For new players from a new player

Aggregated information and player-written walkthroughs.
Heathir

For new players from a new player

Post#1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:12 pm

Howdy yall,

I have been on here the past 6 days and think I have interacted with a fair number. I am sure some of you wish I would stop with my incessant posting and questions. I thought it would be a good idea to get something out there for new players. With the release of the phone apps for BG and BG2 more and more people are getting back into the old D&D games. NWN2 is definitely where a lot of them will end up since it is still an AMAZING game.

RoT is pretty much at the top of list when I searched for persistant worlds while my game was downloading so its where I started. I have a lot of fond memories of player created material from NWN so I knew I wanted to do a PW rather than the OC.

If your like me and are jumping back into the game, then this guide is for you. If you have tons of experience then please send me any helpful add-ons and I will update them.

1. If you need help ASK. It's fairly obvious but sometimes we don't want to seem like a bother. This is an incredibly helpful community. Ask if your stuck. Ask if your are unsure. Ask if you need a hand. Everyone from the players to the DM's will help.

2. Easy mode vs Normal mode. Developers have plans to phase this out use it at your own risk. Honestly you don't need the benefit as advancement is so fast here, but your warned. Use at your own risk. Advancement is pretty quick here, but the mobs scale up quickly also. Take the easy mode for the exp boost. After you have spent some time with your character you can decide if you want to make a different one under normal mode. There is no stigma from the players or dm's that I have seen from players who took easy mode. It's there for a reason. Use it.

3. Wish shards. Wish shards are an interesting mechanic on this world. You can use them to buy upgrades, exp, gold, perks, etc. Wait until you have at least completed the prologue before buying anything. If your like me, and I would dare to guess most players, you immediately bought an item. Wait until after the prologue, trust me*wink wink*

4. Dying. There are gold and exp penalties for dying. When you die you are given an option to respawn at the temple or in place. If you respawn in place it essentially rests your character and respawns. So it's the same as if you just rested...no buffs applied, no pet summons, shift lost...etc. If you spawn at the temple you will have to run the chapter you are on all over from the beginning. Decide if its worth it. I made the mistake a respawning more times than I could count (in the neighborhood of 10 times once). I totally regretted it. There is also a wish shard cost when you get to a higher level. I didn't realize I was at that threshold. When you lose all 9 of your wish shards on a new player it hurts. Most of the time the temple is the right choice. Chapters are broken into small chunks so they aren't that bad.

5. Buffing. Buffing is HUGE on this server. Use your buffs. After a few days you will begin to hate casting buffs all the time. If you open the wish shard store you will see something called a Fast Buff rod. BUY IT!!!!! Single best thing I have seen to buy in the wish store. I haven't tried the Meta Buff Rod, but it was recommended to use this over the fast buff as its easier and more versatile, I will test and update this.

6. Fast Buff Rod. It's a little confusing. The explanation makes sense, but the game mechanic confuses it. So you have read about how to use it, your spells are ready. You click on barkskin and it doesn't load onto the wand. You retarget want, recast...nothing. Well if you put your mouse over the rod as if you have to target it appears nothing happens. Just click the rod. When you click it with the spell primed it will give you the purple bubble, but it only does it once you click the rod with the spell loaded.

7. Loading meta buffs on the rod. You need to cast the spell multiple times to prime the rod for meta magics. So barkskin. You want to make it extended. Memorize 2 REGULAR versions of barkskin and cast it twice on the rod. Your status screen will say it loaded it once and then it will say it loaded it extended on the 2nd cast. Now you can remove regular barkskin from your memorized spells and memorize extended like normal. You HAVE to have the memorized spell in your book with the meta applied for the rod to apply the spell. For persistant, same thing, but have to cast the basic version three times.

8. Chapters. If you don't get an update in your journal you didn't complete the objective. I speak from experience when I say you may think you have completed an objective, but if the journal didn't update then you missed something.

9. Any character can work. As far as I have seen, all characters are playable. At the top levels there might be disparities, but anything can work.

10. Sell things to the Jeannie. You have a coin in your backpack for a Jeannie. Hotkey it, when your encumbrance gets too high sell heavy things to her in the middle of your chapter. You will need this.

11. Selling items. Different vendors have different max amounts they will pay for things. Jeannie max's at 5k. Seems fair when she is the MOST convenient vendor in the game. Trinity town center looked like 7500 max sell value to me, and I hear there is a vendor that will buy items for a 12500 max level in chapter 2. Keep that in mind. If you can lug the loot out of the dung its worth more in town.

12. Immunities. Immunities. Immunities. I have never played a game where setting up resists, spell resist and immunities was so important as this one. They can be the difference between winning and dying on a fight. Learn them, love them, Use them.

