AC bonuses and cap

This is the place to post builds and or questions on builds.
CrackedIce

AC bonuses and cap

Post#1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:10 pm

I just learned about the fact that there is a cap to dodge ac at 20.

Is there a list that tells me the class abilities, feats and spells that fall under the dodge ac cap?

Are there max values for the other ac bonuses of natural, armor, shield, deflection?

If so, a list for these would be helpful as well.

I am in the middle of Scout/Champion of Wild build and noticed the nwn2db builder puts champion of wild, scout and slippery defense ac bonuses under "dodge ac" category which kind of sucks as I assume that other classes/races are better at getting ac since these all contribute to the dodge ac cap :(

Please advise.

Thanks

addict-ant

Re: AC bonuses and cap

Post#2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 pm

This link is probably the best you'll find - i'm not sure anyone knows the full info you're after:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16

There are no caps to the others but they don't stack (except racial ac bonus + armor skin feats). They also don't go up that high e.g. max deflect you can get is 18 from a spell or set ability and i think that's the highest.

kc2345

Post#3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 pm

I have tested the slippery defense feat in combat with deep gnome characters and can confirm that the racial +4 AC does not count towards the dodge AC cap. Perhaps it's classified as dodge AC just to determine how it behaves vs touch attacks/flatfooted.

As a general rule, what counts towards the dodge AC cap are all KPRC class abilities, spells and activated abilites. You'll be at +13 from boots + Haste effect, so you can afford +7 more from abilities/buffs.

CrackedIce

Post#4 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks KC.

What about combat expertise and the Dervish modification of that feat with defensive parry?

So invisible blade and duelist ac are not dodge ac since these are non kaedrin builds? (as well as dragon disciple and pale master, I guess). It appears these four classes along with swashbuckler all have non dodge ac bonuses then.

kc2345

Post#5 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:46 pm

I am pretty sure combat expertise isnt counted towards the cap.

The dervish modification should count towards the cap, but have not personally tested it.

Yup. Non KPRC classes with bonus AC progression (Swashbuckler, monk, duelist, DD for example) do not count.

You can think of the dodge AC cap as analogous to the magical AB cap.

One caveat: I am not sure mechanically how the daring outlaw feat works. It might be possible that the missing AC from swashbuckler levels is added on as dodge AC to compensate instead of truly modifying the swashbuckler AC bonus.

Brumm

Post#6 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:24 pm

I thought we lifted the dodge AC cap. I am bit rusty with everything but am I that wrong?

Garasou

Post#7 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Brumm wrote:I thought we lifted the dodge AC cap. I am bit rusty with everything but am I that wrong?

Fan certainly tried but apparently the change only made the dodge ac (and magical saves) appear in the character sheet, but when they were tested recently using the combat log the ac above the cap wasn't used.

addict-ant

Post#8 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Brumm wrote:I thought we lifted the dodge AC cap. I am bit rusty with everything but am I that wrong?

I'm afraid you are buddy, same with the save cap - I would love it if we could get the CS to speak the truth, one way or the other - any idea if it can be done? (or the resource required to do it?)

Brumm

Post#9 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:18 am

I am pretty sure that Fan got it working and tested it with the combat log. I have to ask him but maybe we screwed something up.

Brumm

Post#10 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:36 am

I got an answer from Fan. He is pretty sure as well that we tested the cap removal with the combat log. What we know is, that you get strange results if your AC is too high because the engine can't handle it. But I guess that was not the problem, right?

Return to “Player Building”