LLC 3.0

Trading, random questions, rants about your favorite sports team loosing, or anything else!
Randomwiz

LLC 3.0

Post#1 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Whispers In The Beginning

Sir Landon Yeardley pushed against the corpse's chest with his boot and pulled the silver-tipped bolt free. Blood pushed out from the gaping hole left in the dead mans chest. Sir Landon lifted the bloody bolt and gave it a quick glance, then wiped the blood away. The silver glistened in the light of the full moon. Landon gave the bolt one last look and placed it back in his quiver. "Well, what have we here?" Said Landon. He reached down and lifted the pendant up from the corpses neck. The old leather string attached to the pendant felt flimsy. He tugged once and the pendant broke free of the dead man. Landon moved the pendant in his palm until it caught the light of the moon. The metal was black, and had been twisted into a cross, with a wide loop at the top. A single black gem was set in the center of the pendant. Landon looked deep into the gem, seemingly mesmerized by it. The dark gem began to swirl and pulse, offering a glimpse of what lurks within.

The loud sound of hooves beating against the path behind him brought Landon back into focus. He turned and seen the Trinity guards riding full speed up the path. He quickly tucked away the pendant into his tunic. The guards stopped a few feet from Landon and dismounted. "So you got him?" Said one of the guards. "Yeah, I had been tracking him for a few miles." Said Landon. The fire burning inside the Tavern behind the men was starting to gain momentum. "Was he the only one?" Said one of the guards. "As far as I know." Said Landon. The roof of the inn collapased, making a loud crashing noise and sending plumes of smoke and fire out of the Tavern. Landon let out a sigh. "Well don't just stand there like an idiot sergeant, go fetch Krister." Said one of the guards, giving the sergeant a wry look. "Yes... yes sir!" Said the sergeant. The sergeant gave a quick salute and raced back down the path towards Trinity.

Half an hour later, the sergeant returned with Krister riding beside him. As the two men dismounted, Krister glanced at Landon. "Ah, you must be the hunter." Said Krister. "Something like that." Said Landon as he gave a whimsical bow to the priest. A look of disgust began to form on Krister's face. "You know I never liked your kind." Said Krister. Landon shrugged at the priest. Krister walked over to the corpse and began to examine it. "Lets see here." Said Krister. "Fangs poking out of the corners of his mouth, pale a ghost, yep its a vampire." Said Krister. The priest stood up and dusted himself off. "If there is nothing else, I will return to the Temple." Said Krister. "As you wish sir, and thank you for taking a look." Said one of the guards. Krister walked back over to his horse and mounted it. "Zombies are one thing Hunter, but Vampires are a special breed." Said Krister. The priest kicked his right leg and the horse began to trot away. Landon watched the priest until he was out of sight. "Sergeant! Light a torch and burn this corpse." Said one of the guards. "Aye sir." Said the sergeant.

The sergeant pulled a torch and a small glass vial of lamp oil from his saddle bag. He then walked over to the edge of the burning tavern. The fire had started to dwindle now that most of the structure was burned away. He lit the torch and walked over to the corpse. He pulled the cork from the vial and poured the lamp oil on the corpse, then tossed the empty vial away. The Sergeant leaned down towards the corpse, the torch extended in his right hand. The corpse lept from the ground and sank it's fangs into the sergeant's neck. "Dear god!" Said one of the guards and drew his sword. The sergeant let out a scream. The torch fell from the sergeant's hands but grazed the corpse during its fall. The corpse burst into flames. The corpse pushed the sergeant and he fell to the ground. Blood was shooting from the two holes in his neck. "GET HIM!" Snarled one of the guards. Landon quickly drew aim with his cross and fired. The bolt sailed true and sank into the corpse's heart. The corpse looked at Landon then fell to the ground with a thud.

