Idea for new ongoing campaign

Trading, random questions, rants about your favorite sports team loosing, or anything else!
Cervantes

Idea for new ongoing campaign

Post#1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:02 pm

*emerges from the shadows*

Hello, folks,

I've been toying with ideas for ongoing campaigns in my noodle for a couple weeks. The one I've settled on is as follows:

The Average Joes campaign.

The idea: players will be restricted to non-magical classes only. Fighter, rogue, thug, barbarian, non-spellcasting, non-companion rangers...probably not monks (they're not all that average.) Very low-magic (probably +3 max, non-magical gear can give bonuses by trading off for penalties.) Advancement will be very quick...start at level 2, eventually get to level 30, perhaps 1 level every week or two. All characters will be one base class, or one base class and one prestige class.

The inspiration: having seen the remake of Stephen King's It, the second season of Stranger Things, and Shyamalan's Split, and always being a fan of Lovecraft and his ilk, I like the idea of non-magical folks dealing with problems in a supernatural world. Whether it's thinking around the problem, talking around the problem, or hitting the problem with a baseball bat, I like when muggles encounter the supernatural and don't just curl into a ball.

The rationale: I'd like for folks to exercise the power inherent in their characters rather than their items. There won't be anyone running around with 20 extra spell slots at each level, or a 50 in two stats. You'll have to rely on your builds and your classes for your juice. I'd also like for folks to explore the possibilities of playing relatively pure builds. No 1 cleric/1 monk/1 sd/37 SS here.

Systemic restrictions: no pets, gear as mentioned above, independently tracked wealth (no, that orc that dropped 7000 gp didn't actually give you 7000 gp,) no wish shard perks, leveling as mentioned above.

Pedigree: If you know me, you probably know me as the fellow who started the LLC. Some of you folks who have been around a bit longer might remember me as the DM who co-piloted the Paradox Fragments story arc for several months. Those who have been around longer still might remember a lich named Amon Koul who terrorized the Arcane Society for the better part of a year. I have already hashed out the skeleton for this campaign, and expect it to last around 3 months.

Right now, I'm checking for interest. Does this sound like something some of you would like? I'm looking for 4 players...5-6 becomes redundant at higher levels, and more players means less spotlight. I'd also like to actively use discord for this. I would probably be wanting to run this either Monday nights or Wednesday nights, eastern standard time. I don't want to step on LLC's toes - Saturday is their slot.

Also, anyone see any problems that I'm just not noticing?
Grevaine the Blackbird, recruiter for the Arcane Society
Hank Stone, tinkerer and supporter of the down-trodden
Rembrask Alhavisk, not-so-pleasant mercenary
Baelnorn, DM

Caylin

Re: Idea for new ongoing campaign

Post#2 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:08 pm

If the timing can be worked out I am very interested.

Caylin.

addict-ant

Post#3 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Aye, very interested (FYI everyone - you'll be hard pressed to find a better DM anywhere)

However, I would have thought the time difference will be a killer for me. How early EST could you start?

When you say actively use discord, do you mean RP-ing over voice chat?

Cervantes

Post#4 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Well, earliest would probably be 5pm EST...I get home from work at 4, and would need prep time.

As to discord, yes, I would do my talking over discord. I wouldn't expect players to. I like doing voices =P
Baelnorn, DM

addict-ant

Post#5 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:57 pm

:P 5pm EST is 10pm for me - that sounds doable.

necroscope445

Post#6 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:37 pm

That sounds like something I could sink my teeth into,
Monday would probably be better for me (selfishly) as I don't have such a ridiculously early start on Tuesdays. GMT 10pm ish start is ok. How long do you envisage each session lasting, aamoi ?
Player John Doe

Cervantes

Post#7 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Between 2-3 hours, probably closer to two. I'm going to introduce a new mechanic called "Perspective." If the PCs are at a loss with what to do, once per session, they can call for PERSPECTIVE. I will then give them a recap of all information pertaining to the current situation, including anything from previous sessions they may have forgotten about, or anything in the game world they may not be aware that they can do...it's basically auto-pilot for 5 minutes to correct the course. It should cut down on down time and useless tangents. This would be painful to do in chat, but will be very easy using Discord.
Baelnorn, DM

Caylin

Post#8 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Remember that no magic means no ab buffs really and especially no defensive buffs like deathward and mind blank. Many monsters will be very hard without those critical defenses.

I think i can do that timing though it is late for me. It would be better at around 2 hours per session. Thats already 1 am for me.

Cervantes

Post#9 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Caylin wrote:Remember that no magic means no ab buffs really and especially no defensive buffs like deathward and mind blank. Many monsters will be very hard without those critical defenses.

That's the idea =) Access to a lot of those buffs trivializes certain monsters which are supposed to be much scarier than they get credit for. Plus, it'll make feats like Iron Will and Slippery Mind more attractive, and it might make you look twice at some prestige classes which grant defenses/better saves against such things, not to mention pack a ranged weapon and be more stealthy/scouty when worried. I'm looking forward to seeing how a group without such magical tools reacts differently to, say, a vampire or a mind flayer.
Baelnorn, DM

Randomn4me

Post#10 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:26 pm

I like the sound of this too but the timing for me in Europe is not great. If it kicks off I may give it a try and see how it works out.

Will "spell like ability" classes like assassin and blackguards also be blocked?

Return to “General Discussions”