Can not connect to server

Trading, random questions, rants about your favorite sports team loosing, or anything else!
furiousfist

Can not connect to server

Post#1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Hello ROT community,

I am planning on playing on this server again after some time away. Since the last time I played however I installed windows 10 on my pc. I had to do a full install of neverwinter nights 2. Now I am getting some errors.

#1 problem:

I can't update my host file to remove the long wait once I hit multi player button. The path c:\windows\drivers\etc\hosts
does not exist on my pc.

The game update Storm of Zehir seems to be not working. When I run it, it ssays "the server name or address could not be resolved, the patch has been aborted." It did update something I think, it syays version 1:20.

When I run the game I get a windows box that comes up and states.
"an app on your PC needs the following windows feature Direct Play"

When I attempt to install it I get a error message saying " The following feature could not be installed Direct Play?
Error Code: 0x80071A90

#4 and most important of all of these
When I try and connect to ROT server I get a connection error:
Client and server versions do not match

I do not know where to update my version since the game does not update anymore.

Does anyone know how to fix any of these issues.

Please advise

thanks

Furiousfist

Belferon

Re: Can not connect to server

Post#2 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:45 pm

Hello there,

Not too sure how much I can actually help you, but I'll give it a try.

1) I'd wait until you have solved your other problems first before looking into this. IE: Make sure you can connect first.

2) Well, you CAN patch your files locally/off line if you download the appropriate patch and the program to do it. They're both located at: http://neverwintervault.org/ Look in the upper right hand corner and hit the, "Patches" button. Once there, you can choose NWN2 from the drop downs and your language, and OS, etc. That should narrow it down a bit for you to choose from. There will be quite a list to choose from though.

3 - 4) I would also wait on these to see if they're cleared up after your patched to the correct version as well.

Honestly though, I think it would be better to just go to GOG.com and get their, "Complete NWN2 Version" for $20. That should contain all the latest patches and you should be able to connect up to Trinity then. On thing though if you do that, you may need your old CD Keys if you have them as I believe your old characters are tied to them. So please keep that in mind.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I do use Windows 10, and I went and bought the, "NWN2 Complete" version from GOG.com rather than mess with all of the offline updating and looking for manuals and disks and such.

Good luck to you either way, and I hope this helps in some small way.

Cait_Sith

Post#3 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:40 am

Hello,

for point 1.
I don't run Windos10, but i read the 'HOSTS' file can be found under 'C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc'

in regard to the update, i did it just 2 days ago myself, just get the patches from the vault as Belferon discribed, i installed the OC first followed by MotB and SoZ, then patched it up with the 'xp2' patches; they are the ones for SoZ the last add-on.
To patch up push the upgrade to get the last files and the upgrade for the Patchsystem, then just throw the 'xp2 .zip' files in your root folder Programm \ Atari \ Neverwinter2\ , or where ever you installed it, disconnect your PC from the net, i did it without diconnecting, just to be sure and run the upgrade butten again multiple times. Every time you should install the next higher patch verson.

Btw, if you go to the neverwinter2 folder in your user acount and open the 'nwn2.ini', by entering 'Disable Intro Movies=1' under [Display Option] you also can remove the intro movies if you like.

furiousfist

Post#4 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:53 am

Thank you for your help.

I did manage to find the patches I need to get me up to the latest version but for some reason I can't get them to work.
Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I extract the files into my c:/program files x86/atari/neverwinternights 2/ folder and then I unplug internet and run the auto patcher but I get the same error as I did before and no updates happen.

Error is :
The server name or address could not be resolved
a connection to the internet was not detected
the patch was aborted

furiousfist

Post#5 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:13 am

I took a screenshot of the patcher I found but I don't know how to use it. Can I not post it on these forums? When I try and copy and paste the screen shot nothing happens here.

Cait_Sith

Post#6 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:55 am

no idea how to use images on this forum.

about the patches, you may be able to patch the system manual by using the downloaded patch files with 'NWN2 patcher by TNT220' you can get the proggy from vault too, but be sure to use them in the right sequence.

EDIT:

Maybe you can add images over the 'Attachment' option and 'Add files' at the botten under the Text window?

furiousfist

Post#7 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:12 am

Well good news, I decided just to buy the nwn2 complete from the link on the main page. Delleron suggested works like a charm once I put in my cdkey codes I got my characters back as well.

Thanks

Itaasi

Post#8 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:43 pm

Another way to avoid the long wait time on multi-player login is to use the client extension. That did it for me at least

Belferon

Post#9 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:16 pm

Hello again,

I just wanted to add, that as Itaasi said, you can download the client extender to avoid those long waits for the multi-player log on. Glad to see that you're up and running again. :)

furiousfist

Post#10 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:28 pm

I can't seem to figure out how to install the client extension. Where am I suppose to extract the files to? No matter where I do I get a error when I try and launch the game using it.

Return to “General Discussions”