Potential plans to change DM reward item spell slots calculation

Trading, random questions, rants about your favorite sports team loosing, or anything else!
Fan

Potential plans to change DM reward item spell slots calculation

Post#1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:14 pm

The current DM item spell slot spawn rule is confusing. It requires people to build specific toons after the even to get optimized spawn results, which are bad and silly. Also one could game the system to always get 4 or 5 slots spawned every time for two classes by building a special toon, which might be too much also.

Here is my tentative plan to revise it.

1. Only divine/arcane/nature items will spawn spell slots now, and only spawn spell slots in the designed category class (except for MT, see rule 4). Only arcane slots for arcane classes.

2. Melee/Utility items will no longer spawn slots, but they will get some additional random attribute to offset. I want to fix the situation that spell casting class get the most from DM items.

3. The script will check the highest *base* class in the designed category, and you will get slots for that class. For non-bard spell caster class, you may get 1, 2, or 3 slots per level. For Bard, you may get 2, 3, or 4 slots per level. It will be determined by random rolls rather than your levels. Your number of levels will not matter for determining the number of slots.

4. If you have 10 or more level of MT, the script will go with the special MT rule. It will use the *base* level class to determine your most likely second-spell casting class. You may get spell slots for both the main class and the secondary class. Based on the random roll, you will get 1 or 2 slots per level for the main class (2 or 3 for bard), and 0, 1, or 2 slots per level for the secondary class.

5. Spells slots will appear only in special weapons. Thinking about quarterstaff at the moment.

I hope this will make everyone's life easier.

fox

Re: Potential plans to change DM reward item spell slots calculation

Post#2 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:17 pm

The weapons with spell slots is pretty valuable, that will make old DM weapons worth BANK!

I'm not sure who is confused by the current system. 20 levels in a class. Pretty straight forward.
Ranger spells spawn on melee.
Never seen 4-5 slots per level , 3 max is all I can get.
I like what I get on the current system. Have only seen your current changes once, so would like to have a few more weeks of that to see if that's good.

Aenain

Post#3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:21 pm

Wouldn't this kill builds like Druard?

kc2345

Post#4 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:05 pm

I think it might be better to do a re-think of how the DM items are organized. Currently "Divine" and "Nature" DM items are virtually identical save for the supported classes.

Instead of separating by class, perhaps the DM items can be organized by role? Only certain categories will award spellslots, but those that don't award additional bonuses.

The items that award spellslots will automatically award the spellslots based on your highest base caster level, so odd builds like a Canaith Druid can get druid spellslots on a bardsong-themed item.

e.g.
1) Melee (and Archery)
Skills: Intimidate, Tumble, Survival
Feats: Combat Focused Feats
Spell Slots: None
Bonus: Additional Damage Immunity/Resists

2) Stealth/Utility
Skills: Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock, Disable Device, Search, UMD
Feats: Stealth and Sneak Attack related
Spell Slots: None
Bonus: Up to 4 different skills per item

3) Performer
Skills: Perform, Lore, Bluff
Feats: Casting and Bardsong related
Spell Slots: Yes
Bonus: None

4) Healer
Skills: Concentration, Healing, Spellcraft
Feats: Metamagic, Healing related

5) Mage
Skills: Concentration, Lore, Spellcraft
Feats: Metamagic, Spell Focus

Fan

Post#5 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:33 pm

Aenain wrote:Wouldn't this kill builds like Druard?

I do not think so. Maybe the only thing will change is that it may take multiple rolls to get the maxed 4 slots per level.

Brownyman

Post#6 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:33 am

When you have changed the coding recently, i have seen 8 new items and they are far far better than previous versions..

Can we sit on this for a while as people know how the current system works?

Aenain

Post#7 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:13 am

Fan wrote:

I do not think so. Maybe the only thing will change is that it may take multiple rolls to get the maxed 4 slots per level.

Maybe I misunderstand, but wouldn't it be impossible to spawn with wizard and druid spell slots both?

Fan

Post#8 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Aenain wrote:
Fan wrote:

Maybe I misunderstand, but wouldn't it be impossible to spawn with wizard and druid spell slots both?

If you have 10 levels of MT, you can.

Aenain

Post#9 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Fan wrote:
Aenain wrote:
Fan wrote:

If you have 10 levels of MT, you can.

Cool... That was my only concern :)

addict-ant

Post#10 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:53 pm

I really like Fan's ideas on this.

Though i too, thought the most of 1 type you could get was 3 spell slots; with another 3 of a different class possible with the special built toon 20/20 split. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Perhaps though, we shouldn't be too quick with these changes so hot on the heels of the previous changes.

Return to “General Discussions”