Allowing more spells to be put on Fast Buff Rods

Trading, random questions, rants about your favorite sports team loosing, or anything else!
kc2345

Allowing more spells to be put on Fast Buff Rods

Post#1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:38 am

There are currently a significant number of spells that cannot be placed on a buffing rod due to not being targetable. These are mainly Druid/SS KPRC spells.

I would like to request that the spells still keep their "Personal" Range, but be target-able much like Divine Favor - so that they can be placed properly on a buff rod.

Some spells I noticed with this problem (feel free to add to the list if I missed any)
Embrace the Wild
Spirit of the (Bear, Wolf, Boar)
Hawkeye
Lesser Aura of Cold

MortisCorpus

Re: Allowing more spells to be put on Fast Buff Rods

Post#2 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Energy Immunity also has this problem.

PS. Does this issue also present on the Meta Prepa Rod?
Developer, Administrator, Lord of Ahala
AG_7's Resource Compilation

kc2345

Post#3 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:44 pm

Energy Immunity (and other dropdown menu spells such as Protection from Good/Evil) do not work properly with the fast buff rod for memorized casters like wizards and clerics. They need the Metaprep Rod for these spells, and even then, the spells do not properly apply metamagic like extend/persist. Spontaneous casters do not have this issue and are able to fast buff energy immunity and similar spells.

I believe this could be an inherent problem with the game engine and doubt it is an easy fix, even if possible.

The category of spells I was referring to in the original post has a completely different problem. They cast immediately upon clicking, not allowing the caster to target the fast buff rod to place the spell within.

The arcane Fire Shield spell had the exact same problem, and MMage was able to tweak it to allow targeting onto the rod (even if it were still personal range).

Hence, I think fixing these spells is not particularly difficult, and should be achievable.

bsb5652
Site Admin

Post#4 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 am

You just gave me a great idea. You are correct, all the issues with buff rods, etc are engine based issues and limitations. However, we have an awesome contributor to the server that has already completed several engine level overrides and fixes for us. I will reach out to him tonight to see if it is something he can address with NWNX and we'll go from there.
Brian Bloom

Realms of Trinity Executive Producer & Game Creator
http://www.realmsoftrinity.com

kc2345

Post#5 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:03 am

This would be great if possible!

The change I am proposing is somewhat simpler though. The listed spells cast immediately upon clicking, and thus cannot be put on a Fast Buff rod. Allowing them to target the rod would fix this problem.

Speaking of lesser aura of cold...

Caster Level(s): Cleric 3, Druid 3, Paladin 4, Ranger 4
Innate Level: 3
School: Transmutation
Descriptor(s): Cold
Component(s): Verbal, Somatic
Range: Personal
Area of Effect / Target: 5-ft.-radius sphere centered on you
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
You are covered in a thin layer of white frost and frigid cold emanates from your body, dealing 1d6 points of cold damage per caster level at the start of your round to each creature within 5 feet.

It's actually listed as a Cleric/Druid/Paladin/Ranger spell, but only Druids/Shaman have access to it. Is this a bug in spell allocation, or in the spell description? :lol:

Itaasi

Post#6 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:24 pm

kc2345 wrote:Speaking of lesser aura of cold...

Caster Level(s): Cleric 3, Druid 3, Paladin 4, Ranger 4
Innate Level: 3
School: Transmutation
Descriptor(s): Cold
Component(s): Verbal, Somatic
Range: Personal
Area of Effect / Target: 5-ft.-radius sphere centered on you
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
You are covered in a thin layer of white frost and frigid cold emanates from your body, dealing 1d6 points of cold damage per caster level at the start of your round to each creature within 5 feet.

It's actually listed as a Cleric/Druid/Paladin/Ranger spell, but only Druids/Shaman have access to it. Is this a bug in spell allocation, or in the spell description?

It used to be available to Rangers. I remember taking it to test it at some point way in the past ;)

bsb5652
Site Admin

Post#7 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:33 pm

Another idea that rolled into my head is that we could change all radial spells to be single selection so Energy Immunity is actually 5 or so different spells for example. Would be a hit to wizards or other classes that actually have to build a spell book, cause if you wanted fire and cold, thats 2, spells, not 1.
Brian Bloom

Realms of Trinity Executive Producer & Game Creator
http://www.realmsoftrinity.com

kc2345

Post#8 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:56 pm

That approach would be beneficial for memorized casters, but be problematic for spontaneous casters, as they can only know so many spells per level. A sorcerer, for example, would need to spend 5 of his level 7 known spells on energy immunity.

Wizards are somewhat unique due to having to build a spellbook, but are able to know more than enough spells via scroll scribing.

Instead of REPLACING the radial spells, the subradials could be put in ADDITION to them instead to avoid this issue. Memorized casters can memorize the both the subradial option for Fast Buff rod usage and the Radial option for flexibility in parties. Spontaneous casters can simply learn the radial.

Spells like Hawkeye/Spirit of the Bear/Embrace the Wild have a completely different problem though, by being immediately cast without an option to target a buff rod - and that one is fairly easily fixed.

Return to “General Discussions”