Class balancing program - Druid

Trading, random questions, rants about your favorite sports team loosing, or anything else!
Arturo Servantis

Class balancing program - Druid

Post#1 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Before I dive into this I want to state ahead of time for anyone that reads this that this is an idea I proposed a while ago on a dm forum and that this isn't an official dev thread nor is it a dev endorsed thread, but simply an alternative suggestion for ways to change and adapt the druid class, so please take it with a grain of salt unless an official comment is made on it by staff that this is just an idea and a WIP.

Ok so explicit disclaimer to one side, let's do this thing!

Hi everybody, (Hi Doctor Nick)

Today I’d like to present to you the idea of the [working title] Feral Beast Mastery Druid.
Drawing upon concepts from games like WoW and our already semi-functional base game Wildshapes, I’d like to present a work in progress concept for a melee druid or at the very least a Shapes centric druid.

The idea in a nutshell:

1. Druid combat styles akin to the ranger class, with two options: Feral Beast Mastery and Spellcasting. Spellcasting is your generic base druid. Feral Beast Mastery is the new shape-centric melee or spell like ability focussed druid play style.

2. Hyper focussed spell selection. Having selected Feral Beast Mastery, when spells are gained they draw from a greatly diminished list of spells that will only grant the player or their familiar/animal companion Offensive or Defensive capabilities “buffs”.

3. Feats and bonus feats. Following on from the above the feats and bonus feats gained whilst levelling under the Feral Beast Mastery style directly hook into the shapes and enhance them respectively and as outlined following this intro.

4. Shapes.
Shapes will undergo the following changes: Dramtic increase in number/usage equal to level or potentially infinite.
Variety of shapes will be extended greatly not only to make for a more enjoyable experience but to provide variety in game play and allow the player to experience multiple roles within the class e.g.

Large creatures such as bears = Tank
Medium sizes or typically more nimble creatures = dps
Tiny or very small creatures such as pixie = rogue skills

With all that said here is my first take on how the class will look. I took the initial level up of the class from the wiki and modified it, dug into the lore a bit and threw this together. Enjoy, looking forward to hearing your comments and critiques.

Disclaimer: Please take into consideration that this is an initial draft with “kitchen sink” mode engaged, and if taken forward will likely go through a great many changes pending implementation, if it gets that far.

Disclaimer: Please take into consideration that this is an initial draft with “kitchen sink” mode engaged, and if taken forward will likely go through a great many changes pending implementation, if it gets that far.

An explanation of the suggested feats and what they might do to the class:

Feats:
The following is a description of the feats described above.

Combat Style (Basic)
• At 2nd level, if the druid selects Feral Beast Mastery, he is treated as having the Weapon Proficiency (creature) and Weapon Focus: Creature, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for those feats.

(Automatically Granted) Combat Style (Improved)
• At 6th level, a druid’s aptitude in his chosen combat style (Feral Beast Mastery) improves.
• If he selected Feral Beast Mastery at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Power Critical Creature and Weapon Specialization Creature feats, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

(Automatically Granted) Keen Sense
Characters with this feat may apply their full Search skill even when making a passive Search.

(Automatically Granted) Combat Style (Mastered)
• At 11th level, a druid’s aptitude in his chosen combat style (Feral Beast Mastery) improves again.
• If he selected Feral Beast Mastery at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Improved Critical Creature and Greater Weapon Focus Creature feats, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for those feats.

(Automatically Granted) Combat Style (Perfected)
• At 21st level, a druid's aptitude in his chosen combat style (Feral Beast Mastery) improves again.

• If he selected Feral Beast Mastery at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Epic Weapon Focus Creature and Epic Weapon Specialization Creature and Multiattack even if the normal prerequisites for those feats are not met.

Swift Tracker
This feat allows a ranger to track while receiving no penalty to movement speed.

Blessing of Chauntea - Indefatigable Defender of The Realm 1
Chauntea the “Grain Goddess”, “Great Mother”, “Earthmother” a nurturing agrarian, keen on the development and growth of living things, bestows upon the druid the ability to use Wildshape equal to their level of devotion in the class. In so doing, nurturing and honing your ability to commune with nature and the natural world.

Dominion of The Deep Wilds 1 – Sanctuary of Summeroak
The druid gains the “Spirit Form” ability and all of the bonusses associated with it such as allowing shapes concealment.

Dominion of The Deep Wilds 2 – Blessings of The Blood Sea
When shifting into Wildshape or any other shape, the shape is treated as having the “Greater Rage” spell like ability cast upon it.

