lesser AoE Damage, whats with Orbs which jumps from Enemie to Enemie?

Brumm

Post#9 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:34 am

I'll look for some less obtrusive visual effects

Edit: I made a less obtrusive visual effect for Acid Fog. If players like it, I'll see if I can do something similar for the other duration AoE spells.

Edit2: Damn, we really are getting distracted fast :lol: . This should be about Golems...

MortisCorpus

Post#10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:41 pm

Just a stream of consciousness...

1. Apply a spell effect to the summon script. That spell effect will simply dispel the golem If it negates/reduces/receives damage and is X or farther from the caster.

2. Create an effect in the damage script that auto-summons the golem If to far from caster while negating/reducing/receiving dmg.

3. Make the damage script scale % absorbed based on distance from caster.
Developer, Administrator, Lord of Ahala
AG_7's Resource Compilation

Return to “Proposed Changes”