Mana System

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.

Poll: Are you fine with a small Mana Cost on Teleport?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:10 am

No.
18%
No, and I don't like the whole Mana idea in general.
18%
Yes, 1 Mana sounds reasonable.
29%
Yes, 2 Mana sounds reasonable.
35%
Total votes: 17

leosfalves

Re: Mana System

Post#21 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:08 pm

First, Hi all, I am fairly new to RoT (this is my first post on forum by the way).

Let me start by saying that I think I was very luck to find this server, we can see that the DM team is very engaging in perfecting our experience with the game, the work of Brumm and Mortis are massive and welcome (Tks for giving the Monk some love Mortis :D ), and is very good to see everyone so active making events and helping players in game.

The community is very newb friendly, KC, Fraggle, always helping when asked.

I played this game for a long time on another server (Legends of Arcadia) and I am glad that I could not only revive it but get a better experience of it.

Sorry about the TL;DR, lets get to the point.

I am a DM and player myself of tabletop D&D since my 14 years old (36 now by the way :shock: ) and the beauty of the NWN series is the similarity that it have with the core of D&D (just like BG, PoR, and Planescape seires) but adding the RP factor and the unpredictable human reaction to the mix.

I am afraid that we could be walking to a MMO standard and I think what attract the people that still play this game is exactly the opposite.

So for now I am saying "No".

But I want to rear more of your idea, is it only for some "specials" spells? Maybe only for some classes that don´t have all the options like the primary casters?

Brumm

Post#22 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:56 pm

This won't have any effect on any spell that is in game at this point besides of Teleport. I am not going to change the core mechnic of NWN2. I like the existing spell system myself and stopped already an approach in the past to change it to something totally new. We'll keep what NWN2 is but add some new stuff here and there. Thats it.

The Mana idea was just planned for spells that can't be done with a cooldown due to technical reasons I explained and that I don't want to integrate into the vanilla spellbook because they will be an Arcane Society only thing.

kc2345

Post#23 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:43 pm

I think adding a new set of spells on the new mana mechanic would be cool if coded properly, and would be interesting to try out.

I do agree with the opinion that balancing costs would be important, as having too big a Mana pool and cheap/fast mana regen relative to spell costs mean Mana is essentially meaningless - the abilities might as well be activated at will with no CD or limits per day. Too expensive and people simply won't use the abilities, which is arguably even worse. Instead of Mana, what about simply limiting uses/day like Epic Spells?

For existing users of teleport who are not arcane society members, this change would simply translate to a small fractional shard cost per teleport with no appreciable benefit. Unless new non-AS limited spells are also planned to be incorporated the system, these players will have to manage mana for just that 1 ability, which honestly isn't an improvement at all.

Itaasi

Post#24 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:43 am

kc2345 wrote:For existing users of teleport who are not arcane society members, this change would simply translate to a small fractional shard cost per teleport with no appreciable benefit. Unless new non-AS limited spells are also planned to be incorporated the system, these players will have to manage mana for just that 1 ability, which honestly isn't an improvement at all.

And what about Teleport runeword users? Will they have to pay Mana to use it too? Because if that's the case, I think that makes the runeword a LOT less appealing!!

Brumm

Post#25 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:28 am

Ok, that is clear enough. Teleport won't get a Mana cost.

Return to “Proposed Changes”