Upcoming Mystic Theurge PrC

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.
Cataca

Re: Upcoming Mystic Theurge PrC

Post#11 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:56 pm

Fan wrote:Thank you for your testing Cata!

I cannot understand the SR issue you mentioned about unless you want to have enough CL for every casting class

Suppose a build like:

5 Cleric/ 15 Wizard/ 10 Red Wizard/ 10 Mystic Theurge (With cleric primary)

You will get arcane CL 39 (+5 for speciallization) with Practiced spell caster, which is more than enough for everything.

No, this was what i said would work out splendidly with the PRC as is (even though the quickness feat from MT is still wasted). It is as said, my modified theurge build from nwn2db (just replace FM with MT and cut down on a couple of FS levels) that got markedly stronger overall after integrating the prc.
Spoiler: show
http://nwn2db.com/build/?234812 for reference

The other build that i tested was a x sorc x fs 10 mt 3 BG build, although i think that the DCs will work out somewhat(ish) the SR will not. You'll fail to breach SR more often than not even with greater spell pen. I think instead of a bonus feat aditional SR penetration would be more beneficial. Maybe a feat ala practiced caster for SR so that it doesnt go beyond the HD and doesnt make the first kind of build better than a vanilla caster (at SR penetration).

Personally i am also not a huge fan of just giving MT a bonus feat while not requiring a feat, its kind of a net gain. SR penetration would go a long way to make the class much more flexible though, without giving it more power.

Fan

Post#12 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Aha, I see your points. Dual offensive casting is probably not a good idea even with Mystic Theurge. It is hard to have high CL/DC for both classes.

I am actually pretty happy with the current situation of Mystic Theurge PrC. I want to create more diversities for builds but do not want to create a monster with 40 CL divine and 40 CL arcane. :D I would wait to see how people use this PrC before to make further changes. Players are always more creative than we think. :lol:

To Cataca:

Why Quicken spell is wested? Unless you take Arcane Scholar, you should always want that feat for AQ line?

Cataca

Post#13 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:10 pm

The only way you'd ever utilize the free quicken feat is with a x sorc x fs 10 MT build, where you actually get quicken spell before AQ levels. (but that build wont work, because aformentioned SR issues)

x wiz x divine casterclass x rw 10 MT cant take 10 levels of MT before 27 without losing access AQ 9, and i dont really see anyone doing that. You cant ever be that feat starved.

Fan

Post#14 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:38 pm

Aha, Cataca. I see your points. Actually I want to give MT a bonus feat at some level to compensate the fact that it is weaker than its PnP form.

I was thinking that Quicken Spell is a feat that everyone needs but I didn't think too much about the building details. I think I may do one of the following changes if you guys agree:

1. Move the quicken feat to level 4. (Should be enough to make use of it)

2. Or change it to another useful feat

MortisCorpus

Post#15 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:40 pm

I would change Quicken to Empower spell. I would move acquisition to level 6. That would make it benefit ASoC integration and require a commitment in progression.
Developer, Administrator, Lord of Ahala
AG_7's Resource Compilation

Fan

Post#16 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:56 am

Maybe another option is to change it to an unlimited bonus feat at level 10. You can pick whatever you want

MortisCorpus

Post#17 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:16 am

Fan,

You do great work mate. I think you should keep calling your creations as you think they should play out. I only commented because you asked. I think a part of what makes Trinity so good is that the creators get creative rights with a relatively unlimited scope (engine constraints). An open feat at 10 is also, without a bias, a good deal.
Developer, Administrator, Lord of Ahala
AG_7's Resource Compilation

Lomir

Post#18 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:03 pm

I have to agree with Mortis on you doing great work, and while my current build is able to take advantage of the quicken spell feat at level 10, it being just a straight bonus feat would be completely amazing, and would be super helpful for multiple builds.

Fan

Post#19 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:59 pm

The fixed quicken spell is replaced with an unlimited bonus feat. Will be effective on next reboot.

gazoo

Post#20 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:02 pm

This is quite a nice class addition.

But shouldn't there be a feat requirement , like focus lore or some such? Most (if not all) PRCs have some requirement feat to make . Otherwise it's a clear boost with absolutely no investment.

So you would get a free feat, as per your last change....and it would equal out.

Just saying that now is the time to do it, unless it is already too late. The whole 'breaking builds' thing never lets things change...

Return to “Proposed Changes”