Newbie build project

The 'pay it forward' Guild of RoT

Moderator: MadMage999

Caylin

Newbie build project

Post#1 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:53 am

I have an idea for a way for us to help out newcomers to ROT.

How about we make some public builds on the database designed for newcomers and assuming no items and having to lvl up manually and make a thread here on forums with links to them?

Probably need 5-6 different ones to cover the most common playstyles.

Would anyone be interested in that?

kc2345

Re: Newbie build project

Post#2 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:19 am

It's not a bad idea. Probably would like to see some feedback from newer players if this will be helpful.

Would be happy to help design some beginner-friendly builds if needed.

addict-ant

Post#3 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Valariax

Post#4 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:56 pm

I like this idea too.

By the way, there are about 30 or so RoT "Reference Builds" on NWN2DB (mostly by AGhost_Seven) that may be a bit dated and in need of some tweaking, but perhaps you could use them for inspiration if you don't want to completely reinvent builds from scratch. When I started out on RoT I found the detailed descriptions, pros & cons and notes particularly valuable since they usually addressed RoT-specific concerns that are often different from the base game and other PWs to which new players may be more accustomed. Adam (afuray on the db) does a good job of that, as well: e.g., "Steadfast Determination - highly recommended in order to solo on RoT due to some areas of spammed low-DC death attacks vs. your Fortitude Save where you'll eventually roll a 1!"
DM - Chronicle
DM - Maëlys

Caylin

Post#5 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:37 am

Nice thoughts valariax.

So what types do we need? Keep in mind that builds should be good for newbies and not optimized for when you have a full set/dm award items.

1) arcane caster
2) rogue type
3) divine caster
4) arcane gish
5) divine gish
6) tank

More types needed or anything that should be taken away?

TwinHaelix

Post#6 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:31 am

New player here, this would be really helpful! It would also be extraordinarily useful to include information that is hard to find unless you already know what you're looking for regarding RoT-specific items, feats, spells, and skills.

Examples:
  • Which feats can you assume can be found as properties on items? Example: I've been told that I can find items that grant Blind-Fight, Extend Spell, or Persistent Spell feats, and there's apparently a rare item that grants Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting
  • What custom RoT feats are good for builds, but are not in the Content Library or the wiki? Example: arcane caster golem feats
  • What custom effects are relevant to figuring out build viability? Examples: STR has additional scaling on melee damage at higher modifiers. Also, the Haste spell apparently provides an additional attack bonus when cast from a spellbook at higher Caster Levels, which is not documented in the Content Library or the wiki
  • Are there skills or feats that are bad for RoT because of server-specific changes or features? Example: right after the prologue, the campaign gives you a gem that passively grants +20 to search without taking an equipment slot, which makes spending skill points on Search somewhat of a waste
  • Are there skills or feats that are very good for RoT? Example: I've seen that Steadfast Determination is "required" to be able to solo certain areas.

It's quite possible that there's a centralized "Cool info for newbies!" post somewhere that details all of these kinds of things and I just haven't found it. If such a page exists, please point me to it! If not, can we make one?

EDIT: I just found the Resource Compilation here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=628. Lots of good information, but also some out-of-date stuff. At a glance, it looks like there still isn't a good way to see fully up-to-date spell information without just reading all of the commit logs.

Ariakus

Post#7 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:54 pm

I think most people that are going to decide to stay here are likely decent at character building, at the very least. This is more of a powergamer server than a RP server, so if that is not of interest to someone, they are likely not going to stick around whether there are builds provided for them or not.

I agree with TwinHaelix, with special emphasis on extraordinarily useful :)

The problem with the Content Library regarding information is that there is enough of it that is either lacking, or incorrect, so that one really cannot trust to any particular thing being correct. And 'incorrect' is 10 times worse than lacking, because the whole reason to document something is so people do not feel the need to ask questions about it, thereby creating not a desire to know the unknown but a false assurance of what you think you know, but not really :)

More helpful than newbie builds, in my opinion, would be if maybe there was a post for each class, skill, feat-type, and spells by level maybe, with veterans of the server posting significant rule changes regarding those classes that have not been documented (or are incredibly difficult documentations to find). I spent about a month going through the Content Library making notes on everything that had been changed from the core rules. But I learned more in about 5 minutes just listening to random chat over the Shout channel (things like the range for Mass Cure spells having been changed to affect all party members wherever they are, as long as they are on the same map, and 100 - Survival skill being the percent chance you will be interrupted while resting). Things like that are so different from the core rules that no one would ever know to have reason to even ask about such things and, therefore, ideally should be available to be learned from the beginning.

In other words, rather than providing a solid build (Giving a man a fish), provide the knowledge required for people to make better builds for themselves (Teaching a man to fish). Of the six builds I have worked on here, five were completely incapacitated by lack of documentation and the last merely severely compromised, so this is definitely an interest of mine :)

addict-ant

Post#8 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Perhaps you could find ways to add to this thread that TwinHaelix just brought to the fore:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4337&p=36037#p36037

MadMage999

Post#9 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Good suggestions, Ariakus. Keeping up on documentation and the accuracy/availability thereof is a constant challenge.

Unfortunately as a staff we just don't have the time to do everything, however volunteers to add to/edit the wiki or submit suggested changes to the site docs are welcome.

If you can list the things that need to be edited to be accurate, I can make a special effort to see them updated.
Co-Founder: Arcane Society

TwinHaelix

Post#10 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:04 pm

MadMage999 wrote:volunteers to add to/edit the wiki or submit suggested changes to the site docs are welcome.

Could it be beneficial to offer a bounty for updating the Wiki?

What if there was a stickied post somewhere for people to post links to Wiki pages they had updated. Then, if you updated the wiki under an account with the same name as your forum username, mods could review the stickied post by checking the links to your wiki articles and verifying that your changes were correct.

For example, I could post the link to my diff of the change history to the page for the Haste spell:
http://nwn2-realms-of-trinity.wikia.com ... oldid=5014

This makes it easy to see what was changed, and the change is attributed to a user with the same username as my forum username. The mod could then choose to award a bounty to the player with that ID. Perhaps 1 wish shard per meaningful edit to a page or new page?

Rules could include:
  • Only edits made by a wiki user having an identical username to the forum user posting the link(s) would be eligible for the bounty
  • A linked page is only eligible for a bounty if it accurately reflects the current state of RoT at the time of the edit (i.e. no reward for updating a page with incorrect information).
  • Mods reserve the right not to award a bounty for changes they deem insignificant (fixing a minor typo, etc.)

The Content Library has some out-of-date info as well, but as far as I know, that cannot be edited by volunteers.

Return to “The O' Family Guild”