[POLL] How should we change Monk AC

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.

Poll: How should we address AC balance problem around Monk AC

Poll ended at Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:24 am

Don't change Monk AC feat, but adjust other feats
74%
Move Monk AC feat to Monk level 8
26%
Total votes: 23

Fan

Re: [POLL] How should we change Monk AC

Post#31 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:13 am

Well, first of all, I have no preference myself on this issue (option A, B, or no change). I created this post to respond the recent discussion thread.

Secondly, I do not intend to create division among our community. That's exactly why I will not change unless there is a significant majority.

Thirdly, note that Option A does not nerf the base class. Armor skin II and III are RoT customized feats. If we go that route, it is a balance patch to our customized feats.

MortisCorpus

Post#32 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:28 am

Dialog of change should occur when the current setting does not benefit the whole or is plainly dysfunctional. So, why change monk…

Realms of Trinity is an Action World. We do offer a comprehensive Role-play (RP) environment via rewards of custom design to continue to appeal to the masses. We love some RP, but at the heart of the builders and myself, we are action! We have offered Wish Shards and continued feats through character experience measures to ensure a more robust experience end-game.

At what point do you see Realms of Trinity turning it down?

We are probably going to keep changing the game till the wheels fall off or Brian explodes and ditches his day job.
Why complain about the premise of trying to offer it all, to the limitations of technology and programing, as hard and fast as we can, for free. We live and breathe this games life by the players we attract and keep. The donation coffers feed this games lifeblood.

Why would or should we change a core functionality of a core class, which has set precedent since October 31, 2006, when Neverwinter Nights 2 released. How does that help Trinity? I am an advocate of free speech. I am also an advocate of keeping the lights on, so please, vote carefully.
Developer, Administrator, Lord of Ahala
AG_7's Resource Compilation

Loric Elder

Post#33 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 am

Fan wrote:
Thirdly, note that Option A does not nerf the base class. Armor skin II and III are RoT customized feats. If we go that route, it is a balance patch to our customized feats.

it nerfs the dip, which doesn't need nerfing. :(
that just remove's a long time in play, building option. :( :? we don't need less options. We need more.

*Strength, and non-caster builds simply need a couple of personal specifically focused feats for only them. To simply get them into the same range of play potential, as the "dexterity Divine/natural caster".

*Loric

Cataca

Post#34 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:27 am

Then, to compensate you should make a heavy armor base called the "trinity exoskeleton" and give it 17/0 base armor.
It'll weight 10k of whatever the funky unit the inventory measures weight in.

Because otherwise, this is never going to be anywhere near balanced. If buffing the snot out of heavy armor is what is needed to close the gap on monkdips, so be it. Fans feat will need to be implemented as well.

Cait_Sith

Post#35 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:40 am

My vote goes definitely to Mortis Corpus for option `C'

Reasoning:
1. as he mentioned before, the last thing we need another wave of leaving players, the server is just recovering from the last exodus.

2. are there really no more pressuring matters to do? How about fixing the spell loss at server transitory, or new content or making a mega challenge for epic parties at blood sand's hole in the dunes. :twisted:
How many years has it been since the dragon vanished?

with best regard
Cait-Sith

Loric Elder

Post#36 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:44 am

Cataca wrote: Fans feat will need to be implemented as well.

What part of no change's to the monk dip do you not understand?
Choice "C": is no change to monk, or it corresponding feat's at all.

None of the feats need to be nerf for the monk dip.
To funny, and typical your still trying to sneak in nerfing it. :lol: :roll:

A epic feat *Trinity's exoskeleton dose sound right though, towards fixing the gap.

*Loric

Cataca

Post#37 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:09 am

Loric Elder wrote:

A epic feat *Trinity's exoskeleton dose sound right though, towards fixing the gap.

*Loric

*facepalm* For petes sake, would you please read my posts properly.

Fan wrote:The new feat is roughly like this:

Shield Skin

Requires: 30+BAB, 30+ Str or 30+ Dex

When you are fighting without shield and double weapons (i.e., with no more than 4 shield bonus AC). You gain 3 natural AC (stacking with everything else). Monk does not gain any AC bonus from this feat.

That is fans proposed feat. I said nothing about monk AC whatsoever.

Cataca

Post#38 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:28 am

Loric Elder wrote:

*Loric

*facepalm* For petes sake, would you please read my posts properly.

Fan wrote:The new feat is roughly like this:

Shield Skin

Requires: 30+BAB, 30+ Str or 30+ Dex

When you are fighting without shield and double weapons (i.e., with no more than 4 shield bonus AC). You gain 3 natural AC (stacking with everything else). Monk does not gain any AC bonus from this feat.

That is fans proposed feat. I said nothing about monk AC whatsoever.

edit: The "exoskeleton" is a new base armor, not a feat. But it speaks volumes that you think a flat 17 AC feat would be a good idea for balance. :roll:

gazoo

Post#39 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:02 am

we are action!

Action implies a chance of some sort of danger, not standing around with little threat for 99% of the PW. I accept that a large part prefers little balance and risk. I can only assume that is why this issue is so fiercely defended. How else would you defend the very common 20 - 40 AC gap on a d20 system?

It is the reason why mobs need to cheat; the cheating monster the only way to make it work--and even then players complain when they get hit too much (or at all). And cheating monsters hurt even more against the weaker build options.

Evidently the builds become less and less varied except through the introduction larger stat/AC/AB/feat magic items (ie, sets and rarities). It's the "action" balance mechanism that sees less outcry.

Either that or go with more mobs that simply ignore the broken AC dynamics.

Hopefully there's an interest in improving the weaker ACs through a different means, then. I have a strong suspicion that many players see that as a affront to their invulnerable character's ego (or rather their personal ego).

A balanced replay factor is what keeps players around after the first character is done. Here, accepting that RP is not the norm, replay should be encouraged through a reasonable balance of game mechanics. ... let's work on that.

*shrug*

-It's time to close this topic thread.

Cait_Sith

Post#40 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:15 am

gazoo wrote:Action implies a chance of some sort of danger, not standing around with little threat for 99% of the PW. I accept that a large part prefers little balance and risk. I can only assume that is why this issue is so fiercely defended. How else would you defend the very common 20 - 40 AC gap on a d20 system?

no, action, at least in my opinion, means that the hack n' slash part overrides the role-playing. If you like it light heavy or nightmarish doesn't changes it.

If you like a tough game experience, for that there was the EX mode, as far as i understand.
The problem with that mode is, that the reward by money, items (shards) and exp still makes the mode attractive. In my opinion this idea of an ex-mode is only working if the reword is the survival itself.
But i think this is going a little of-topic.

Return to “Proposed Changes”