Dominion of The Deep Wilds 3 – Blood Tempered Intoxication of Land of The Hunt
Such is the ferocity of the endless hunt, the constant need to be on guard, to defend, to strike with such deadly precision as to leave one’s enemy with mortal wounds, befitting the lesser being that they are. Upon reaching druid level 28 the druid shapes are granted the Devastating Critical Creature feat even if the normal prerequisites for those feats are not met.

Dominion of The Deep Wilds 4 – Frost Forged Resilience of Land Under Eternal Ice
Having travelled across the great frozen tundra in search of knowledge, you gain a hardiness to your surroundings. Alongside a 25% or 25 /- resistance to cold, the druid may select two other damage types to receive this same bonus too.

Blessing of Silvanus - Indefatigable Defender of The Realm 2
The Oak Father, Silvanus, witness to your acts of devotions as a stalwart student of his wilder counterpart The Earthmother, Chauntea, bestows upon you the limitless ability to shift between forms. After 32 levels of devotion to the druid class your ability to master the deepest most profound aspects of the pack and animalistic tendencies have reached their peak, you are now able to seamlessly move between forms without limitation.

Elemental Mastery – Earth, Water, Air, Fire
Communing with nature, you have attuned yourself to the four fundamental elements, in so doing you are now able to channel their abilities with devastating or nurturing efficiency as you see fit. (Water elementals gain Quicken and healing spells, all other shapes gain maximise and empower if using spells or gain minor ab/ac/resistances)

Avatar of Nobanion - The Lion King 1-3 (Neutral Good only)
At levels 36, 38 and 40 The Feral Beast Mastery druid gains the following incremental Attack Bonus and Enhancement bonus to the four alignments that are not his or her own:
+5 AB and EB bonus vs Lawful, True Neutral, Chaotic and Evil.

Avatar of Ulutiu - The Lord in The Ice 1-3 (Lawful Neutral only)
At levels 36, 38 and 40 The Feral Beast Mastery druid gains the following incremental Attack Bonus and Enhancement bonus to the four alignments that are not his or her own:
+5 AB and EB bonus vs Neutral Good, True Neutral, Chaotic and Evil.

Avatar of Silvanus - The Forest Father 1-3 (True Neutral only)
+5 AB and EB bonus vs Lawful, Lawful Neutral, Chaotic and Evil.

Avatar of Tempus – The Lord of Battles 1-3 (Chaotic Neutral only)
+5 AB and EB bonus vs Lawful, True Neutral, Good and Evil.

Avatar of Malar - The Beast Lord 1-3 (Neutral Evil only)
+5 AB and EB bonus vs Lawful, True Neutral, Chaotic and Good.

Devotion to The Natural Order: Warden of Silvanus
Basic Attack Bonus equal to druid level. When shifting into any form grants BAB 40 and the creature is treated as having both the “Awaken”, “Animalistic Power” and “Extended Stormlord’s Avatar” spells cast upon them.

Pre-requisites: Blessing of Chauntea - Indefatigable Defender of The Realm 1, Blessing of Silvanus - Indefatigable Defender of The Realm 2, Avatar of ‘x’ 1-3.

Feats technical:
FEAT_WEAPON_PROFICIENCY_CREATURE
FEAT_WEAPON_FOCUS_CREATURE
FEAT_POWER_CRITICAL_CREATURE
FEAT_IMPROVED_CRITICAL_CREATURE
FEAT_WEAPON_SPECIALIZATION_CREATURE
FEAT_GREATER_WEAPON_FOCUS_CREATURE
FEAT_GREATER_WEAPON_SPECIALIZATION_CREATURE
FEAT_EPIC_WEAPON_FOCUS_CREATURE
FEAT_EPIC_WEAPON_SPECIALIZATION_CREATURE
FEAT_EPIC_OVERWHELMING_CRITICAL_CREATURE
FEAT_EPIC_DEVASTATING_CRITICAL_CREATURE

Let me know what you think, I spent a fair amount of time researching lore and trying to blend it in with feats that would work thematically with nature-related ideas.

Druid Shapes Data:

Excel Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i551njhpwto920v/ROT%20-%20Druid%20Summons.xlsx?dl=0
Last edited by Arturo Servantis on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kc2345

Re: Class balancing program - Druid

Post#2 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:47 pm

Interesting ideas, but don't think it will be easy to implement.

Right now, druids are very seldom played, except by first timers who don't know the server well, as most of their features are not working properly.

1) Spellcasting - Completely eclipsed by arcanes. Even with a divine rework to put nature spells on par, SSes will outclass them simply by having more feats, more casts per day, spontaneous casting, and innate conceal.

2) Animal companion becomes a minor speedbump for mobs after ROT2. The companion does not scale for post 30 progression, and buff stacks on them are completely negated by mords. Their damage is also bugged, as some secondary/tertiary weapons do only 1 damage.

