FS build

This is the place to post builds and or questions on builds.
adam

FS build

Post#1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:09 pm

http://nwn2db.com/build/?261327

FS double weapon build. Melts when dispelled, but should disintegrate anything within swords reach.

would this be better with the 4/5 FS set, or the Elf Crookweave?

kc2345

Re: FS build

Post#2 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Build seems fine. Might give up 2 great Cha feats to get improved combat expertise, since that will lower your AB to 93 and set AC to 117 - making survivability much higher while still being able to hit things pretty well.

Could also consider taking Luck of Heores as your level 1 feat instead of able learner - and take the Cleric War domain for holy warrior access. Holy warrior is 4 damage for 1 feat, making it equal to 4x G.Cha feats at the cost of 2 feats. You do lose some DCs/spellslots though.

Gear wise, you could also consider 4/5 paladin set - think it adds 3d12 unresistable positive damage, which is devastating with a double weapon, but AC will suffer. Paladin helm has blind fight and cloak has extend, which is handy in addition to Chamod regen.

Drow castle theurge belt should cover persist - not sure where practiced caster would come from though - maybe Rasturil's? (Not compatible with Paladin set though)

For you AC calculation, did you factor in the 20 dodge AC cap? You get 12 boots, 1 haste, 5 DS and 4 Battletide/Recitation, meaning you have an excess of 2 dodge AC over cap.

Caylin

Post#3 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:13 am

According to testing by sergeros and Nataichal you only get the full ab for doubleweapon if you have 15 dex even with the ptwf ammy. At 14 dex some penalty gets Applied to offhand maybe due to the req on two weap fighting being 15 dex and amulet not fully bypassing that.

I have not tested it myself though and you are likely the most experienced double weapon builder on the server. Have you noticed it so you can confirm?

If true you might want to get 15 dex on your build.

kc2345

Post#4 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:32 am

15 dex is not needed.

Sergoros and Nat had a miscommunication. Just spoke to them in-game about it 1-2 days back.

Sergoros

Post#5 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:04 am

This bug only appears if you try using 2 weapons with ptwf amulet. Like 2 daggers, for example. It does not appear with doubleweapon.

Solution for two weapons is probably picking two weapon fighting feat...which requires 15 dex. But it has nothing to do with the build Adam is trying to make.

Caylin

Post#6 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:46 am

My bad then.

Thx for the correction.

kc2345

Post#7 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:29 am

I am playing around with the idea of a FS/Fighter doubleweapon user. Not as many feats/AC/worse caster than a 35+ FS build, but less susceptible to dispels and has EWF/EWS/Weapon mastery - slightly higher AB and significantly higher damage.

Maybe something like 26FS/1Bard/1Cleric/12Fighter?

EDIT:
Something like this:
http://nwn2db.com/build/?255046

adam

Post#8 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:41 pm

it is a toss up. Let's say both builds have holy warrior. It would be easy enough to squeeze in without losing damage potential.

you lose:
1 bard damage
1 divine favor damage
8 EDM damage & duration
3 deflection AC (SoF CL 30 vs 40)
2m on your short buffs
CL & DC & Spell Slots

to gain:
16 damage (8 of which will probably be resisted) from EWS & MWM
1 ab

net: +6 damage, +1 ab, -3 AC, -2m buffs

kc2345

Post#9 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:50 am

I think the MWM damage is added to character and is not subject to resistance. Dropping FS to 25 and raising Fighter to 13 for +6 str is also an option.

The builds are slightly different (the one I put up has only 10 dex and hence no Expert Tactician, but has 16 int, 14 Con, and Imp Expertise built-in for example), but I agree that the general analysis is valid even if they were built with the same starting stats.

The main advantage of the hybrid build is that it's less melty when hit by dispels and can still fight decently (Mid-80s AB) when short term buffs wear out.

Of course, it does lose out to the pure FS when picking up DM items, and "enjoys" as whooping 60% XP penalty though :(

Small side note: The original build would need to switch deity to Finder Wyvernspur as Kelemvor is not compatible with a CG Cleric alignment.

EDIT:
How about this?
http://nwn2db.com/build/?261526

Loses: 10 EDM damage, duration, and DCs.
Access to barbarian gear

Gains: +4 to hit and +2 to damage (Inspire Courage +7 and Battledancer) - (+103 to hit O_O)
Curse Song at 16 Bard song level (Artist counts as +3. Full ER bonuses, -5 AB, -7 AC penalty at ER5 is pretty good)
Expertise
Some HP

Retains full 40 FS casterlevels.

adam

Post#10 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:03 pm

that is sick. my only concern would be battle dancer. Do SS levels let you qualify for this, in game?

Return to “Player Building”