SUGGESTION: Capping Spell Damage for Bosses

Trading, random questions, rants about your favorite sports team loosing, or anything else!
Brumm

Re: SUGGESTION: Capping Spell Damage for Bosses

Post#31 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:54 am

I'll change that when I am back.

Lady Seline

Post#32 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Fraggle wrote:Aha, Nonsens from a Player who has exactly 0 Toons which can solo and analyze Eventsrever, so 0 Experience with anything on Eventserver and is convinced about balancing a Spell with Special Math like 800d6 -1600D6. Really interesting Numbers you find.

Interesting?

damage=CL D5 each round. duration is CL/2
so L40 char=40x20 =/... wait for it... yes 800! So how the hell is 800 D5 a "special math"? Its a blatantly clear, concise, basic multiplication, and I wasn't even factoring in x 1.20 or x 1.25 for ER 4 and 5. I was trying to be "normal". If you prefere...

40x1.25x20=50x20.. 1000! 1000D5. You're quite right. A 1000 d5 spell sounds so much better. Not over powred at all comprared to a 50D6 fireball. There's so little difference between 1,000 and 50.

In what world do you think 1,000 D6 is apropriate damage for a L6 spell?
'Cos if thats how you feel pls change all spells to 1000D6 pls! :lol:
Last edited by Lady Seline on Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fraggle

Post#33 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:02 am

Oh Dear, i would totally agree with your Conclusions on some Spells you listed before, but sadly your Math is complete wrong.
When you would be an experienced Player, even with one single short Look you would know, your Numbers are far away from Reality.
Without using any Math, just simple tested on Thumper with a LVL 40 Sorc ( greater Evo/Conju ) Wall of Fire ( the spell Firewall i dont know sry ) and Acid Fog. Results with Maximized Spell was ca. 550 ( Wall of Fire ) and ca. 300 ( Acid Fog ) per Tick. Results on max Instilled ( so max Elemntal Weakness ) was ca. 1,1k for Wall of Fire and ca. 600 for Acid Fog. Both Numbers are, like all discussable, but really not OP and Lightyears away from your Calculation Results.
Alone your Description of Wall of Fire ( or you ment another Spell, apologize Firewall i dont know ) is wrong. 2D4 +1 per CL are definitv not the same like 1D6. And your Math for CL i simple dont understand ( 50 x 20 why ?). But i dont have the Patience to teach you Basic Math and show the Difference between + - * /.
Please stop penetrating Mankind with your wrong Math and their Conclusions.

Lady Seline

Post#34 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Correct!

Damage of fog is per round lasting 25 rounds. So pls multiply your 300/600 by 25. K?
Thats by your own test (on a single target with an AOE) a total of 7.5 to 15 THOUSAND damage per target from 1 spell.

And you're quite right, "Wall of fire" is a balanced 2D4+50. However I meant "Wall of Perilous Flame (warlock)", which is 2d6 points plus 1d6 for each level of caster plus casters Charisma modifier plus 2d10 for each Epic Relevel attained of fire and magic damage. A little more than the estimate CL D6, I think because if I'm reading this correct it would be 2+25 (CL)+20 (Cha)... 47 D6 fire/magic +10D10... (x25 (duration), double vs undead)

Though I'm not 100% certain if the bit that says "fire and magic" means its 1/2ed and each type that value similar to a Flame Strike, or 2x with that amount being the fire and magic components in full similar to a corpse explosion.

This is a thread about spells that need a damage cap, right? WoPF, Acid Fog are 2 such spells. Hence the request to rebalance them. Why are you complaing when I'm asking for another spell to be drowngraded for dishing out massive amounts over 3000 damage? Wasnt that the problem people were alledgedly having with drown and avasculate?
Last edited by Lady Seline on Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lady Seline

Post#35 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:19 pm

Drown was unbalanced because its basicly an instant death spell without the ability to block it with death spell immunity. Fix was just to lower its damage (I suggested making it similar to the similar lvl spell avasculate, but since it was lower lvl adding in additional damage mittigation with physical immunity), or just add on the "death" descriptor so it gets blocked by item/spell/class immunity.

Avasculate had a built in existing damage cap of 1/2 CURRENT HP, and 2 saves, but aparently that wasnt enough and I got an additional 3K max cap. Not happy, will obviously grumble, but living with the change to my character's entire 7 feat (aka 21 levels worth) focus that cannot be changed.

Mass drown shouldnt exist outside of Epic spell feats. Its litterally a L10 spell.

Lady Seline

Post#36 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm

LOL! Ty Sergoros!

He's cheered me up.

"if avasculate 50% capped is 2500
then spear 15% capped should be 750 dmg"

Ofc, its actually 3000 so by this slightly-off logic spear damage cap should be 900, but still he made me laugh. Tyvm :D

Fraggle

Post#37 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:31 pm

Doubtful mixing Questions of DPR with Duration to get a surrealistic total Number and argue from that Point, is RP Logic as its Best. Discussions based on such "Logic" are pointless.
Have a nice Day!

Lady Seline

Post#38 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Wow, Fraggle such agressive and confrontationally hostile language from a simple request to drop 7.5-15 K modified spells to function cioser to their original and normal damage behavior of:

Acid Fog:
4D6 acid inital, with 2D6 acid on each subsequent round.

Wall fo Perilous flames:
2d6 points plus the warlock's Charisma modifier of fire and magic damage

Putting them back in line with the damage delt by similar spells everyone else uses like blade barrier, Wall of fire, evard's black tentacles etc.

If the damage of these spells wasn't rediculously high, why else do you think Squall had an added DR buff to enemies vs fire and acid?

What possible reason could you have for that kind of behavior? I see these spells being exploited cosntantly for their horrific damage output, and honestly believe they need reducing. Cant you make a counter argument other than "You're wrong, RP logic" and actually discuss it propperly using examples without snarky comments like ' "Logic" (with quotation marks) 'have a nce day' etc and give an actual reason? or is that too much to ask?
Last edited by Lady Seline on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lady Seline

Post#39 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 pm

(P.S. Oh, I'm not adverse to apropriate levels of ER scaling ofc, that's perfectly acceptable. Even non-damaging scaling is fine. Warlock chilling tentacles dont really do significantly more damage than black tentacles after all, but their grapple chance scales up, for example.)

Return to “General Discussions”