3) Wildshape - Think you are trying to address this mainly in your proposal, but with the way the feature works in game (summon a creature and then you possess it) makes it hard to scale with gear.

Arturo Servantis

Post#3 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:01 am

kc2345 wrote:Interesting ideas, but don't think it will be easy to implement.
3) Wildshape - Think you are trying to address this mainly in your proposal, but with the way the feature works in game (summon a creature and then you possess it) makes it hard to scale with gear.

Agreed on 1 and 2. The difference being that with number 3 it wouldn't function as gear dependent. The benefit of playing the druid class and for that much dedication to a single class, you would end up with a character that could function in those forms without the need for gear progression.

The only other options would be to make a series of druid inventory items, the presence of which would trigger a script cue that would scale up or down the wild shapes etc. 'x' amount of dedication would earn you 'y' item or just the levels alone would earn you each progressive upgrade.

There are lots of ways we can make wild shapes scale just off leveling when it comes to druids gear is going to have to be secondary to the nature of the playstyle and I for one welcome that, it makes it much more immediately accessible to everyone and means it is one less gear grind. Hell yeah to that!

Fraggle

Post#4 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:22 am

Agree on 1 and 2.
Remark to Point 1, a 36 lvl Shaman has only 1 Epic Bonus Feats more than a Druid. I am sure its possible to give Druids Conceal too. But main Issues , Preparing Caster ( may its a matter of taste but i dont like to manage Preparing Caster ) and lesser Spells stays.

Point 3 :
Shapeshifting has several Issues, you cant use Pots or Items ( thats really ugly ) and Boni from Gear dont count too ( inventory Items sometimes bugged too ).
Wasnt the original Idea for the different Shapeshifting Forms to give Special + Abilities, specific Immu and Damage Type?
I dont know if its possible to code Shapeshifitng Forms, but i believe thats one way to go. I have several Ideas i.e.
- 1 Shapeshfting Form for high Physical Resistance, DR and lots of HP, Regen ( Tanky Style )
- 1 Shapeshifting Form with very high Saves ( or maybe specific Spell Immu like immu Petrify ), for fights vs DC Caster
- 1 Shapeshifting Form with high SR ( for fights vs Arcane Casters )
- 1 Shapeshifting Form with Sneak Dice, HIps .... for tactical play
- 1 Shapeshifting Form as Rescue Mode ( Ethearless, High regen ...... )
When its possible to Code Shapeshifting Forms i would prefer this way and you can Balance although with Resistances, immus, + Abilities, HP, Regen and so on, to compensate the missing Boni from Gear.
Think Druids would be than very interesting for first Toon, as at the End not so Gear depended and allows different playing Styles too.

Arturo Servantis

Post#5 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:59 am

Updated OP with druid shape data.

valen

Post#6 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:38 pm

Well I have recently returned to the server and was previously the first Druid to reach ER4 almost entirely in Dragonshape.

With the increase in difficulty I can honestly say the only option for Druids endgame as things stand now is going as hard as possible for full caster level , max DC , epic harsh and domineering casting ( assuming they stack ) , epic spell pen and epic conjuration focus. Try squeezing all of that in on NWN2DB :)

I was surprised how well a plague/SoV/mass drown dragonshape druid with persistent damage auras and maximized moonbolts performed at the increased difficulty levels - the entire Dragon council in the CH 2.11 sewers succumbed to SoV stun so I know my DC is already pretty decent at lvl 30.

While a SS caster would likely still be stronger , I made it through the whole of CH2 on EX2 partied with a spartan on my first attempt since returning. It will be interesting to see what CH3 brings.

Claw of Malar is an interesting concept - 1 spell level per 4 levels is brutal compared to all other full BAB casting progression PRC's and then becomes 2nd fiddle to Hospitaler/DC/etc. With no description what the class feats do , i'm going to earn a few Claw levels on an alt and see what they are for.

I am trying hard to resist the 2 Bard dip for +7 ab , feeling dirty about it RP wise and would have to go wash my scales in the Temple of Talos acid pool daily as required penance - also still not enough AB other than hitting on perhaps a 19 as well as nat 20 and ruining that all important CL/DC.

Druid 30 / 8 Hospitaler / 2 Monk still gets you stuck in the AB magic cap 55-60 range with no obvious remedies in sight other than a caster tank that lets enemies kill themselves on the persistent auras.

Being able to take Claw of Malar earlier with a fairer druid spell progression - alternatively with buff spells only by choosing this class is the only practical way I can ever see an endgame viable melee shifter. But I will continue leveling my Dragonshape Druid into max spell power and see it performs. I may still be the only one crazy enough to try.
Valen

Crouching celestial leopard , hidden dragon.

Return to “General Discussions”