Lag and Stability Tips and Tricks

Trading, random questions, rants about your favorite sports team loosing, or anything else!
Randomwiz

Lag and Stability Tips and Tricks

Post#1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:06 pm

As of late, we have had an increase in DM event participation, as well as some new players on the server. I would like to thank all the new players for trying out ROT. Ant and I try to do as many events as we can so you as players can have some fun outside of the main story and end game areas. As of late we have noticed some issues player side with lagging and what not. Here are a few ways you as players can help reduce those issues and help stabilize the servers performance.

1: Any time you are in a large group, (Mainly DM events) be sure to turn off the combat log. This little trick alone could make a huge difference in the lag you have.

2: If you haven't done so already, there is a link on the main page of the website to install the client extender. This little gem can help solve a number of crash and stability related issues. I will admit it's not perfect, and some players don't use it. I personally have used it for a long time and love it.

3: This last suggestion may be the most important of all. The server calculates each and every item a player is wearing and has in their inventory. One thing you can do as players is move any unused items in your inventory into the persistent storage. I know I am as guilty as anyone about having a large amount of potions, spell scrolls etc just sitting in my inventory when I am player side. Moving those unused items to the storage will make a huge difference server side on performance.

4: If anyone has any other tips/tricks they would like to add, please feel free to do so.

You guys make ROT the best persistent world out there. I hope you all continue to enjoy everything ROT has to offer. Cheers and I will see you in game.

Wiz

MortisCorpus

Re: Lag and Stability Tips and Tricks

Post#2 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:17 pm

- interesting tidbits...

Persistent storage is a separate customized SQL server that manages items outside of the servers load. This neat addition stores up to 3000 items per player account and is usable by all characters on the account. This is a great/safe way to move things from character to character without incurring any loss.

It is usable anywhere at anytime.

It is possible to request Guild persistent storage for a donation. There are only a handful of guilds using this option, and it is done on a case by case request.
Dungeon Master, Administrator, Lord of Ahala
AG_7's Resource Compilation

Itaasi

Post#3 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:55 am

Also, NWN2 is an old game, so it's not multi-core compatible.
So if your PC has an older multicore CPU that doesn't have a very large size per core (2.8GHz or lower), it might be a good idea to change the affinity of NWN2, so that the game uses the last of your cores.
Otherwise it will use the first core, like most of the other programs on your PC and won't be running as well as it can :)

To change the affinity of NWN2, do the following:
Press ctrl+shift+esc on your keyboard. This opens task manager.
Right click nwn2main.exe and select "Go to details"

In the Details tab, right click nwn2main.exe and click "Set affinity".

Deselect all the cores and reselect the last core (last 2 if you have a CPU with hyperthreading. Mine does.).

Then click "OK".

PS: In Windows 10, this can only be done once the game is running. In Windows 7, you can start the game with a certain affinity, but for some reason this was disabled for Windows 10 :(

Hopefully final edit: Screw Photobucket! They diabled image sharing for non paying users, so I had to find an alternative... Imgur to the rescue!! Hopefully the pictures will stay correctly visible for good now! ;)
Last edited by Itaasi on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:11 am, edited 10 times in total.

addict-ant

Post#4 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:28 am

Another tip that MadMage suggested for events is to deactivate the RoT hud.

Itaasi

Post#5 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:00 am

I updated my original reply to this post to include instructions on how to change the affinity of nwn2main.exe.
Once i get home from work, I will update it with a few pictures too, so it's easier to understand ;)

addict-ant

Post#6 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:26 am

I have one for DM's - the DM client is renowned for crashing on server transition. I've been finding this is much reduced if
A. Setting the CPU affinity as Itaasi said.
And
B. Only ever transitioning between TTC and South Suzail.

Could just be random luck ofc but I'm finding it helps a lot.

Itaasi

Post#7 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:58 pm

I updated my original reply again. There are now pictures to help :)

Itaasi

Itaasi

Post#8 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:12 am

Sigh... Had to upload the pictures at another photo sharing site, since my original one sucks...
Pictures should be good now :)

Itaasi

Post#9 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:01 pm

I have discovered that the way to start a program with a certain affinity every time wasn't lost in the transition from earlier Windows version to Windows 10.

Below are the instructions on how to do it:

First, right click on your shortcut for NWN2 and select Properties.

Second, locate the target line and replace what's there with the following:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity XX "NWLauncher.exe" "<path to NWLauncher.exe>"

This line makes cmd open the client extention (NWLauncher) with a different affinity than normal. The affinity is defined by XX. Replace XX with the appropriate hexadecimal value from the table below, so that it starts with the desired affinity.

For players with an i5 or i3 CPU, see the table below.
01 - core 0
02 - core 1
03 - core 0 & 1
04 - core 2
05 - core 0 & 2
06 - core 1 & 2
07 - core 0, 1 & 2
08 - core 3
09 - core 0 & 3
0A - core 1 & 3
0B - core 0, 1 & 3
0C - core 2 & 3
0D - core 0, 2 & 3
0E - core 1, 2 & 3
0F - core 0, 1, 2 & 3

For players with and i7 CPU, add the table below to the table above:
10 - core 4
20 - core 5
30 - core 4 & 5
40 - core 6
50 - core 4 & 6
60 - core 5 & 6
70 - core 4, 5 & 6
80 - core 7
90 - core 4 & 7
A0 - core 5 & 7
B0 - core 4, 5 & 7
C0 - core 6 & 7
D0 - core 4, 6 & 7
E0 - core 5, 6 & 7
F0 - core 4, 5, 6 & 7

You can combine the 2 digits used to make a program use of a combination of the first 4 and the last 4 cores.
Example: You want a program to use the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th cores. To achieve that, write 3C.

I personally prefer to use the latter core(s), as few other programs use those. I use C0, so nwn2main.exe uses the last 2 logical cores. In other words, the last physical core.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Instead of automatically saving your RoT related files in the default Documents folder, you can change which folder the shortcut will make the game use.
Below is the command & parameter combo to add to the target line after the affinity switching command & parameters combo:
-home "<path to the folder, you want your RoT files to be in"

If anyone is interested, my shortcut's target line looks like this:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity C0 "NWLauncher.exe" "D:\Spil\NWN2 Complete\ClientExtension\NWLauncher.exe" -home "D:\Spil\NWN2 Complete\NWN2-RoT"

Return to “General Discussions”