"I thought you killed the damn thing?" Said one of the guards. "I thought I did as well." Said Landon. "If you don't hit the heart directly, they won't die. I must have missed." Said Landon. "I can see you there." Said the sergeant. Landon and the guards looked over at the Sergeant, blood still shooting from his neck. "I can see you very clearly." Said the sergeant. "What the..." Said one of the guards. The sergeants eyes had turned solid black. Dark red veins had started to form, paving a dark and twisted maze in the mans eyes. "Kill the bastard!" Said one of the guards. Landon lifted his left hand and stopped the guard. "I want to know what he has to say" Said Landon. "The hell you mean?" Said the guard. The black eyes shifted towards Landon and started to flicker. "She is mine! MINE I TELL YOU!" said the Sergeant. "Tears began to form in the corners of Landon's eyes. "Where is she!" Said Landon. "Far, far away." Said the Sergeant as he chuckled. "Tell me where she is!" Said Landon as he reached for his cross. The Sergeant opened his mouth and exposed his fangs. Landon took aim, and fired.

"This way Sir Landon, the King is waiting." Said the man as he led Landon down the long hallway. The King was sitting at a small table and stood as Landon entered the room. "Your Majesty." Said Landon, kneeling before the King. "Please take a seat, we have much to discuss." Said the King. Landon took a chair at the table. "As you know, the reason I called upon you is quite obvious. We have a problem." Said the King. "You are one of the very few people who are familiar with them. You know how they think, how they act." Said the King. "I also know they took Catherine." Said the King shaking his head. "Please Landon, I know it's hard but it is possible she is dead." Said the King. "She isn't dead!" Yelled Landon. The tears began to stream down his cheeks. The King reached over and put his hand on Landon's shoulder. "I know you love her Landon, but this is about more than her. Those monsters are killing innocent people and we don't know why. The citizens of Trinity need your help Landon." Said the King.

Landon pulled the last saddle strap down tight and patted his horse on the neck. "We are going to find her boy." Said Landon. He lifted his foot into the stirrup and pulled himself up onto the horse. "Lets go boy." Said Landon as he made a clicking noise with his mouth. The horse began to trot down the street. As he made his way out of Trinity, he noticed the small well outside of the C&B Tavern. His thoughts brought him back to when he first seen Catherine, sitting there by the well. He brought his horse to a stop. He couldn't seem to take his eyes off the well. It was almost as if she was sitting there now. He could see her in his mind, looking back at him. "Leaving town sir?" Said the guard. Landon quickly looked over at the guard. "I... I am." Said Landon. "Very well then, OPEN THE GATE!" Said the Guard. Landon clicked his heels and the horse trotted through the gate. With the sun at his back, Landon left Trinity and set out into the unknown.

-------------

This is the backstory for the next arc of the LLC Campaign. I would personally like to thank County for all he has done with the LLC. We will be looking for new players to fill out our normal goal of six members. Please post if you are interested in joining us for some role-play fun!

Wiz

addict-ant

Re: LLC 3.0

Post#2 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Huge, massive thank you to County *doffs cap, bows low* It's been an absolute blast, I only hope I can do half as well as you DM side.

The next LLC (now being rebranded: the Limited Levelling Campaign) will re-commence Sat 17th June, in the year of our Lord 2017 @ 12pm EST (5pm GMT) ;) We always meet in the C&B pub Westgate, Trinity. Sessions are usually approx. 2hours and are currently scheduled for every Saturday.

For those who aren't familiar with us: we are a DM led RP group that quests weekly and our characters are starting their second story arc.

We are currently at level 8 and have the following confirmed players:
Randomwiz (a bard)
Belferon/Corgano (a ranger with possible arcane archer intentions)
Drakkon (a rogue/assassin)
Scoobiwan (a favoured soul)
Proteus (a ranger)
Randomn4me (a cleric/doomguide)
Syn'Trel (half orc barbarian/fighter?)

Biowarefan (a bard) is currently mia and jwm1972 (a warlock) has had to bow out for the time being due to work but we are keeping seats warm for them.

We'd like to aim for 6 core players but would like to be flexible for those who may need to drop in/out from time to time. I'm going to place an arbitrary max of 10 total, 'on the books' so-to-speak. In the highly unlikely event we repeatedly have more candidates than places, it is possible repeat attendees will take precedence but we will avoid it if we can.

