Runewords

Developers, want feedback? Ask the players here.
Brumm

Runewords

Post#1 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:12 am

Hello everybody,

Falcon and I discussed about something new yesterday: We are thinking about adding runes like in Diablo II. Since we already have a problem with the powerlevel of our items we cant allow to add properties to existing items like in Diablo II; that would get out of hands fast. But I have two ideas what we can do:
1. The runeword replaces current item properties -> Runeword items would be just very unique items.
2. The runeword adds only special things that cant be found in game normally without replacing the stats of an item. I mean scripted stuff which adds a new dimension of gaming without breaking the balancing.

Rune words could be either published on the forum or our RP-DMs could think about a way to let players know which words exist.

Now it is up to you to give us some feedback. What do you think about the idea in general and do you have further suggestions?

robintehdestroye

Re: Runewords

Post#2 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:20 am

the second option there sounds pretty awesome

Brumm

Post#3 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:03 am

We would probably add both options.

Cervantes

Post#4 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:46 am

I'm all for diversifying equipment. Sounds like fun. It would also give DMs a good reward option for quests - something small, incremental, but with big potential.
Grevaine the Blackbird, recruiter for the Arcane Society
Hank Stone, tinkerer and supporter of the down-trodden
Rembrask Alhavisk, not-so-pleasant mercenary
Baelnorn, DM

Brumm

Post#5 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:33 am

I like the ideas of changing items with runes. We will use these runes btw:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexsha ... runes.html

Countyboar

Post#6 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:01 am

I think using rune words to add scripted effects to items sounds really really awesome! Y'all have great ideas!

Brumm

Post#7 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:40 am

I had some time today so I was able to write some code and finish the alpha test phase. What I have so far:
* 26 Blueprints for the runes with new icons
* A drop code (Higher runes will be MUCH more rare than lower runes)
* A code which allows you to convert two runes of the same type to one rune of a higher type
* 8 Runewords (These runewords add stuff to items without touching the properties of the item)
-> ENIGMA
-> RECOVERY
-> VENGEANCE
-> CRUELTY
-> TRAPPER
-> GAMBLER
-> MASTER TRAPPER
-> STRONG MIND

For now I'll keep the stats and rune-combinations secret. Maybe our RP-DMs want to use the information in their events.

Edit: Names are just working names for now, of course. But all the listed runewords are finished and passed the alpha test phase.

Itaasi

Post#8 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:16 pm

This entire idea seems like a REALLY good way to diversify characters without tipping the balance scale. I also adds another reason for farming :)
Will all the runes be random drops or will some of them be mob- or boss-specific? Or will that cause some areas to be overfarmed while others aren't used at all?

Brumm

Post#9 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Itaasi wrote:This entire idea seems like a REALLY good way to diversify characters without tipping the balance scale. I also adds another reason for farming :)
Will all the runes be random drops or will some of them be mob- or boss-specific? Or will that cause some areas to be overfarmed while others aren't used at all?

The drop code works like the one for set items but I think about adding a small (!) chance for rune drops on some bosses. We will see.

Brumm

Post#10 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:27 pm

Update: We changed the drop logic a bit. Runes will drop much more often (EX only: 1:250) but the higher runes will be even more rare and restricted to high CR enemies. We have 13 Runewords now and should be able to start with beta tests this weekend and maybe - with a lot of luck - push everything to production on sunday.

Brumm

Return to “Proposed Changes”