Upcoming Mystic Theurge PrC

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.
Fan

Upcoming Mystic Theurge PrC

Post#1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:07 pm

We will introduce a new PrC Mystic Theurge to RoT. Here is the spec:

Mystic Theurge

Description: Blurring the line between divine and arcane, Mystic Theurges draw power from divine sources and musty tomes alike. While most spellcasters choose one path to magical power, Mystic Theurges walk multiple roads at once, mastering spells common to clerics, druids, and wizards. Mystic Theurges have an unparalleled diversity of spells. In time, a Mystic Theurge can cast almost any spell. Mystic theurges are often obsessed with magical lore, traveling to the ends of the earth to learn some arcane secret or divine insight.

You can have a maximum of 10 levels of Mystic Theurge.

Requiresments: Lore 6, Spellcraft 6, Able to cast 2nd level divine spell, Able to cast 2nd level arcane spell

Hit Dice: d4
Proficiencies: None
Skill points: 2 + Int Modifier
Class skill: Concentration, Craft Alchemy, Lore, Heal, and Spellcraft
Base attack bonus: Low
High save: Will
Low save: Reflex, Fortitude

Mystic Theurge Spell Casting Progression: Mystic Theurge improves the spell casting ability of the following classes: Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Spirit Shaman, and Favored Soul.

At level 1, you choose an arcane/divine spell casting class that you belong to as your primary focus. At each level of Mystic Theurge, your spell casting ability improves as if you gained a level of the selected spell casting class. You will also learn new spells and gain spell uses per days as normal. You do not gain other benefits of the selected class.

For ALL of the rest spell casting classes, you still gain one caster level at each level of Mystic Theurge. However you DO NOT GAIN NEW SPELLS OR SPELL USES for these classes and you do not gain other benefits of these classes.

Omniscience: At 10th level, the mastery of both divine and arcane spells provides Mystic Theurage a deeper understanding on everything he knows, i.e., he gains a bonus feat at level 10.
Last edited by Fan on Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Itaasi

Re: Upcoming Mystic Theurge PrC

Post#2 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:53 pm

I'm SO considering using this PRC for a build!

Fan

Post#3 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Implementation completed. Will be available for betatesting soon.

robintehdestroye

Post#4 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:34 am

Fan wrote:Implementation completed. Will be available for betatesting soon.

:D exciting

Fan

Post#5 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:17 pm

It is on live now

Cataca

Post#6 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:53 pm

mini caveat, the feat teleport does not consider mystic theurge.

edit: mystic is hard to write.
Last edited by Cataca on Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brumm

Post#7 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Easy to fix. I just need to find my customized GetArcaneCasterLevel function and add the Mystic Theurge spellprogession.

Cataca

Post#8 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:46 am

So after playing around with testing the theurge intensively with my main i can say for sure that it makes my build stronger (albeit it losing the cold pierce, which does hurt quite a bit but at least is less cheese).
I think for builds that take the second casting class for utilities overall, this PRC is a clear winner.

From a quick relevel for chuckles some limited test with a highish (36) toon that i releveled into a theurge, my first assumptions about this not exactly working out for a dual casting classes theurge build (sorc/fs) were mostly correct though. You'll have some fairly serious issues with SR and DCs are overall preeety low. Limited spellselection and late level 9 spells dont help much either :D

Though i cant stress enough that the second test was all but 15 minutes of running around pouncing stuff after releveling, with a build i threw together in a solid two minutes, i may come up with something better that works. I still think the class needs some perk to overcome SR better rather than the quickness bonus feat at 10 (that stacks with the SR feats, if posible).

Overall, cool stuff fan!

Fan

Post#9 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:10 pm

Thank you for your testing Cata!

I cannot understand the SR issue you mentioned about unless you want to have enough CL for every casting class

Suppose a build like:

5 Cleric/ 15 Wizard/ 10 Red Wizard/ 10 Mystic Theurge (With cleric primary)

You will get arcane CL 39 (+5 for speciallization) with Practiced spell caster, which is more than enough for everything.

Lomir

Post#10 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:21 pm

The issue with the build you suggested Fan, is that you're losing out on level 9 spells as Cleric, which means that you lose a lot of persistent buffs, and have a very limited number of spells as cleric. Also, that requires you to be level 40, which is still a far stretch for a lot of people (despite recent changes making it FAR more viable than it was prior). In order to do something with cold pierce, and reasonable caster level for 2 classes, such as favored soul and sorcerer, you end up with FS 12/Sorcerer 12/FM 6/MT 10, and your caster levels (provided you had FS as primary for MT, and Sorcerer for FM, as well as both practiced spellcaster feats) are FS 26/Sorcerer 32. This isn't terrible, but it eats up a reasonable amount of feats, as well as making you lose out on the juicy bonus feats for FS.

That being said, I totally love the PrC, and use it to make my FS a straight buff machine for himself. While I will most likely switch him back to being pure FS at some point, he is pretty fun with the MT class.

Return to “Proposed Changes”