Mana System

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.

Poll: Are you fine with a small Mana Cost on Teleport?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:10 am

No.
18%
No, and I don't like the whole Mana idea in general.
18%
Yes, 1 Mana sounds reasonable.
29%
Yes, 2 Mana sounds reasonable.
35%
Total votes: 17

Brumm

Mana System

Post#1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:10 am

Hello everybody,

I am playing around with a Mana System. The idea is pretty simple and well known from other games: Some spells (especially new ones that will come with the Arcane Society revival) will come with endless uses per day but a Mana cost per use. The main source for Mana is the good old Mana Potion. Mana Potions (100 Points of Mana) will be buyable in the Wish Shard store for 1 Shard or can be found as (rare) drops.

The new system will probably come with some new itemproperties like "Mana Regeneration", "Maximum Mana Increase", "Maximum Mana Decrease", "Reduced Mana Costs" and "Increased Mana Costs" to bring some new flavour to ROT.

The reason for this post is to get some feedback from you and to start a poll about one change I would like to make when I introduce such a system: Currently Teleport has unlimited uses (which is good in my opinion) but comes without any cost at all. I would like to introduce a cost of 1 Mana per cast for the spell which should be bearable in my opinion but wanted to ask you guys first.

Fraggle

Re: Mana System

Post#2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:08 am

Hello,
fisrt at all the Idea itself sounds interesting, but let me compare the different Castingsystems from Games i know.

1. Casting is restricted by limited uses spells per day before you must Restore/Refresh/Rest your Spellbook. This Game works like that and leads to optimize your Damage Output by knowing Enemies Weaknesses to get an optimized way through Instances ( this I like ).

2. Casting with Cooldowntimer and endless uses like World of Warcraft. To optimize Damage, you need hours of gaming by attacking a Dummy( this i dont like it much, as its really boring and at the End on PVE Areas ist mostly gaming like a Machine ).

3. Manasystem like at the Elder Scroll series, is easy to handle and you again need Knowledge of Enemies to hit them with the best Spell( this I like too ).

In your specific intended Case ( when Teleport is the only Spell which is affected by the new System) it simple leads to more Clicks on administratve side of the game. To play Caster Toons is very Clickintense anyway, 1 click to choose spell, 2nd click to choose Target or Area and this every 3 sec with Quickenspells.

General questions:
A: At all worlds i know, with Manasystem you can brew Manapots, would this implement than here too?
B: Mana gets usual only Casterclasses and few Races not all, how it would be here?

To decide cost of Mana like 1 or 2 I need more Informations, like max. Mana and how to Refresh Mana ( by resting or by using Manapots and where to get Manapots ).

Summary, the Idea is Interesting but please avoid more Clicks on administrative Part of the Game, especially on such Cickintense Toons like Casters.

MortisCorpus

Post#3 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 am

Yes, BUT. Can we do this for epics in general? Mage armor = 5. Vampirc Feast = 10. Mass Heal = 5.
Developer, Administrator, Lord of Ahala
AG_7's Resource Compilation

Brumm

Post#4 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:48 pm

@ Fraggle:
1. Maximum Mana: I thought about a default maximum Mana of Spellcraft*2. The maximum Mana can then be modified with items.

2. Mana from Potions: I thought about 100 points of mana per potion while one potion costs one shard.

3. Mana Regeneration: I did not plan to add a default Mana regeneration rate. So as long as you have no source for Mana regeneration, you won't get extra Mana by resting or waiting.

4. Mana for other classes: The only reason for adding Mana is that I wanted to add spells that are not tied to the vanilla spell book. The uses per day and the cooldown solution didn't make me happy either. Uses per day for something like Teleport would be bad. It would make the spell much less useful and it would see much less action. A cooldown solution does not work in all situations because the engine can't handle cooldown feats on items. Not to mention that Teleport sucks with a cooldown. So I ended with Mana. Short story: I didn't think about adding Mana for other classes as well but I have no objections against it.

@Mort:
That is something we could think about it. It is easily doable of course.

Fraggle

Post#5 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:05 am

@Brumm
Thanks for Explanation, now i understand the whole Idea much better.

1. Maximum Mana Spellcraft x 2, would benefit Wizards more than Sorcerers.
Whats with Concentration x 2 ?

2. Potions: I would prefer when 1 Mana Pot General refresh Max Mana and not fixed number of Points.

3. Mana Regeneration: I have absolut no Problem with no Regeneration.

4. Ok. Fine for me.

General Question: When you can higher your Max Mana, with Gear or Buffs ( Spellcraft x2 ), would that mean you loose Mana by switching Server or would you get after reequip automatical your Mana back?

@Mort
I like the Manaidea for all Epic Spells, but:
1. Epic Mage Armor is too expensive i would suggest Manacost 2.
2. Vampiric Feast to low, my Suggestion is 25 Manapoints.
3.Massheal should be expensive too, 20 Manapoints ( Think Massheal heal their Golem too).

Why: Arcanes are very Powerful anyway actual, good AoE Damage and excellent Singletarget damage too, combined with Golemmastery 3 they have more than 3k HP and very High AC and no Need for good saves ( you get only 30 Percent damage from Massdrown with Golemmastery 3).
So actual the are excellent Damage Dealer, can Tank and when they would be good Healer too, they are Supermans ( or in German they would be: Die Eierlegende Wollmilchsau).

kc2345

Post#6 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:14 am

One option to incorporate epic spells into the mana system is to allow the first 1-3 casts per day to be done mana-free, as in the current implementation, but introduce the option to fire off additional uses of the spell at a mana cost.

Otherwise, using up a feat and paying mana to cast an epic spell (in particular offensive epic spells) makes them even less attractive than they are now, unless a significant power boost is also introduced.

Brumm

Post#7 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Fraggle wrote:1. Maximum Mana Spellcraft x 2, would benefit Wizards more than Sorcerers.
Whats with Concentration x 2 ?

I am a Sorc player as well but I think this little disadvantage is something we can take. Especially since Sorcs got recently a solid boost in comparison to Wizards. And I think spellcraft makes a bit more sense RP wise. But I'll think about it.

Fraggle wrote:2. Potions: I would prefer when 1 Mana Pot General refresh Max Mana and not fixed number of Points.

My idea was to add different Mana Potions. Small one for 100 Points, Medium for 250 Points and Large one for 500 Points. But of course something we can talk about.

Fraggle wrote:General Question: When you can higher your Max Mana, with Gear or Buffs ( Spellcraft x2 ), would that mean you loose Mana by switching Server or would you get after reequip automatical your Mana back?

Good point. Getting Mana by equipping the item and loosing Mana by unequipping items is a no-go.I didn't think about that so far but I should be able to work around that. Maybe by allowing to get more than 100% of your maximum Mana for a short period of time. I'll work something out.

Itaasi

Post#8 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Brumm wrote:Fraggle wrote:
General Question: When you can higher your Max Mana, with Gear or Buffs ( Spellcraft x2 ), would that mean you loose Mana by switching Server or would you get after reequip automatical your Mana back?

Good point. Getting Mana by equipping the item and loosing Mana by unequipping items is a no-go.I didn't think about that so far but I should be able to work around that. Maybe by allowing to get more than 100% of your maximum Mana for a short period of time. I'll work something out.

What about making the Maximum Mana stat also add that amount of Mana to the player's pool when equipped? ;)

Brumm

Post#9 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Because that would allow you to drain your mana pool, unequip and reequip your Mana items and fill your Mana Pool with that method to a degree.

fox

Post#10 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Can we work on summons , rp reward summons, spell summons. Like its here in game but doesnt work very well.

Return to “Proposed Changes”