EDM not multiplying when Critical hit

Trading, random questions, rants about your favorite sports team loosing, or anything else!
Samyx

EDM not multiplying when Critical hit

Post#1 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi folks
I have opened a ticket on that (#1711), but maybe the community has seen that : The EDM divine damage is not multiplied when critting (magical and physical are multiplied although)
Any idea what could have caused that ?
I have tested that with Fraggle, and on the same monsters his crits did multiply his EDM, mine did not.
Any idea ?
Thanks for the help
Kr Samyx

addict-ant

Re: EDM not multiplying when Critical hit

Post#2 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Following testing with Fraggle i discovered that crits were changing - testing with a base weapon (no forging) my EDM was criting. Changed to my normal weapon and EDM wasn't. Switch back after a rest and EDM wasn't criting with the base weapon - I suddenly noticed the order of damage in the CS had changed with it; then I remembered something Naamarikala said in Discord and I believe he's right:

Naamarikala - 03/23/2018
"...if a character has more than three damage increase effects, only the first three and the 13th effect will multiply on critical hits. Only the order of application matters."

If anyone else would like to test and report back, it would be appreciated. So far i think what Naamarikala said is true.

P.S. We also seemed to discover that Many Shot operates by it's own rules - please be careful when testing with this feat but it does warrant closer scrutiny.

Samyx

Post#3 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:14 am

I'm not sure about the order : I 've made a test now with EDM adn my UD-forged trader falshion in 2.4
Seems the physical and the divine were multiplied correctly * 4 , while magic was only *2 and electric was not multiplied. And the char sheet shows a different order : https://imgur.com/a/1R1r1c5

I did another test, using a fighter falshion UD forged (with +2d8 divine and sonic).
I had EDM on, equipped the falshion (so the EDM bonus was at top of damage list in CS) then the crits were multiplying divine and physical, magic was barely multiplied by unknown factor. Result : https://imgur.com/a/tnEgJWQ
Then I rested, so EDM disappeared from the top, then EDMed, and then only magic and physical and positive (which is far in the list, and comes from set bonus) are multiplied : https://imgur.com/a/Pbxcbdw
how to interpret this ?

Fraggle

Post#4 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Made several Tests.
At least with my Rogueset user, results are strange. Thought i figured out once how the mechanics works, seems at the first look unequip weapon, use EDM than reequip Weapons worked with Set Damage Boni and EDM was critted. Made the same test with Basic weapon and didnt work with Set Damage Boni, despite in which order i use EDM.
At least unequipped Set and all worked properly with EDM Crit.
Sadly i must say EDM Crit is totally bugged and i have absolut no idea why.

Brumm

Post#5 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:08 am

That sounds like another serious engine bug. As far as I know there is no way to change the crit-behaviour of damage types so I fear we won't be able to fix the issue.

The whole mechanic of critical hits in NWN2 seems to be totally messed up. If you add a static physical damage bonus to a character for example it does not crit even if it should. Magic damage on the other hand - and some elemental types if I recall correctly - do crit. That's the reason why the ROT STR-Bonus is magic damage by the way.

Greetings
Brumm

Fraggle

Post#6 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:45 am

I suspected that it is a serious Engine Bug with EDM Crit and not easy or impossible to repair.
Will test later if there is only a Problem with EDM or it effects DM too.

I remember times when Str Bonus was shown as magical damage type, but tests show nowadays other results.
Str/ Int is Physical, CotW Dex and EB is Magical and Cha is Devine, proved by CS and Combat log. Str has a small impact on magical damage too, but couldnt figure out which math works for that.

Fraggle

Post#7 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:58 am

Tested only Devine Might with my FSsetuser Singer/ Healer Build.
Tested with set ( 2d12 Devine Damage Bonus ) and without Set, with different Weapons Ranged and Melee with different numbers of damage types from Weapon. All works properly, DM Crit works.
I would please another Player to test DM and EDM with legendary forged Weapons, if it works properly or there is a difference between DM and EDM.

i will test again my EDM Rogue with and without stacking Sets. Maybe only EDM is bugged or the 2 sets cause the trouble.

Fraggle

Post#8 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:24 pm

So, made last Tests.

Conclusion:
1. Devine Might Crit works properly with FSset ( only 2 Danagetypes applied from Set) without legendarys on Weapons for Ranged and Melee.

2. EDM dont work properly with Set Damage types and legendary forged Weapons.

3. Figured out a mechanic to let EDM Crit work for Set Damage, unequip Weapon, cast EDM, requip weapon and than EDM Crit works.

4. Naamarikala figured out that it has to do with the order of applying damage, it seems he is absolut right!
Unequip Weapon and than cast EDM rises up the Position of Devine Damagetype at CS and after reequip, EDM applies before Weapon Damageboni and than EDM Crit works.

I would please other Players to test and prove these Results!

Question to Developers, when testing Results are correct, is it possible to change the order which damagetypes applies, to always first Physical, Magical and Devine, as these are the 3 Damagetypes for Damage Boni from Abilities?

Apologies the testing Spams!

Brumm

Post#9 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Well, the problem is that Divine Might normally is applied last when you have all other effects - like set bonus damage - already applied to your character. That is pretty hard to work around because you would have to strip all those effects when you cast EDM and reapply it after you apply EDM. Very error prone and not easy to do.

I am not sure if it is possible to change the order in which different set damage bonus effects get applied because set effects are just one major combined effect.

Return to “General Discussions”