Average Joe Campaign (AJC)

Trading, random questions, rants about your favorite sports team loosing, or anything else!
Cervantes

Average Joe Campaign (AJC)

Post#1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:57 pm

The job sounds promising. Gold for carrying books back to a shop. Easy money. And travel expenses covered. You know how to be discreet. You can work with others. Sure. No problem…

This is the official thread for the Average Joe campaign. Herein are the rules and guiding documents for the campaign, subject to change as needed.

Objective…
The objective of this campaign is to engage in a low-magic, small-group roleplaying experience spanning all levels of play.

Rationale…
Magic trivializes entire categories of monsters and problems which would otherwise be terrifying or thought-provoking. It is the goal of this campaign to re-examine those monsters and problems without the benefit of excessive magical might. Sharp steel and quick wit will be relied on, rather than fireballs and divinations.

Schedule…
This campaign will meet weekly, on Wednesday nights, at 5 PM EST, and will conclude between 7-7:30 PM EST. From time to time, it may be necessary to push back start times to accommodate asset development by the dungeon master. It is estimated that the campaign will run from 3-4 months.

Characters…
Players should create characters at level 2, with starting gear +200 gp worth of equipment. Additional gold should be surrendered. After initial purchases, all gold gained by players should be treated as copper in value. For example, if killing an orc yields 326 gold, it should be treated as 326 copper. All future transactions by players characters must be handled through the DM as an intermediary.
Players are restricted to the following classes to start:
Fighter
Rogue
Barbarian
Thug
Non-spellcasting Ranger
Swashbuckler
Players may only have a single base class and a single prestige class. No ECL-adjusted races may be used.

Equipment…
Players are limited to non-consumable items by tier. Tier 1 (Levels 2-10) are limited to +1 or non-magical gear. Tier 2 (levels 11-20) are limited to +2 gear. Tier 3 (levels 21-30) are limited to +3 items.
Players may purchase consumable magic items from NPCs for listed prices after conversion. For example, if Krister lists a Cure Light Wounds potion at 50 gp, the player must pay 5000 of their (gold) copper pieces for the potion.
Additionally, a list of non-magical gear has been made, and additional gear may be crafted by player intent by using the craft skills and paying a fee. A list of non-magic gear will be listed at the end of this post, and is not all-inclusive – additional ideas can be proposed.

Rules modifications…
1. “The One-down Rule” – once per session per character, a character death is treated as an incapacitation. The player may be revived by having another player forfeit a healing kit or healing potion of any quality. Any future deaths are treated as legitimate character deaths. Players may make new characters at party level -2, or the party may pay for a Raise Dead if they have earned the favor of a powerful priest and can afford the reagents.
2. “The Healing Kit Rule” – healing kits may only be used out of combat. Healing potions may be used freely during combat.
3. “The Perspective Rule” – if the PCs are faced with a puzzling situation or story turn they cannot manage, they may call for PERSPECTIVE once per session. The DM will then rapidly disclose all information pertaining to the situation. If the DM has nothing to disclose, he will come up with a clue/prompt to aid the players.
4. “The Tactical Combat Rule” – some fights deserve to be turn-based. Once per session, the PCs may call for TACTICS, triggering a tactical combat. The DM may call for a tactical combat whenever required. When tactical combat is declared, the game is paused and all hostiles are set to passive. The game will then be unpaused, and initiative will be manually rolled for all combatants. The video game will be used as a virtual tabletop for purposes of positioning and movement, and the combat actions will be resolved using the in-game dice roller and stats on character sheets. This rule is being put in place to allow for interesting fight mechanics by both the PCs and NPCs like taunting, picking pockets, mind control, and for perhaps the most important reason…VILLAIN MONOLOGUING!
5. No pets or hirelings.
6. Additional rules will probably pop up. Be flexible, and remember: story first.

Advancement and Reward
Players can expect an average of 1 character level per session, awarded at milestones, capping at level 30. For example, if the players spend four full sessions engaged in a long dungeon delve with many traps, monsters, and NPCs, they will not level mid-dungeon, but will probably be awarded 4 levels upon completion of the dungeon when safely back in town.
For their participation, players will be awarded 50,000xp per hour for the main character of their choosing. Additional awards might be issued, depending on where the story takes us.
Last edited by Cervantes on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grevaine the Blackbird, recruiter for the Arcane Society
Hank Stone, tinkerer and supporter of the down-trodden
Rembrask Alhavisk, not-so-pleasant mercenary
Baelnorn, DM

Cervantes

Re: Average Joe Campaign (AJC)

Post#2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Those interested in participating in this campaign should be inside the bookstore in TTC at 5pm EST SHARP on Wednesday, December 13th. There will be four seats in the campaign. In the event of more players interested than seats, we will randomly select participants from the pool of players who arrived before 5PM. You should arrive in-character, with your starting gear and 200gp of equipment already purchased, and have the skeleton of a back story ready for introductions.

Also, the discord server will be used for this campaign by the dungeon master. You do NOT need a microphone to participate, but you DO need to hear discord. Players may communicate by typing.

Please do not take a seat in this game if you cannot commit to the weekly play time.
Baelnorn, DM

Garasou

Post#3 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:03 pm

Cervantes, are you sure you want to allow Thug as one of the base classes without placing any additional limits on it? Cheap Shot will pretty much make any combat survivable by other classes trivial to them as in non-ex it's a nearly guaranteed stun that does very good damage (and upgrades to doing 200+ a hit at level 18) plus there is also their mind control non-boss enemies and make them temporary minions.

Rangers are also somewhat wonky due to pet scaling, pets are VERY good at lower levels.

Cervantes

Post#4 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:34 pm

I didn't know that thug ability was so powerful. Perhaps we will not be using that. I do want thugs for the mixture of sneak attack and BAB. I forgot to mention in the rules, no pets or hirelings - pets on RoT are WAY out of line. I'll amend the rules. Good catch.
Baelnorn, DM

Sergoros

Post#5 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:49 am

I dont see any mention about level-adjustment races here. Do they get treated like in original campaign?

addict-ant

Post#6 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:13 am

Cervantes said no ecl races in an earlier thread.

Sergoros

Post#7 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:25 am

Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Cervantes

Post#8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:58 am

Adding to rules. Good call.
Baelnorn, DM

Belferon

Post#9 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi,

I was wondering about the "Easy Mode" characters? I'm guessing that those will also not be allowed? Just making sure before we start off this campaign.

Thanks!

addict-ant

Post#10 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 pm

I presume not also but a good question. I have another: could you clarify "starting gear +200gp worth of equipment"?
I had assumed we could spend 200gp on starting gear but then i took a good look at prices and thought again when a longbow costs 150gp. As such, now I'm thinking up to our starting quota (10k btw) on wearable gear/weapons (up to +1 if I'm reading right) and up to 200gp on inventory items such as potions, kits, traps etc..but that seems a little op.
Please advise.

P.S. any reason swashbuckler is not allowed?
P.P.S. thinking of bringing a ranger

Return to “General Discussions”