13. RP mode. This thing scared me when I read it. It says it penalizes you if you say the wrong things, rewards you if you say the right things. Well I am a chatter box and not the best RPer when I start talking fast. I don't think I even turned this on until the 5th day. Use it when grouped, it's worth it.

14. OOC. I knew nothing about RP when I came here, but a few players have recommended to just use common sense. If someone is RPing in conversation with you and you want to play along great do so. Just try to be courteous to them. Use some kind of method to denote when you are talking OOC. Such as : /p OOC I need a Bio break. /p \\\my kids are tearing apart the house. \\\p ohh crap hubby is home, gotta log to prevent hubby agro (true story). It's fun and creates some interesting moments.

15. Shout. I have to tell myself this all the time, DONT overuse shout. I am a chatter box, and if no one is around I always wanna talk to someone. Shout is server wide so always people. Yeah, refrain from overusing it, this is a work in progress for me;-)

16. There is a lot of information on the boards. ALOT of it is out of date. Ask players in game. This game is pretty old and there just isn't near as much information out there as I have seen in other games. Use the best resource around. The players in the game

17. AC is king. I don't know about higher levels but when you are starting out. Stack as much AC as you can. It's worth it and you wont regret it.

18. The forge. You have a forge with a right click on any item. You can add stats, ac hp, effects, etc. They aren't cheap especially when starting out, but you can add them to any item. Choose carefully though. You don't get your money back. Also different forges in the game have different levels. So keep your eyes open for other forges where you can put more powerful effects on your gear. I have noticed that the chapters usually give you a large cash reward about the time you are about to hit a new forge. Not sure if its intentional, but if the game gives you 500k in gold, keep your eyes opening, your about to have something to spend it on.

That's it for now. I will add more as I learn more, experience more and find more. This game is amazing, I love the players and totally plan on supporting it for a long time. I love groups, and people to talk to. If your in game look me up on Felicity or Lessa. I may not always have the right information but I can be guaranteed to tell you something;-)

Heathir
Last edited by Heathir on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lomir

Re: For new players from a new player

Post#2 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Good post. Only thing I'd suggest is to spend the extra wish shard and buy a meta-prepa rod for any caster character, instead of just the fast buff rod. It's shinier, and far more friendly to use.

MortisCorpus

Post#3 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:35 pm

We have scheduled plans to phase out Easy Mode.

While it is there, to use without stigma, I would advise against it from now on. It will only complicate your play when we remove it.
Dungeon Master, Administrator, Lord of Ahala
AG_7's Resource Compilation

Heathir

Post#4 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:53 pm

Excellent you two and thank you. It's updated. I might be presumptuous to be posting this, but I am a chatter box;-)

imoofan

Post#5 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:05 pm

That was very informative and I wish I had read it before I started playing seeing as I was one of those people that spent his only wish shard right away and then got the item I purchased as a reward lol.

pumpprodigy

Post#6 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:37 pm

Related to selling items to the coin
Gold cap is only 5k
ID costs are 175
and while I have not tested it yet, I think it pays you a bit less then a vender would for your items too.

@Mort - do you have any further information on the easy mode changes, or is that still in the drawing phase?

imoofan

Post#7 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:20 pm

pumpprodigy wrote:and while I have not tested it yet, I think it pays you a bit less then a vender would for your items too.

Then wouldn't it be a good way to free up space in your inventory of junk and such? Especially early levels?

pumpprodigy

Post#8 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:43 am

imoofan wrote:
pumpprodigy wrote:and while I have not tested it yet, I think it pays you a bit less then a vender would for your items too.

Then wouldn't it be a good way to free up space in your inventory of junk and such? Especially early levels?

Absolutely! Sell those trash items worth less then 5k if it is weighing you down, just make sure to grab a bag of holding from the shop in trinity, or the one in the shard shop for those low STR builds.

Also it would be prudent to note that the max gold given for an item varies from city to city. That should be added too.

Grumblefloof

Post#9 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:33 pm

Speaking as a new player (to RoT if not D&D or NWN), thank you for writing this. I found it helpful.

In regard to carry capacity, I was wondering if the bags are actually necessary, since it looks like we can dump anything into shared storage and then retrieve it at will, in essence having a giant bag of holding accessible by every character ono our account. Or is that considered an exploit?

MortisCorpus

Post#10 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:23 pm

Persistent storage is designed as a way to facilitate account wide storage for all of your characters. It is okay to use it as a way to move gear amongst all of your characters.

From a server stability and lag control outlook... Personal bags of holding are by far better for overall server performance.

If you use your character as a primary item holder and persistent for rare collections and transfer of items you will help us all out.

That said, you are free to use it as you like.
Dungeon Master, Administrator, Lord of Ahala
AG_7's Resource Compilation

Return to “Compilations, FAQs & Walkthroughs”