Prestiege Class Enhancement - Eldrich Knight

All that is new.
bsb5652
Site Admin

Re: Prestiege Class Enhancement - Eldrich Knight

Post#11 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:12 pm

So is the setup of this class to be honest. I am going to revert the changes now so that we get it restored to original state until we can rebuild the class from the ground up. Testing of my fixes had no effect.
Brian Bloom

Realms of Trinity Executive Producer & Game Creator
http://www.realmsoftrinity.com

bsb5652
Site Admin

Post#12 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Changes have been rolled back mostly. I left the quicken spell at level 1 and the HD Change to d8 from d6. Rolled back all bonus feat changes and bonus feat selection.

Sorcerer spell selection has been 100% verified fixed upon taking subsequent sorcerer levels.
Brian Bloom

Cataca

Post#13 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm

I am a tiny bit conflicted about the EK changes now because

Tried to build a pure caster Sorc15/EK16/Barb2/AS7

people are going to abuse EK for their AQ casters, just as above.

As said, the biggest issue EK's face because they are a MAD class, is that they have to be built in easymode or built with specific class combos that wreck their CL otherwise (12ftr). Imho EKs need something that will allow them to max int, and still hit ~80+ AB that you basically need for endgame.

If you aleviate the power that EKs need with a bunch of bonus feats, they are just going to be abused as a feat mule aka. hospitaler with full casting progression. (-1)

bsb5652
Site Admin

Post#14 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:09 pm

The info listed above is incorrect. I had to back out the changes mostly. I am keeping the d8 hit dice and the free feat at level 1 of Quicken Spell. We can talk more later about the idea you have, which makes total sense, but anything else for now is not going to happen.
Brian Bloom

kc2345

Post#15 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:34 pm

While I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with building a pure caster with EK, that is subjective and probably something the devs will need to decide on.

In the EK/AS build I was planning on, the EK class isn't actually used as a feat mule as the EK bonus feats are somewhat back-loaded. Try comparing the number of feats versus a 30 Sorc/8 AS/1 Cleric/1 Barb (similar casting power), and you will see the EK build actually falls behind in sheer feats.

Instead, what EK does for a pure caster build is give it 7 or so AB, so they can go Cha+Con and still hit with RTAs, access to wear the EK set (doing so means not wearing most of the arcane set due to overlap), and a significant chunk of HP.

Edit:

Front loading the EK class too much would result in non Gish arcanes dipping EK for the bonus feats. Right now the first level of EK (assuming the bugged fighter armor/shield proficiencies and the free level 1 feat get removed) is fine as it only offers Quicken Spell or Skill Focus Concentration for non-AS and AS builds respectively - the equivalent of 1 feat (combat casting is relatively useless).

Putting in the bonus selectable feat as per the original plan or even leaving the fighter proficiencies (Tower Shield) makes it highly desirable as a 1 level dip even if the bonus level 10-24 feats are stripped away.

kc2345

Post#16 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

I am still considering throwing EK onto my AQ caster.

Would like to check if the following information is accurate (from content library), and if the feats are general or limited to fighter + wizard bonus feats only for build planning purposes. (Beta is down :( )

"- Bonus Feats: The eldritch knight gains Combat Casting, Quicken Spell, and Skill Focus (Concentration) at first level. You gain additional bonus feats at level 16, 18, 20, and 24. "

Planned build is Sorc15/AS3/EK20/Barb2 - stack arcane set with EK robe + ring.

bsb5652
Site Admin

Post#17 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Everything was rolled back to stock EK except for the bonus feats, quicken at level 1, and the d8 hit die / level. The tlk file should be correct and on the content library. I updated the main post of this thread to reflect exactly what was rolled out.
Brian Bloom

kc2345

Post#18 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:02 pm

A bit of a thread necro, but have recently been considering building a Gish type character.

Is there any chance the EK class can be extended further from 24 to 34 levels? The change from a 10 to 24 class level cap is welcome, but I am wondering if this was implemented back when the HD cap was 30 instead of 40. An EK with 25+ levels is automatically disqualified from the epic purist feats anyway, and this would help open up some more Gish type build possibilities.

This would also help Gish types not be forced to take a 2nd Arcane Melee PRC in order to have decent BAB and caster level.

Perhaps with bonus feats at 27, 30, 33? This would be in line with the 1 epic feat/3 levels of most base classes.

konst3d

Post#19 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:19 am

Few weeks ago played with EK on wnw2db and had the same idea crawling my mind.
Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

Return to “News”