Rewards:
Tokens for each session will be given out. Tokens may be used by your other characters to redeem for 300k xp, 1million gold, or little perks crafted onto your existing armor (maybe +1 more regen, or a +3 to a skill instead of a +2 - any forging will be: subject to Admin overview; will require several tokens; items will be forged only once and will be cursed). Alternatively, you can use the tokens for special supports to your low-level campaign (LLC) character, such as rescue missions, hired guards, borrowed magic items, etc. The choice is negotiable.

Rules:
Please obtain permission for any ECL races; please bear in mind the ECL will be in effect (you will always be that many levels behind the rest of the party). No exploits to boost character power. This is tricky, as exactly what is an exploit isn't always clear. The motivating example is from a previous campaign, someone had full caster levels for their character level and took practiced spellcaster. This means they were casting at 4 spell levels higher than anyone else in the party could. There was no reason for them to have taken practiced caster except to benefit from this engine quirk. This is what I have in mind as an exploit. If you're not sure if something counts, please ask.

Levelling is restricted - the DM will tell you when you may a take a level irrespective of how much xp your character has.

Non-magical gear from Mick's to start. Should go without saying, but don't pull things like those items that provide boosts just from being in your inventory from your persistent storage. Progression will be low magic more in line with PnP (unless and until we reach epic levels ;) ).

Any skill will be useful. Of course spot and listen are probably safe bets as are social skills, if you're worried about where to put skill points but my advice is don't worry too much about it. We'll try to make any skill fun and useful. I encourage people to use their initiative in using skills but please accompany it with appropriate RP.

NO SUMMONS/COMPANIONS. Their custom ROT scaling makes them unsuited for this kind of campaign. Note this might be adjusted for specific sessions/situations, but generally don't plan on being allowed these.

Dual Classing and Prestige Classes: if you would like to take either of these please let me review a build plan for the character. With the options available it is possible to blow party balance totally out the water. XP penalties are not workable and thus not allowed. Hence dual classes must maintain a max of 1 level difference between the classes e.g. a 3rd lvl fighter/4th lvl cleric must take a fighter level next. I will consider Racial preferences but it will depend.
For Prestige Classes: as well as observing any RP requirements for them, I request a full commitment to the max level possible; either all at once or along the same lines as dual classing.
Last edited by addict-ant on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 22 times in total.

Randomwiz

Post#3 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:22 pm

We are still looking for a few players who want to join us in some RP fun! I have finished roughly a month of story so far and plan on finishing at least two more sessions before the week is up. I really like how the story is shaping up so far and I think it will be a blast. Current LLC'ers if you are able, please advertise while you are in game. We would really like to see a full party kick this thing off. Unless something has changed, I believe Ant wants everyone to submit character builds to him for approval prior to the start of the story. If you have anything you wish to add Ant, please do as I have probably overlooked something :)

Cheers

Wiz

Drakkon

Post#4 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:40 pm

I would love to join.

addict-ant

Post#5 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:44 am

Drakkon wrote:I would love to join.

Glad to have you aboard! :P

addict-ant

Post#6 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Re: Character Builds, I've been thinking about this one because a couple of people have approached me about the possibility of dual classing or taking prestige classes. I've never been against such in PnP (quite the opposite) so am inclined to say yes...but within the confines of the original rules and good 'ol'fashioned common sense'. However, what we can't have is anything that would give an XP penalty - because that is unworkable from a DM perspective.

So i'm going to say: if you intend to stay pure class-wise then you don't need to submit a build but if you want something a little more funky, then please let me review it. I also have a few general rules - that I will add to the OP - to follow if you want to dual class or take PrC's.

Edit: updated OP with new players and rules - any feedback welcome

addict-ant

Post#7 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Updated OP with new player and current character classes.

Welcome Scoobiwan!

Drakkon

Post#8 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 pm

At the moment I plan to play a rogue/assassin if this is allowed.

addict-ant

Post#9 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:13 am

Drakkon wrote:At the moment I plan to play a rogue/assassin if this is allowed.

I expect it will be fine - please submit a build plan so i can give it the once over.

MadMage999

Post#10 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:47 am

Unfortunately I have a prior weekly engagement at the time and day of the week for the LLC 3.0.

If there's anything I can do to assist, let me know, and I wish you the best of times playing and good luck with this campaign.
Co-Founder: Arcane Society

Return to “General Discussions”